↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Best Snorkel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Anyone know where to get the small (about 12") rubber pipe that fits between the wing-side-pipe and the upright stack, on Mantec type snorkels?

(I've not contacted Mantec yet, before anyone says that, but I think from previousl experience it's going to be a F.O! from them)
Post #140583 20th Apr 2012 7:19pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 
It's not THIS ONE by any chance? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #140598 20th Apr 2012 8:19pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 
MK wrote:
Just look at the pics. I did a kind of experiment where at the end I filled the hollow bottom and sides giving a more "gentle" shape so the air passed through more freely. So at the end I got more air (or at least faster).

However, if all this made any big difference in performance?..... Question

Something to consider is the volume of air sucked by the engine and how much air passes through the RAI at any speed.

Hmm, I thought you had something a bit more scientific than that, to be honest. There must be hundreds, or possibly even thousands, of Land Rovers fitted with these things and I've never heard anybody complain that performance had suffered as a result.

My only experience is of them fitted to 300tdi Discoverys and, if anything, performance was improved as the Safari was considerably less restrictive than the standard set-up. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #140600 20th Apr 2012 8:25pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
I can mention some reading about fluids and how they move inside a pipe. For that some higher maths are needed. Imagine how bettter the performance on your Discos would have been with an improved RAI Thumbs Up Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #140601 20th Apr 2012 8:29pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Surely the Safari type's would add a slight "Ram" affect to the air when in motion in affect helping and slightly forcing air into the air intake system? Thumbs Up Can't see how the Mantec version would have quite so much effects.
Post #140603 20th Apr 2012 8:38pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
It's not THIS ONE by any chance?

That's the one.... but £30! Shocked Shocked Shocked
Post #140604 20th Apr 2012 8:40pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
When selecting a snorkel it all comes down to necessity and then afterwards preference

For example:

I needed a snorkel which allowed the following:

- Deep wading.
- Fit with a roll cage.
- Hot/ dusty climates.

So straight away I couldn't go for a rigid snorkel without cutting out the wing etc. I then found out that Mantec do a flexi snorkel which has clamps that fit a SD roll cage..... Winner.

I had read the reviews about MANTEC being RAIs and not snorkels...... so I would then have to modify it to be fully sealed- How wrong was I!! The instructions showed in detail how to seal up the puma intake system and the kit also included a syringe of sealant.

Then the last thing I needed to do was equip it for hot/ dust climates. So an ARB top hat pre-filter was in order.

So, as a result I have covered all my bases when it comes to 'necessity'. Due to this I had pretty much no choice to 'Preference' but the system looks and sounds awesome so also happy with that.

The result:

Click image to enlarge

So..... If you don't have a cage there are loads to choose from. Then it becomes preference. Do you prefer the flexi type or the rigid? Do you want a cone, scoop, trilby or pre-filter on the top?

konabikes11 wrote:
Surely the Safari type's would add a slight "Ram" affect to the air when in motion in affect helping and slightly forcing air into the air intake system? Thumbs Up Can't see how the Mantec version would have quite so much effects.

I am sure you have heard that (as may others have told me).... but to be blunt... What a load of CR@P.

A. For this to be effective you would have to travel at about 150mph.
B. Diesels don't have 'vacuum'. Therefore you can force as much air into the intake as you want but the turbo will only allow a certain amount past (which is the right air-fuel ratio).

Everyone is happy with 'their' intake......... They wouldn't have it otherwise Rolling Eyes

Glyn Dog :sheep:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #140640 21st Apr 2012 8:27am
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
re the ram air effect of Safari snorkels.....even when you swing the intake though 180 degrees in dusty (or snowy) conditions up to 50/60 miles an hour it seems to make no difference to performance.

Never drove it at 80 miles an hour with the thing pointing backwards but i doubt I would notice.

Observations taken at almost full GVW/expedition weight

If you're that fussed then as Brendan said you can get the pre-filter

BTW - the engine will continue to run (at tick-over) even with almost all the opening covered
Post #140663 21st Apr 2012 9:52am
jay knowles

Just another point before i make my decision how does a snorkel effect the vision from the screen. I like the view at the minute with the very slim pillars etc, anyone got any pis looking from the inside looking out thanks Jay
Post #140771 21st Apr 2012 9:28pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Bloody hell. What a load of pony talked about snorkels.

Look, the ford engine is hardly in a state of high tune. You could bolt piece of drainpipe on and as long as you seal it it would be fine. Every snorkel maker says theirs is better blah blah blah because they want to sell them. Simple. Safari is the most expensive and there are cheaper options. It's also not a high impact item - most defender drivers do not crash through forests and hit trees, let's face it.

I had a mantec on my last 90 because I thought it looked the best, but basically, anything will do. Oh, and it doesn't matter if the intake is facing forward or back, the engine does not need ram air, it will suck it what it needs.
Post #140776 21st Apr 2012 9:57pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
jay knowles wrote:
Just another point before i make my decision how does a snorkel effect the vision from the screen. I like the view at the minute with the very slim pillars etc, anyone got any pis looking from the inside looking out thanks Jay

You won't be wanting to put a Brownchurch HD roofrack on then Whistle I've one and the support bars to the bulkhead window brackets overshadow the snorkel Whistle
Post #140781 21st Apr 2012 10:03pm
Glynparry25

jay knowles wrote:

I can't see either the cage or snorkel at all. Will take a pic later.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #140807 22nd Apr 2012 6:43am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
BigMike wrote:
Bloody hell. What a load of pony talked about snorkels. Look, the ford engine is hardly in a state of high tune. You could bolt piece of drainpipe on and as long as you seal it it would be fine.

Well said Mike Thumbs Up I was also waiting for the "you don't need one" sentence Very Happy

I have seen what happens when you take a defender into deep water without a RAI and it's wallet twitching stuff, turbos, engines blah blah blah so there is a need in certain circumstances for them.

The diesel turbo engines positively suck the air in through whatever aperture is fitted, so all this talk about ram air - I'm not convinced

Final point - once you have drilled the wing and windscreen pillar there's no turning back.
Post #140811 22nd Apr 2012 7:31am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Talking of mounts. What are the windscreen / pillar mounts like? I have seen a few that have rusted really bad an looks awful. Can't remember which now though Confused
Post #140856 22nd Apr 2012 11:45am
Glynparry25

Here you go:

Click image to enlarge

That is with cage and Snorkel. I know the MANTEC plastic ones also don't impede the view but don't know about the safari ones (but can't see it being any different)

Glyn Dog :sheep:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #140895 22nd Apr 2012 5:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>