↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Grumpy Old Man Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 44 of 265 <123 ... 434445 ... 263264265>
Print this entire topic · 
Projectblue

England 
I met another 4x4 on a narrow lane with virtually no passing places, having just loaded some fencing. We sat and looked at each other and the chap got out of his BMW X5 and came over and politely said "you probably can't see it, but I've got a trailer on the back so can't reverse".
I looked over my shoulder down the length of the 110 to the 12ft loaded trailer behind.

He said "ooh. But mine is really small and very hard to see as it's out of sight, at least you can see yours". So I got out (still not saying anything) and walked to his. He had an empty B&Q special, about the size of a biscuit tin. I unhooked it. Picked it up and walked past his X5, past mine and the trailer and propped it up in the lane.
"Problem solved" I said and got back in the Defender and watch him reverse badly for about 200yds. Laughing
Post #147681 30th May 2012 1:08pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Projectblue wrote:
I met another 4x4 on a narrow lane with virtually no passing places, having just loaded some fencing. We sat and looked at each other and the chap got out of his BMW X5 and came over and politely said "you probably can't see it, but I've got a trailer on the back so can't reverse".
I looked over my shoulder down the length of the 110 to the 12ft loaded trailer behind.

He said "ooh. But mine is really small and very hard to see as it's out of sight, at least you can see yours". So I got out (still not saying anything) and walked to his. He had an empty B&Q special, about the size of a biscuit tin. I unhooked it. Picked it up and walked past his X5, past mine and the trailer and propped it up in the lane.
"Problem solved" I said and got back in the Defender and watch him reverse badly for about 200yds. Laughing

Now that takes some .... Thumbs Up Laughing
Post #147683 30th May 2012 1:11pm
Small Clanger

United Kingdom 
I know they're not technically doing anything wrong BUT, I find it rather irritating when having to drive along behind someone (probably a retired geography teacher) who regards himself as The Official Observer Of Her Majesty's Highway Speed Limits.
29.5 in a 30 zone. 39.5 in a 40 zone and so on.

It's a good job my 90 is not fitted with a laser-guided vapourising cannon. Twisted Evil
Post #147763 30th May 2012 7:21pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
Small Clanger wrote:
I know they're not technically doing anything wrong BUT, I find it rather irritating when having to drive along behind someone (probably a retired geography teacher) who regards himself as The Official Observer Of Her Majesty's Highway Speed Limits.

It's a good job my 90 is not fitted with a laser-guided vapourising cannon. Twisted Evil

Why is it irritating? Because YOU want to ignore the speed limit? I find people who speed in built up areas REALLY irritating, thinking somehow they are 'special' and the laws (and safety issues) don't apply to them.... I go up to the speed limit and not beyond if I can help it (so not going unnecessarily slow) and if you want to aim your imaginary laser-guided vapourising cannon at my 90, then feel free - at least you will still be behind me, driving safely through OUR towns....
Whistle Whistle Wink Wink
Post #147779 30th May 2012 8:43pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Small Clanger wrote:

Know what you are saying Whistle Whistle

Andy
Post #147787 30th May 2012 8:57pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
People speeding through our two way traffic light system. Why is being held for 28 seconds such a problem that it makes people so angry. Chill out we only have it up to stop us dropping stuff on your motors and stop you running over us.

The other thing about traffic lights that makes me laugh is people flashing at them, they don't work like that. Even less likely if I've turned them to all red.
Post #147807 30th May 2012 10:29pm
xatzhs

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
RobKeay wrote:
People speeding through our two way traffic light system. Why is being held for 28 seconds such a problem that it makes people so angry. Chill out we only have it up to stop us dropping stuff on your motors and stop you running over us.

The other thing about traffic lights that makes me laugh is people flashing at them, they don't work like that. Even less likely if I've turned them to all red.

Completely agree!

HOWEVER... there is NOTHING more frustrating than being well within the green light number of cars (if that makes sense) and then some blithering idiot ahead of you doesn't pay attention and wastes a load of time until someone gives them a little toot. By which time it is usually going amber! Evil or Very Mad
Post #147828 30th May 2012 11:30pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Small Clanger wrote:

I don't mind that too much as it is worse in Germany.... Way worse.

My pet hate is people who do 40 on the main road with a attitude of ' it is a limit, not a target' but then keep doing 40 through a 30...... It is like they only have one speed!

Speed limits out here are 50 on main roads and 60 on the motorway. I would then say 50% of the main roads are speed limit of 40!!! Gets emotional at times.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #147838 31st May 2012 5:45am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
50H wrote:
Usually an Audi, driven by a sharp-suited idiot.

Funnily enough, it's usually BMW drivers out here (my pet hate). Audis aren't aggressive enough for the "Sharp Suits".
It always surprises me when I come to the UK how different the national stereotypes are Laughing

Guess what other car I have Whistle

Glynparry25 wrote:
I don't mind that too much as it is worse in Germany.... Way worse.

Absolutely! And what p*sses me off are those people that get flashed, happily pay their tickets and call it their "Rasergebühr" ("racing charge") as if they've paid to drive dangerously Evil or Very Mad Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #147840 31st May 2012 6:07am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Glynparry25 wrote:

My pet hate is people who do 40 on the main road with a attitude of ' it is a limit, not a target' but then keep doing 40 through a 30...... It is like they only have one speed!

Glyn Dog Sheep

Second that! Usually it is symptomatic of a driver who has zero situational awareness and is a flaming menace on the road, and we have more than our fair share here in Dorset. I would take people who do this off the road without hesitation if it was up to me.

Driving is a privilege not a right - at least it should be!
Post #147896 31st May 2012 12:28pm
Projectblue

England 
Small Clanger wrote:

I knew you were going to get flamed for this one Mr. Green However I will try to enlighten you as to the reason why I am now one of the above people - I went on a naughty boys/girls course for an infraction Whistle

I drive an M3 as well as a Land Rover. It's quick, very quick. It's got mahooosive brakes and whacking big tyres - it can out brake the Highway code distances with ease. I've been driving 25+ years and think I'm above average. then I went on the course thinking 'get it over with, don't get the points'. What I learnt in that course made me change my driving style that I'd had for 20 years (first 5 I was a lunatic Whistle ). Doesn't matter which car I'm driving, I no longer drive at 35 in a 30, but at 30 (well, indicated) and I no longer drive at 45 in a 40. I still drive according to the road conditions and traffic in national speed limit areas however.

Finally:
If you travel in 30 limit at 30 it will take you 4 minutes to cover 2 miles. If you travel at 37.5mph, 25% quicker, it will take just 3 minutes to cover 2 miles. What is so important that you would risk killing someone to shave 1 minute off?

I don't consider myself to be the Queens own observer of speed limits. I just choose to drive in accordance with the law in those particular areas, because that's where the highest number of risks are. It's my choice, if you can overtake me, go right ahead.

What amazes me are the people who do 50 in a national speed limit and then do 37 in a 30. That's just poor driving.
Post #147902 31st May 2012 12:42pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
The folks who do 45 in a 60, then carry on doing 45 in a 30 probably think they can avoid a fine by "averaging" their speed. Clearly they have no idea how speed cameras work. It must be accepted though that the dangerous one is NOT the slow driver, its the idiots who must-get-past-no-matter-what. As you will all no doubt know, lorries are limited to 40mph on single carriageway roads, with severe penalties for speeding. But to do it is frightening. Yesterday I have a van overtake me going round a right hand bend with double solid-white lines, and was being tailgated all the way by an artic who obviously doesn't care as much about his licence as i do mine.
As was said above, if you want to get past, do so, but at least do it safely. And yes I stick to 50 on an S/C in my Defender as well. At the end of the day the government take enough out of my pocket in tax, no way am I going to voluntarily hand over any more money, and if complying with the law is inconvenient for other people well that's just unfortunate for them, maybe they should take a chill pill.
Post #147913 31st May 2012 1:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
RobKeay wrote:

I never even knew about this until maybe a year or two ago, when I saw a car flashing at an empty road. The guy I was working with said what it was about. I just concluded that some people are either really gullible, or really thick, or both.
Post #147914 31st May 2012 1:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
Drivers that drive too fast in the wrong conditions / dangerous places and roads and drivers that drive too slow on the main roads designed for higher speed. Double dutch? Whistle
Post #147919 31st May 2012 2:02pm
ken

United Kingdom 
I think it’s hilarious when people brake for an Average speed camera
What part of Average is unclear and yes seen plenty of tickets to know that they work
Post #147922 31st May 2012 2:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 44 of 265 <123 ... 434445 ... 263264265>