↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Emergency Key Access (EKA)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
krispe

Australia 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
My brand new Puma 2.2 still mentions how to use the EKA in the manual.
I have asked my dealer for it, no response as yet.... Rolling Eyes

Kris
Post #118083 24th Jan 2012 1:51pm
Dean Watson

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Stornoway Grey
EKA Code
All

Yes it is still relevant, the dealers no jack sh** ring landrover customer services and they will send the code for ,security reasons, to you nearest main stealer and you can pick it up from there.
Got my dc in april still separate key and plipper and you do need the code in order to start the vehicle without the plipper.
Deano
Post #118099 24th Jan 2012 2:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AlpsLandy

France 
Thanks Dean Thumbs Up 2011 Defender 90 SW
2006 Discovery 3 HSE
Post #118101 24th Jan 2012 2:50pm
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Is this a new'ish intentional LR security policy ? Only the owner is to know the EKA and not the dealer ? This would eliminate the risk of it falling into the wrong hands I guess.

Only slight flaw in their plan is that they forgot to tell the affected owners Smile

I understand from Feb'11 - LR rolled out some enhancements to the Defender alarm system (my best guess is at least a BBUS is fitted as standard). Could they have also taken the decision to stop providing the EKA's to the dealers systems at around this time too ? Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #118147 24th Jan 2012 5:20pm
llessur

United Kingdom 
Just really to confirm what has already been said.
Sept 2011 90XS.
Dealer salesman said on collection that code no longer supplied or needed.
So pushed service manager and he got it off their system but it took about 4 weeks after the vehicle was registered for Land Rover to update their system with the details before the dealer could view them.
Tried the code and it works, but a bit off a faff and the wife thought I had gone crazy!
Post #118243 24th Jan 2012 9:33pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Got onto Land Rover Customer Services, they said Emergency Key Access IS applicable, the dealer should get onto “Land Rover Traceability”

Phoned dealer’s service dept. yesterday, got the following e-mail today:

“Following on from our conversation yesterday in regards to your request for an EKA code for your Defender, I have been in contact with Land Rover and have managed to get hold of an EKA code.

I must apologise as we were under the impression that as they don’t put them on the vehicles build spec for the Defender that they don’t have one.

The EKA Code for your Vehicle is: 9999 [not really!]

Once again sorry we were not aware of this information.”

There ya go….

Peter
Post #118668 26th Jan 2012 4:10pm
AlpsLandy

France 
Went to collect from the dealer today after 3 days investigating the water ingress (so that's sorted then Rolling with laughter ).

Thought I would ask for the EKA and prepared for a difficult couple of minutes... Service manager said no probs and after a quick play with his keyboard said 'there you go'. Looks like some dealers are aware anyway - now back to my wet feet... 2011 Defender 90 SW
2006 Discovery 3 HSE
Post #118690 26th Jan 2012 5:56pm
MarkVesnaG

Australia 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Embarassed whats fob stand for ?
Post #119992 31st Jan 2012 2:34am
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Lorryman100 wrote:
Birdy, if you get no joy with the dealer supplying an EKA code it would be worth asking them exactly how you are supposed to get home if:

a: you lose the fob?
b: the fob batteries die?
c: the fob is knackered for whatever reason?

because then the Puma is immobilised through the passive immobiliser and you need a EKA code to bypass it for one ignition cycle as a get you home measure.

Brian.

The fob battery should not die. If you look at the list of jobs as described by the mother house which a LR dealer should do during the annual maintenance, you will see that replacing the battery in the fob is part of that. Take both keys and fob to the dealer at maintenance time, and make sure they do their job properly. Worth pointing this out to them, and if they pretend not to hear you, ask to see the LR directions they get. You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #119995 31st Jan 2012 3:02am
dgardel

Italy 
MarkVesnaG wrote:
Embarassed whats fob stand for ?

It is the alarm remote Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #132445 19th Mar 2012 12:23am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
victorian

United Kingdom 
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I've just acquired an '09 110 with only one key and I'd like to get a spare.

The key is a solid moulded affair but there is no Land Rover remote fob. Instead, it has a 3rd party alarm with the remote for that. Is it likely that the 3rd party device (Cobra) controls the Land Rover immobiliser, or is it going to just be an alarm?

Am I correct to think that the transponder chip is sealed inside the key moulding? If so, what's the best way to get a spare? The dealer is desperately vague about this.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.
Post #142108 27th Apr 2012 2:59pm
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
victorian wrote:
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I've just acquired an '09 110 with only one key and I'd like to get a spare.

The key is a solid moulded affair but there is no Land Rover remote fob. Instead, it has a 3rd party alarm with the remote for that. Is it likely that the 3rd party device (Cobra) controls the Land Rover immobiliser, or is it going to just be an alarm?

Am I correct to think that the transponder chip is sealed inside the key moulding? If so, what's the best way to get a spare? The dealer is desperately vague about this.

You can buy another key from Mr Gardel when he arranges the next group buy Thumbs Up

But you should be able to get another from Lr dealer I,d have thought.

Dj 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #142140 27th Apr 2012 5:36pm
Lorryman100

victorian wrote:

The 10AS Alarm fitted on most LR defenders is an alarm and immobilizer unit. The passive immobilizer requires the LR fob to be in close proximity to the ignition as it interacts with the transducer coil mounted there. If there is an after market alarm system fitted and the 10AS is still present then the 10AS will have all of the necessary functions disabled to account for the missing LR remote. The cobra system may just be an alarm unit but they also come with immobilizers depending on which model you have fitted. Most key cutting places will be able to cut a new key for you and it will work as the LR fob has all the necessary trickery inside it to allow use with the 10AS unit.

HTH Brian.
Post #142286 28th Apr 2012 7:01pm
victorian

United Kingdom 
Thank you very much for that response Brian but I am still trying to understand where the 'fob' actually is? The key is a solid moulded affair with no obvious way to open it and insert a chip. Are the chips permanently moulded inside the key, in which case how do you program them?

Sorry to be dumb. The 10AS is present, presumably disabled as you say.
Post #142697 1st May 2012 10:02am
Lorryman100

There is nothing inside the key moulding, it is just an ignition key. The electronics for the Alarm system are inside the Alarm fob, the black two button piece of plastic that comes with the defender if fitted with a factory 10AS alarm system.

Click image to enlarge

Brian.
Post #142700 1st May 2012 10:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>