↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Subwoofer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
Personally I donโ€™t think you can beat the burble of American Muscle, even diesel.
Detroit V8, Powerstroke, personal favourite Cummins etc.

Someone not far from me has a Mustang 2008 I believe in blue, a proper one not one of those E ones. NEVER SURRENDER! โ›ฝ๏ธ๐Ÿ›ข๏ธ๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ”ง๐Ÿงฐโš™๏ธ RED, WHITE & BOOST! ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง
Post #1045435 10th Sep 2024 3:53pm
stevemfr

France 
CincyRovers1 wrote:
...It isn't fake, it is the sound of the actual engine, but sent through a tube and amplified in the cabin. It works incredibly well and it is the reason why modern turbocharged 911s don't sound turbocharged from the inside.

I know. That is exactly what I was referring to. My 911s are pre-sound symposer, but I remember thinking the same things when I read about it's introduction as when I read about enhancing engine noise through speakers the first time. But that lead me down the rabbit hole of self-reflection and DIY exhaust building that I described above and suddenly it made more sense.

Just out of curiosity, do you feel better about the sound symposer because it's "real" engine noise you're hearing vs "enahnced"? I don't mean that in a negative sense at all - I really am just curious.

@custom90 While I appreciate all sorts of motor sounds, my favorite is still a 90ยฐ V8. My Camaro (which I still own Wink ) has a 350 with headers and a 2 1/2" exhaust running through late 70's Z28 resonators (the Z28s had cats prior to the resonators). And I think that it sounds better than any super- or hypercar I've ever heard.

Sorry to the OP for all the OT. 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s,
2 FL1s and a L663 on the way
Post #1045440 10th Sep 2024 5:12pm
CincyRovers1

United States 
I don't mind it at all on the turbocharged cars. They have the better performance but inside it still sounds like an old school NA 911. 991.1 cars I could take it or leave it. It doesn't bother me, but I don't find it to be necessary, but I think it is great with the 991.2 and newer cars. ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ ๐ƒ๐ž๐Ÿ๐ž๐ง๐๐ž๐ซ ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ ๐’ ๐๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ (Pangea Green over Acorn/Lunar)
๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‘ ๐๐จ๐ซ๐ฌ๐œ๐ก๐ž ๐Œ๐š๐œ๐š๐ง ๐’ (Dolomite Silver over Black/Bordeaux Red)
๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ• ๐ƒ๐ข๐ฌ๐œ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ฒ ๐‡๐’๐„ ๐‹๐ฎ๐ฑ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ฒ ๐’๐ข๐Ÿ” (Aintree Green over Vintage Tan/Ebony) - Gone
๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ ๐‹๐‘๐Ÿ’ ๐‡๐’๐„ ๐Ÿ“.๐ŸŽ (Ipanema Sand over Almond/Arabica) - Gone
Post #1045452 10th Sep 2024 6:06pm
stevemfr

France 
I meant to ask - do you feel better about it because it is a real, if finely tuned, intake sound vs a fake 'enhanced' engine sound through the speakers? 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s,
2 FL1s and a L663 on the way
Post #1045598 12th Sep 2024 1:11am
H1Tad

United States 
I don't think this is a very controversial statement when I say that people prefer authenticity instead of fakeness.

Piping in artificially generated engine noise, even if its pleasant to the ears, just rubs some people the wrong way. If they hadn't known it was fake, they otherwise wouldn't have cared and continued to live their lives in merry acoustic bliss more than likely.

The "symposer" and other acoustic "enhancements" are still using the engine suck-bang-blow cycle as the source of the sound - kind of like straight-piping or adding resonators to the exhaust. That's not fake - its just taking the existing sound and making it better.

Using speakers is just making it up whole cloth - independent from the mechanical function of the motor. If the sound can be generated while the engine is off and sitting still, thats when you know its fake. 2022 Defender 110 SE P400 Tasman Blue Expedition and Cold weather package
2003 Hummer H1 P400 Firehouse Red
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Post #1045599 12th Sep 2024 2:06am
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
CincyRovers1 wrote:
stevemfr wrote:
I don't know why everyone gets so excited about the engine sound "enhancement". Porsche, Ferrari and the rest spend a significant amount of time and money engineering the sound of their cars, both intake and exhaust. I have not checked lately, but I can easily imagine that the SUVs from those manufacturers have "enhanced" sound as well.

As a matter of fact, I spent some time listening to various friend's cars before building the exhaust for my modified Camaro at the age of 19 and, come to think of it, purchased an IMSA (INSA? I think they were also sold as Monza) exhaust for my V6 Capri at the age of 16 after hearing one on a friend's Capri. (I just dated myself, didn't I?)

Emotions sell cars, and the noise is a a part of those emotions. Yes, you could call it cheating, but at the end of the day, who really cares? At least it's not adding any weight Razz

I have a Porsche Macan S and there is no fake engine noise played through the speakers.

Not through the speakers but there is an 'engine sound actuator' to 'enhance' the engine sound in the cabin.
Porsche have declared in the past that fake engine sound through the sound system, at least in ICE cars, is against their principles. 23.5MY 90 V8 Carpathian
Post #1045611 12th Sep 2024 9:33am
CincyRovers1

United States 
stevemfr wrote:
I meant to ask - do you feel better about it because it is a real, if finely tuned, intake sound vs a fake 'enhanced' engine sound through the speakers?

I do feel better that it's real. Amplified genuine sound is in my opinion so much better than a digitally enhanced sound through the stereo. ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ ๐ƒ๐ž๐Ÿ๐ž๐ง๐๐ž๐ซ ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ ๐’ ๐๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ (Pangea Green over Acorn/Lunar)
๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‘ ๐๐จ๐ซ๐ฌ๐œ๐ก๐ž ๐Œ๐š๐œ๐š๐ง ๐’ (Dolomite Silver over Black/Bordeaux Red)
๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ• ๐ƒ๐ข๐ฌ๐œ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ฒ ๐‡๐’๐„ ๐‹๐ฎ๐ฑ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ฒ ๐’๐ข๐Ÿ” (Aintree Green over Vintage Tan/Ebony) - Gone
๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ ๐‹๐‘๐Ÿ’ ๐‡๐’๐„ ๐Ÿ“.๐ŸŽ (Ipanema Sand over Almond/Arabica) - Gone
Post #1045629 12th Sep 2024 1:54pm
CincyRovers1

United States 
Nuclear Nick wrote:
CincyRovers1 wrote:
stevemfr wrote:
I don't know why everyone gets so excited about the engine sound "enhancement". Porsche, Ferrari and the rest spend a significant amount of time and money engineering the sound of their cars, both intake and exhaust. I have not checked lately, but I can easily imagine that the SUVs from those manufacturers have "enhanced" sound as well.

As a matter of fact, I spent some time listening to various friend's cars before building the exhaust for my modified Camaro at the age of 19 and, come to think of it, purchased an IMSA (INSA? I think they were also sold as Monza) exhaust for my V6 Capri at the age of 16 after hearing one on a friend's Capri. (I just dated myself, didn't I?)

Emotions sell cars, and the noise is a a part of those emotions. Yes, you could call it cheating, but at the end of the day, who really cares? At least it's not adding any weight Razz

I have a Porsche Macan S and there is no fake engine noise played through the speakers.

Not through the speakers but there is an 'engine sound actuator' to 'enhance' the engine sound in the cabin.
Porsche have declared in the past that fake engine sound through the sound system, at least in ICE cars, is against their principles.

You are referring to the Sound Symposer that I mentioned earlier in the thread. My Macan doesn't have that. I don't have PSE and the car is still pretty loud and the exhaust does have a valve that opens in Sport and Sport +. The old euro-spec Macan S Diesel did have a device on the firewall similar to VW's Soundaktor (and had actual speakers in the muffler when fitted with PSE). ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ ๐ƒ๐ž๐Ÿ๐ž๐ง๐๐ž๐ซ ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ ๐’ ๐๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ (Pangea Green over Acorn/Lunar)
Post #1045632 12th Sep 2024 2:13pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
No, I understand the Sound Symposer, it's fitted to my 991.2 GTS. Porsche have fitted the sound actuator to many models, including my now gone 2017 Macan Turbo, although that did have PSE.

I think we're agreeing violently here (LOL) but the main point is that while Porsche ICE cars don't have fake sound through the speakers some models will have the firewall shaker. It's Item 54 in the attached Macan parts list.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 23.5MY 90 V8 Carpathian
Post #1045647 12th Sep 2024 4:48pm
Philm

United Kingdom 
Perhaps this should be moved to it's own thread, not hijacking someone else's
Post #1045650 12th Sep 2024 5:00pm
CincyRovers1

United States 
Nuclear Nick wrote:
No, I understand the Sound Symposer, it's fitted to my 991.2 GTS. Porsche have fitted the sound actuator to many models, including my now gone 2017 Macan Turbo, although that did have PSE.

I think we're agreeing violently here (LOL) but the main point is that while Porsche ICE cars don't have fake sound through the speakers some models will have the firewall shaker. It's Item 54 in the attached Macan parts list.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Interesting; that looks exactly like the Soundaktor used in the other VAG products. I did some digging and turns out the Soundaktor doesn't play fake engine noise, but rather amplifies it through a transducer which is like a speaker without the cone. I've been in many VAG products with the Soundaktor with I4 engines and it gives that warble sound like an I5. I don't get any of that with the Macan. There's a possibility that it was removed in the 95B.3, but I'll take a look at the firewall when I get home to confirm whether or not I have one. ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ ๐ƒ๐ž๐Ÿ๐ž๐ง๐๐ž๐ซ ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ ๐’ ๐๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ (Pangea Green over Acorn/Lunar)
Post #1045656 12th Sep 2024 5:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123