↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > LAND ROVER DEFENDER 2011 - USELESS OFF ROAD
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Andrea

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Hey Matt,

That's exactly it. In my experience with TC it should be switched off in soft soft sand, and arguably mud as well but ALL other off road situations the TC is a blessing. My issue is exactly that, the TC on the 11 is not effeciant so it does not activate when traversing sticky situations. The TC normally reacts instantly to minute slip and according to LR they have changed this soviet reacts less effectively , something I find hard to believe!!!!
Post #154569 9th Jul 2012 8:05pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Just edited my last post with this - sorry for repeating myself Embarassed :

Do you know at what speed the Wabco system cuts in?
Might it be possible for the dealer to tweak the software of the Bosch unit?

If the TC is really the only difference between your vehicles (and not anti-rollers etc.) it's obviously very significant for your driving style. It's something I never considered before as I only hear of people turning it off Shocked Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #154570 9th Jul 2012 8:09pm
Andrea

No worries mate!!Wink

Well as far as I can tell the 2 cars are identicle in every single way... Same anti roll bars same terrain same driver same everything. I did speak to LR about tweaking the response time of the TC and they reported that it is not possible. What gets to me is that the minute the car goes out of warranty they will find the problem!!!!!

I'm wondering if I should talk to LR in the UK directly? Is this possible?
Post #154581 9th Jul 2012 8:22pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
Andrea wrote:
Hey Matt,

That's exactly it. In my experience with TC it should be switched off in soft soft sand, and arguably mud as well but ALL other off road situations the TC is a blessing. My issue is exactly that, the TC on the 11 is not effeciant so it does not activate when traversing sticky situations. The TC normally reacts instantly to minute slip and according to LR they have changed this soviet reacts less effectively , something I find hard to believe!!!!

I think the speed refers to the speed of the spinning wheel, not the speed of the vehicle. When you start to lose traction you need to use more throttle to get the speed of the spinning wheel up otherwise the TC won't work. I know the normal reaction is to ease off and that effectively disables the TC.

It sounds to me (and the LR dealership i suspect) as if you're just not driving to suit the vehicle. Do LR offer driver training locally to you like the LR Experience training they offer in the UK ? If so it might be worth signing up for it as the instructors there will be able to show you how best to use the vehicle.
Post #154583 9th Jul 2012 8:25pm
Andrea

You have a good point with the speed of the spinning wheel but that means that on the 11 model the traction control is indeed less effective because I drive the 09 over easily. I used to work for LR experience here in SA but stopped before 2010. I bought the puma because of its superior off road ability when compared to other defenders.

I am pretty sure I'm driving it correctly without sounding bad, but even if I where to be making an error TC on the 09 makes any driver look like a seasoned professional whereas the 11 is less effective?

My issue is that LR are avoiding an issue with my 11 TC and i wanted to know if anybody out there has experienced similar issues? I wish we could meet up so I could show everybody the difference.

The LR guy drove both my cars on his test track at the dealer, the 09 sails over, the 11 does not!!!!
Post #154594 9th Jul 2012 8:38pm
Andrea

Hey guys,

So, looks like the problem here may be sorted out.

I took the car to another LR dealership. The technition met with me on SATURDAY and took the car for a drive on the track. It was clear to him that there was somthing wrong with my car so instaed of telling me everything was fine they started playing around with different Defenders and comparing. My TC seemed to be activating but was very lazy for lack of a better word, in other words it would activate, but not stop a tractionless tire from spinning completely which meant there was not sufficient drive to the other tires to move over tough obstacles. What they did was "reset" the TC?? Dont know how? They blead the ABS system and break sytem and tighened up a sweating bolt in the breaking system... Problem solved... well for now!

I was told to try it again on the same obstacles, and if it didnt perform to my satisfaction I should take a video of what the car does, and they would then take it further. If I was still not satisfied they would call for and entire new ABS - TC unit!!!!

That was great service. Thank you to all the blokes at Land Rover Centurion. Service with a smile, and faith restored in my shorti.
Post #155831 16th Jul 2012 8:31am
tatra805

Slovakia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Andrea, great you have found the problem, good to know for all of us and indeed unexpected service.

Fingers crossed it is not something that comes back over time.

Smile
Post #155851 16th Jul 2012 9:23am
Odin

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
I'm impressed that you finally found someone who knows their stuff. Finally a good result and well done for such tenacity!
Post #155986 16th Jul 2012 8:42pm
Regard

South Africa 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
Must say......

The okes from Centurion Land Rover is the best in the business!

Esp. the head Defender technician Wimpie Willers! He solves most problems.
Post #156403 18th Jul 2012 11:17am
Marius

South Africa 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
I have an MY11 Puma 110 and I have no problems.

Did the Gerotech axle twisters without any problems. The guy told me the wheel will turn 3/4 before TC will kick in - and that's what happened. So you did get some slip but only for that 3/4 turn.
Post #157451 23rd Jul 2012 2:39pm
BruceT

South Africa 
I have no problems with mine either (MY11) and it is put through some heavy terrain especially when I am on anti poaching patrols and when I tow my heavy off road caravan.......initially I struggled as I came from a TD5 pre TC....had to learn to drive differently i.e. keep the accelerator steady instead of tapping off but once I got used to this I am so impressed with the TC, especially in deep Kalahari sand while towing.

I have spoken to another guy who felt the same way as Andrea and I told him that there must be something wrong with his vehicle. Glad to see it seem Andrea has proven me right with what they found regarding his problem.
Post #157456 23rd Jul 2012 3:03pm
WinstonGSI

South Africa 
Bruce.
I have caught up on your threads on this forum, thanks, and this just confirms what I have said all along. My TC does not work properly. It is far too slow. I am going to pay Mr Wimpie williers from Centurion LR a visit like your friend andrea did
cheers
winston Defenderman
Post #157638 24th Jul 2012 9:52am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BruceT

South Africa 
WinstonGSI wrote:
Bruce.
I have caught up on your threads on this forum, thanks, and this just confirms what I have said all along. My TC does not work properly. It is far too slow. I am going to pay Mr Wimpie williers from Centurion LR a visit like your friend andrea did
cheers
winston

Good luck Winston
Post #157660 24th Jul 2012 12:12pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
With all the historical bad feedback from the South African members about poor Land Rover service over there it is great to hear that you have found someone that 'knows his stuff!' Hope Land Rover SA appreciates and values 'Wimpie Williers' and what he has to offer as much as you do!

Good news! Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #157694 24th Jul 2012 2:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12