↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > ecu programming - help - any ideas or know anyone who can?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
ecu programming - help - any ideas or know anyone who can?
Can anyone assist?

I bought a BBS MSV-2 extreme at the beginning of the year and have been slowly learning what it does and why, had a few teething problems that BBS supplied new files for and all started to go well.

Last night I had a rare hour to spare so I tried to update the ecu to the latest spec of file with the flash file loader, all was going to plan until it 'stopped communicating' mid flow & has now wiped the ecu and despite several attempts I cannot get it to reload. Evil or Very Mad

I have been talking to Ronnie on the BBS forum please see below, anybody got any ideas of what I can try, or is anyone local to me (Broadway / Evesham area) business or private that they can recommend? Thumbs Up

thanks Keith

Hi Ronnie,

Checked as you asked and it reset 17 times in 5 minutes, so it performed as you said it would.

I tried to program the ecu again as follows:

The msv was powered by mains adapter, the battery had been on charge overnight.

I cleaned the battery terminals, checked the input plug under the dash as carefully as I can, did a hard boot of the vehicle ecu by holding the leads together then started the process again.

Battery voltage was 12.55v at the leads (not the terminals).

Reloaded the map and started transfer, the screen flashes too quickly to see all the text, but I did see ECU awake, 12%, 15% & 91% (& reboot?) then I get the ecu has stopped communicating with ..... please check all connections and try again screen.

I connected a battery charger, voltage went up to 13.5v and I tried again, exactly the same result.

Any ideas of what I am doing wrong, or what the fault might be?

I don't understand why there was sufficient communication to erase everything, but not to rewrite it?

Thanks in advance Ickle
Post #152079 26th Jun 2012 9:06pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Pete from Bell Auto Services..... Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #152083 26th Jun 2012 9:13pm
ickle

Hi Mal,

It was Pete who wanted me to update the ECU so I could then get one of his remaps from BBS and load it at home.....

Keith
Post #152085 26th Jun 2012 9:16pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Brian, Lorryman is the one to speak to Thumbs Up NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #152092 26th Jun 2012 9:45pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
ickle wrote:
Hi Mal, It was Pete who wanted me to update the ECU so I could then get one of his remaps from BBS and load it at home.....Keith

I noticed at the B & W show that Pete sells the Black Box Solutions range. It would surely be in both your interests to get it sorted. Pete's an amiable guy who has helped me out (despite having no obligation) and given me good advice more than once. Have you spoken to him since your issues?

As Fekete stated Lorryman would be a good choice too! Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #152161 27th Jun 2012 11:04am
farmer giles

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Cairns Blue
hi keith,
you could try alan astons in evesham 01386 760700 and ask for Paul. They do help out main dealers with these types of issues.
Thumbs Up
Post #152168 27th Jun 2012 11:20am
Lorryman100

Hi Keith,

I have not been around much lately, but thought you had already upgraded the ECU a couple of months ago? I have just caught up on your posts on the BBS forum and can see the issues you are having.

As you have updated VE to 1.29b and transferred the relevant modules over on to the server, to overwrite the existing ones, first thing is to check the operation of the MSV2 to rule that out as the cause. If you plug it in can you access the IPAC, AS10 and ABS modules now that the EMS is not responding, is the EMS responding or are you getting a VSE error message? Can you access the EMS module? If so go to the EMS settings/information page and let me know what is logged in SOFTWARE NUMBER and MAIN CALIBRATION PART NUMBER ? I would be looking to see if the flash was successful thinking the MSV was sending an error message for one reason or another. Also I would not expect the Puma to start after the flash before first redoing DDS learn in the 10AS module. This is to synchronize the EMS and 10AS so that it will mobilize the immobilizer. If this is the only cause of the non start then it will never start until done. You would also probably need to redo Pilot correction learn (16 digit Injector Hex codes) and Fuel pump replacement, 'pump learning procedure' to calibrate itself to the new EMS software.

If none of the above worked then I would be thinking of the power issue when writing the files. Ensure everything is switched off including interior lights, if the door is open. A small drop in voltage can cause the whole thing to go tits up!! I use a CTEK CTE-XS7000 Car Battery Charger 8 Stage 7Amp 12 Volt (Multi Functional) charger which is connected every time I use a diagnostic tool as it maintains a constant maintenance charge which keeps a constant voltage when using diagnostic, flash tools.

If I remember correctly from the last time we chatted your software version is AAA and you want to update to AAE? Have you tried re installing AAA? Also the history of your Puma would have me checking the ECU build number to ensure that the ECU is not to blame.

Click image to enlarge

There was some faulty ECU's fitted pre 14th October 2009. Also not knowing the history of the vehicle completely and not knowing how many times has it been flashed previously to you owning it, remembering there is a finite amount of times, IIRC 13 or 14 times?

In all honesty though I think the vehicle voltage is dropping slightly before the flash is complete causing the cycle not to complete. And I think it would erase the previous software version stored before writing the new software version and if this cycle did not complete then it would act as if the EMS was erased, because it has been to allow writing of the new files.

EDIT: If you can get into the IPAC module will you check tested DTC's page and let me know if U0100 is logged?

HTH Brian.

Last edited by Lorryman100 on 28th Jun 2012 12:44am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #152183 27th Jun 2012 12:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Just a thought, what is shown on the MSV-2 extreme screen when your pc says its failed ? I find it very odd that you cant program the ecu as i have programed many of them with nearly all the possibile calibration sets.

give me a mail if its faster for you and ill help as i can. os if you wish send me your ecu and ill try and program it here for you though this should be a last resort as you really should not have a problem with the msv2.

PS are you using a use to serial converter ?

Pete
Post #152214 27th Jun 2012 3:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ickle

Dear Brian & Pete,

Thanks for all the info & I will go through them tonight and reply tomorrow.

Thanks again

Keith
Post #152265 27th Jun 2012 8:41pm
ickle

Dear Brian & Pete,

Please find a copy of the post I just put on BBS forum.

Dear Ronnie,

Lorryman & Pete both very kindly sent me a list of tests / thoughts and ideas to help & i cannot thank them or you enough for this help.

I have taken a day off work and am starting to work through them this morning.

I fitted a brand new 800amp battery and have connected the old one with jump leads to ensure no voltage problems.

This morning I cannot access any part of the cars system at all I purely get a VSE006 code, I re did the communications test you asked me to do previously and it gave a vse004 error this time.

I checked/wiggled all the connections and redid the test, it started again with a restart every 18 seconds or so.

Without moving any lead apart from plugging in under the dash I tried again to get the fault codes from the car and again I got VSE006.

Unplugged the lead from the dash did another communication test and again I get VSE004 and 0 successful restarts.

I think the fault must be an intermittent break / bad connection in one of the leads?

Is there anything else I can try?

Kind regards

Ickle

Ian at IRB says he will look at it tomorrow afternoon (he is about 40 miles away & my friend will tow me there) so at least I will hopefully get mobile for the weekend, albeit substantially poorer & with little confidence in my car for the long term or BBS...................
Post #152379 28th Jun 2012 10:28am
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
just posted to you on bbs forum, it sounds like a pc or cable error you are having. the bbs post gives you a few things to check.

pete
Post #152381 28th Jun 2012 10:32am
Lorryman100

Keith,

does the MSV2 extreme communicate in stand alone mode, not connected to the PC with the serial leads? See if you can get access to the EMS or IPAC. Also check the MSV's screen when doing this to see what is being displayed.

Brian.
Post #152392 28th Jun 2012 11:14am
Lorryman100

If you get no comms, and before you throw the tool out of the nearest window Whistle Check the following fuses in the main fuse box, Fuse 38 10Amps and Fuse 41 5Amps. Also there is another fuse hidden from view for the EMS, and it is a 15Amp fuse that sits in its own holder. It is located at C0602 in the below pic.

Brian.
Post #152398 28th Jun 2012 11:34am
ickle

Hi Brian,

Plugged into dash, led on plug lights up, main processor.........etc....press any key for stand alone operation screen is on MSV

Have pressed all keys and nothing happens.

Thanks again

Keith
Post #152402 28th Jun 2012 11:46am
ickle

Will go and check fuses!
Post #152403 28th Jun 2012 11:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>