↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma gearbox overfill ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
MartinK wrote:
Yes the Puma manual says measure out 2.2 litres...

On mine this was about 3mm below the filler hole.

Tim_NZ wrote:
I had about 4.5 litres come out of my 110's gearbox, looks like it got filled twice! I put the recommended 2.2l back in and it runs cooler now Smile

Cheers,

Tim

If 2.2 litres takes it to 3mm below the hole, I don't see how you could get 4.5 litre in the box! Shocked
Post #147894 31st May 2012 12:19pm
vaucluse

2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Java Black
Does anyone know how much oil it would take to fill the gearbox on a Puma to the filler plug hole?

I've had some issues following a clutch change and now when I take a drive down the motorway it gets impossibly hot inside the 110 SW - the area around the seat boxes and the handbrake are fiercely hot. I suspect they may have toppped up my gearbox.

Any ideas?
Post #147920 31st May 2012 2:15pm
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
ah that all makes sense now. When I bought mine new last August I remarked as to how hot the centre tray got after a long journey. Then I changed the gearbox oil (after 500 miles or so). 3 litres of swarfy gritty oil drained out and I refilled with the recommended 2.2 litres. Since then there has been no hot cubby tray issues but I thought nothing of it until now. So it seems too much heat indicates an overfilled gearbox.
Post #148005 31st May 2012 8:33pm
grat

Netherlands 
I drained and refilled the gearbox this morning. About 3.2 litres came out, so filling to the filling hole level would result in overfilling by about one litre or 50% of the recommended amount of transmission oil.

Always good to check the underside as I noticed a leak between the front differential and the forward propshaft which is probably due to a worn seal. Some more work next week !
Post #148042 1st Jun 2012 8:32am
Tim_NZ

Australia 
blackwolf wrote:
MartinK wrote:
Yes the Puma manual says measure out 2.2 litres...

On mine this was about 3mm below the filler hole.

Tim_NZ wrote:
I had about 4.5 litres come out of my 110's gearbox, looks like it got filled twice! I put the recommended 2.2l back in and it runs cooler now Smile

Cheers,

Tim

If 2.2 litres takes it to 3mm below the hole, I don't see how you could get 4.5 litre in the box! Shocked

This was the first oil change from when the vehicle was new, so the gearbox would have been overfilled at manufacturing. When I undid the filler plug first, (to allow the oil to drain eaiser), I got a face full of oil Sad

Cheers,

Tim
Post #148073 1st Jun 2012 10:51am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Tim_NZ wrote:
This was the first oil change from when the vehicle was new, so the gearbox would have been overfilled at manufacturing. When I undid the filler plug first, (to allow the oil to drain eaiser), I got a face full of oil Sad

It seems to be the norm for the factory to overfill. The front right wheel hub was dripping with grease when I took delivery of mine --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #148074 1st Jun 2012 10:52am
Tony

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
It beats me why a company puts a filler plug hole in the gearbox which is not in the position where it can also act as a level. So, how do we and the garages check the level between oil changes? - drain the oil, make sure it's the right amount then pour it back in?

Cheers
Tony
Post #148117 1st Jun 2012 1:40pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Tim_NZ wrote:

Cheers,

Tim

Mine was the other way around! I only got 2 litres out when I drained...about 200 ml short! Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #148119 1st Jun 2012 1:48pm
grat

Netherlands 
Tony wrote:
It beats me why a company puts a filler plug hole in the gearbox which is not in the position where it can also act as a level. So, how do we and the garages check the level between oil changes? - drain the oil, make sure it's the right amount then pour it back in?

Cheers
Tony

Agree. It is quite silly engineering. If they would have drilled the filling hole a centimeter lower, the risk of overfilling and seal damage would be greatly reduced.
Post #148123 1st Jun 2012 2:09pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
grat wrote:
Tony wrote:

Cheers
Tony

Agree. It is quite silly engineering. If they would have drilled the filling hole a centimeter lower, the risk of overfilling and seal damage would be greatly reduced.

I wonder if it is once again the result of the engine/gearbox being installed on the tilt in the Puma. Perhaps in a Transit etc the box is level and the filler is in the right place. Just a thought.

Mind you the difference seems rather extreme for this.
Post #148130 1st Jun 2012 2:44pm
vaucluse

Tim_NZ wrote:

Cheers,

Tim

Hey Tim,

Did you find the seat box and handbrake area really hot before you drained down?
Post #148132 1st Jun 2012 2:49pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Tony wrote:

Cheers
Tony

Got to agree - seems stupid (for whatever reason they did it) It is daft to not have a way to check the level. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #148154 1st Jun 2012 4:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
vaucluse

My worst fears just confirmed - I now have a leak on the gearbox which explains the burning oil smell and excessive heat I've just experience on a trip from London to Cumbria and back. I now know for sure that the garage overfilled my gearbox in their efforts to get rid of a metallic ringing noise which appeared following a clutch replacement.
Does anyone know which seal fails as a result of overfilling the puma gearbox? The leak seams to be coming from around the filler plug area and dripping onto the front drive flange and exhaust pipe directly below.
Post #148192 1st Jun 2012 8:50pm
Bravemeister

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tamar Blue
Vaucluse,

Did you get to the bottom of your leaking gearbox as i think i have the same problem......

Starting to think its the prop oil seals but i cant be sure
Post #419684 28th Apr 2015 10:22am
AlanH

Australia 
What totally disgraceful workmanship for oil to come out of a box full of swarf and other crap! In the last year or so of my apprenticeship moons ago the first job I did when getting a batch of boxes to build for road pavers or graders was to ensure the inside was spotless.
Gently blow all drilled and threaded bolt holes out and wash the interior of anything not part of a box. I took great pride in what I did and was shocked by some of the "big hammer men" supposedly skilled and the things they got up to, to get work done extra quick to earn more bonus.
Luckily we had some highly competent inspectors who also noticed and they didn't get what were considered plum jobs again. Trouble was I used to get the job of redoing their cock ups! Sad
I shakes me head in horror.
AlanH.
Post #420101 30th Apr 2015 9:02am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>