Print this entire topic · 
rustandoil

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
I've recently fitted Dynamat to my 110 DC

Click image to enlarge
Post #972322 25th Nov 2022 7:23am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Looks good, and it does work well. Thumbs Up NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #972413 25th Nov 2022 11:20pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Update on my build, it’s going to be finished this summer. Wayyyy longer than I expected to complete it, but didn’t bargain on a Pandemic in between. Rolling Eyes

Has anyone else got anything in mind? Very Happy This time of year is a good time to do any Audio work or upgrades. Cool NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1035180 19th May 2024 11:21pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Update on my build, it’s going to be finished this summer. Wayyyy longer than I expected to complete it, but didn’t bargain on a Pandemic in between. Rolling Eyes

Has anyone else got anything in mind? Very Happy This time of year is a good time to do any Audio work or upgrades. Cool NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1035181 19th May 2024 11:21pm
Andyslandytd5

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Montalcino Red
Hi All, I am thinking of fitting a Stinger Heigh10 into my Defender Puma. Before pressing the button I was thinking about options for the USBs. Stinger does come with a double USB that can replace the cigarette lighter which is an option.
However I am not a fan of having wires hanging near the gearstick especially as Stinger is does not have wireless Apple Carplay.

I was thinking it would be more handy to have a USB either side of the centre dash out of the way and useful for plugging in a CarPlay wireless dongle that would be harder to knock by accident.
https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/u...2BDash.png
I could use the Mud stuff single USB ext. sockets (as I have one spare already) for a tidy install.
https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/u...mudusb.png
My question is does anyone have experience of what's behind the dash here. Is it even feasible? Previous LR
2004 TD5 90 XS Station Wagon
2003 TD5 90 G4 LE
1990 Ninety 6.2 V8 Station Wagon
Post #1044646 3rd Sep 2024 12:12pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
You can use the glove box if you have one, and the area to the RHS of there internally to which there is a void behind there.
I have a round USB socket in there. Thumbs Up NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1044689 3rd Sep 2024 6:12pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Andyslandytd5 wrote:

I was thinking it would be more handy to have a USB either side of the centre dash out of the way and useful for plugging in a CarPlay wireless dongle that would be harder to knock by accident.
https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/u...2BDash.png
I could use the Mud stuff single USB ext. sockets (as I have one spare already) for a tidy install.
https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/u...mudusb.png
My question is does anyone have experience of what's behind the dash here. Is it even feasible?

Plenty of room. At first I had a simple "glovebox" and installed a 2xUSB and a AUX+USB.
Later a new, better glovebox covered half of the AUX+USB :-/ and I installed another 2xUSB inside the glovebox.

They're all powered off the cigarette lighter, so they wont drain the battery when engine is off, but of course you may do as you need it. Bear in mind that each one may drain around 10-20mA without anything connected.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1044697 3rd Sep 2024 7:09pm
Andyslandytd5

custom90 wrote:
You can use the glove box if you have one, and the area to the RHS of there internally to which there is a void behind there.
I have a round USB socket in there. Thumbs Up

Nice one. Thanks Previous LR
2003 TD5 90 G4 LE
Post #1044720 3rd Sep 2024 9:59pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
No worries.

Mines very similar to the 3rd pic Macfrank posted above, only on a RHD.

You can get a USB 3.0, which is high speed data transfer for quality and also fits similar to a cable gland or Bluesea socket where you can use a cone drill bit to drill the hole.

If you do drill, be very careful not to make it too big and also be sure everything is clear so HU out and cables out the way.
You can use a dremel but beware of the dust and you won’t get a perfect hole, but might be good if you fitted a square socket. I went for round plus it’s out of sight and also GPS works well from there, with better line of sight to satellite.
You may be able to find a USB 3.0 and 3.5mm audio jack in one socket, which I have which is even better as you can carry that 3.5mm jack input into the HU rear audio input as well.
I’ll likely not use it, but it’s another connectivity input option from an audio device 3.5mm jack to the HU 3.5mm jack input if you needed it.
The some HU’s have it, so may as well add it but not that many people use it but a passenger might do.

You can always add an additional charger to the centre dash just for charging as well, depends on what features the HU has.

Very Happy NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1044729 3rd Sep 2024 11:14pm
willyj

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Probably asked to death but I’m looking at getting Double din apple carplay system.
Had thought about stinger heigh10 but after reading a bit I feel it’s not value for money.

Before pushing the button to buy a head unit. Does anyone know if there are new units coming out as the ones advertised online have been around for a couple years and Sod’s Law I purchase one and the new version gets released.

TIA
Post #1045933 16th Sep 2024 2:16pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Pioneer are good, the latest are probably on their website. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1045938 16th Sep 2024 3:40pm
Andyslandytd5

willyj wrote:
Probably asked to death but I’m looking at getting Double din apple carplay system.
Had thought about stinger heigh10 but after reading a bit I feel it’s not value for money.

Before pushing the button to buy a head unit. Does anyone know if there are new units coming out as the ones advertised online have been around for a couple years and Sod’s Law I purchase one and the new version gets released.

TIA

I did the Double Din upgrade on my TD5 at the beginning of last year and went for a JVC with Wireless Carplay. It was very nice but I wish it had a a twist volume control button. The buttonless units look cool but can be difficult to use whilst driving sometimes. I bought a little remote for mine to make life easier.

I changed to a Puma in May this year and I plan to go down the stinger route eventually. It is expensive but for me its the best option

Click image to enlarge
 Previous LR
2003 TD5 90 G4 LE
Post #1046083 18th Sep 2024 11:14am
custom90

United Kingdom 
That is neat, yes the volume control can be a bit of an issue.

That’s why I like the control knob on my Pioneer AVH7200DAB, it just works abd it isn’t too big either.

The previous Kenwood I had, had buttons too, but it was an up down volume a bit like the touch screen up and down and that was a big of a pain too.
Every bump in the road, you’d be all over the place with it so best to leave it along.

The Pioneer just works a lot better, I expect the Stinger works well as well too though.

I think the Stinger would be more appropriate in the £600 to £800 price range, and even that is a considerable sum, from what I remember the only advantages of it over what I have is HDMI plus the OBD2 functions.
Unless there is other things you anyone can think of except design differences?
There might be a little bit of wattage output differences perhaps, but both are really good systems. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1048167 9th Oct 2024 7:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 69 of 69 <123 ... 676869