↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Output shaft failure, Forum Survey
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 33 of 33 <123 ... 313233
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I accept that there is no definitive evidence to support the misalignment theory, but in the absence of any credible alternative theory and until misalignment is disproven it remains, in my mind at least, the most plausible reason for the variation in failures.
Post #1041912 5th Aug 2024 9:14am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
There are papers that can be found online on the study of spline wear against misalignment. One paper that I found also accentuates how the wear is accelerated when there is misalignment and in the absence of lubrication.

My 2012 90 has a history of eating shafts. Last time I dropped the TC I found that it had also eaten the gearbox mainshaft. I have no time to do the analysis, so if there is a volunteer, he or she is welcome to take my TC/ gearbox out for measurement as long as everything goes back in the correct way.

The 90 is not my main transport, or bread provider, so I am usually driving something kinder to my left kneee. So not too worried about life in miles, as still will be years for me. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1041929 5th Aug 2024 11:31am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
I am also considering that many aftermarket shafts and adapters were start be available sometime after the release of the 2007 model. Very likely JLR also started to grab pieces from different manufacturers. Bad English but you get the idea. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #1041933 5th Aug 2024 12:34pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Being the hypocrite that I am, I'm inclined to agree with Blackwolf despite just having had a LOF shaft fitted. Misalignment has got to be the most obvious culprit. There is not much else that can cause problem.

In weak defense of my own decision to go with the LOF shaft, my original hadn't failed by 96000 miles so I wasn't overly concerned about misalignment, plus I was in a bit of a rush and the garage had a LoF one on the shelf! As seen above, mine was more or less like new on inspection, so hopefully the alignment is spot on so the solid shaft won't do any harm anyway. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1041946 5th Aug 2024 1:48pm
Julie

France 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
The traces of corrosion + wear are always on the shaft --
no problems with the cone bolted on the MT82 gearbox :

Any ideas ?

If it was misalignement both parts would be involved.

Pour quality of the shaft material is most probable. It's 3 lb at leasr - much heavier than the cone. Pour quality from MY 2011 onwards due to cost reduction includes the oïl sump, the oïl pump and the front axles. There have been recalls.

Did anybody check the steel quality of thr différent shafts ?

P.S.: and don't forget : TATA is a steel giant. Like Ford upgraded the engine, TATA focus on steel

Last edited by Julie on 5th Aug 2024 2:29pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #1041953 5th Aug 2024 2:17pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Bluest wrote:
Being the hypocrite that I am, I'm inclined to agree with Blackwolf despite just having had a LOF shaft fitted. Misalignment has got to be the most obvious culprit. There is not much else that can cause problem.

In weak defense of my own decision to go with the LOF shaft, my original hadn't failed by 96000 miles so I wasn't overly concerned about misalignment, plus I was in a bit of a rush and the garage had a LoF one on the shelf! As seen above, mine was more or less like new on inspection, so hopefully the alignment is spot on so the solid shaft won't do any harm anyway.

I think you have hi lighted the conundrum.

If you have very minor or zero misalignment issues then the solutions from LOF and IRB probably won’t cause any issues with other components, but then why fit them if you don’t have misalignment issues !

If you do suffer from misalignment issues then the greater the misalignment the greater the potential to have issues with other components if you fit a LOF or IRB solution. However will any of those issues cause a costly / major failure within the lifetime of the vehicle !
Post #1041956 5th Aug 2024 2:22pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Julie wrote:
The traces of corrosion + wear are always on the shaft --
no problems with the cone bolted on the MT82 gearbox :

Why ?

If it was misalignement both parts would ne involved.

I’m not sure that’s correct. The cup by design, manufacturing or material may be more robust so the other component will fail first.
Post #1041959 5th Aug 2024 2:31pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Julie wrote:
... Pour quality of the shaft material is most probable...

This is definitely a possible factor but it is hard to explain why two vehicle coming out of the factory on the same day could have dramatically different coupling expectancy. When the original forum survey was produced there was clear evidence of some early vehicles getting high mileages and others getting dismally low - under 10k - mileages. If it was down to material variability then something has gone catastrophically wrong in the QA department!

Mind you something clear has gone catastrophically wrong in the QA department, if such a department exists at JLR, for the shafts to behave as they do. Shocked
Post #1041978 5th Aug 2024 4:27pm
BrunoJ

Norway 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
1, vehicle year of manufacture: 2012
2, engine type 2.4 or 2.2: 2.2
3, is the Defender still running with the original output shaft? (Y/N): N
4, vehicle milage at first shaft failure, or current milage on the original shaft if still running.
Shaft didn't fail, replaces 'just in case', during clutch change, at 107kkm. Genue part.
Old one didn't look bad yet.
Post #1042013 5th Aug 2024 9:19pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Having watched defenders being built several times. Nothing would surprise you.
Post #1042017 5th Aug 2024 9:52pm
ksv

Russia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Hi all. I watched the output shaft wearing over and over again changing the original clutch kits, and changed it to the original with a mileage of 180000 km, ( my Defender is 110 Puma 2.4, 2007). Inspection showed relatively uniform wear without any anomalies.
The next change for Ashcroft set was made at 306000 km mark. And here is the most interesting thing, the changed output shaft looked like ABSOLUTLY NEW! And it was lubricated with transmission oil, wich dripped from the gear box seal. There were no traces of oil outside.
So I can suppose I caught a very good gear box extension and two aspects are important: coaxiality and the presence of lubrication.
Post #1043085 18th Aug 2024 9:43am
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Just about to get the transfer box swapped out for a recon Ashcroft. Can’t decide if I should buy a new shaft. The current one is an Ashcroft two piece job, it’s done 118k miles so far. Wonder what condition it will be in. Think I would stick with the Ashcroft one even if it’s showing signs of wear.
Post #1043098 18th Aug 2024 1:04pm
ksv

Russia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Ashcroft set seemed to me the most optimal solution to the problem, provided that everything is in order with coaxiality.
As I wrote above my original shaft looked like new after 126000 km thanks to the leakage of the seal.
Post #1043221 19th Aug 2024 6:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 33 of 33 <123 ... 313233