↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > TD5 running issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Taz1153

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Zambezi Silver
TD5 running issue
I have a 2004 TD5 90k miles on the clock which has not been running right this year. One thing lead to another and the turbo was replaced with a standard Garrett. All was well for a few weeks then the power loss started again but in a slightly different way. From starting the engine sometimes it will tick over as if miss-firing with white smoke from the rear when gently revved. The drive is awful with reduced power. If the engine is turned off for a few minutes and turned back on she is back up-to power and all is well. I was concerned about injector seals and so have been checking oil levels. The strange thing was that no matter how long I left the truck standing the dip stick showed too much oil by a lot as if the dip stick tube had oil dribbled down it. I’ve changed the oil & filters. Around 8 litres came out. It didn’t smell of diesel. I was expecting to take the dip stick tube off and clean it but dip stick showed empty and was clean. 8 litres of clean oil back it and the dip stick has oil all over it again making for a poor reading. She’s booked into the garage later this week but after the cost of a turbo I could really do with a home mechanic fix. I’m hoping someone might know what’s wrong with my beautiful truck.
Post #1041803 4th Aug 2024 8:40am
jim4244

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Hi

Just off the top of my head...

What's the coolant level like? are you having to top it up?

Have you pulled the red connector off the ECU under the drivers seat and checked it for oil?

Not sure how long you have had your Landy but if it has stood for a long while it could possibly be bad/contaminated fuel?

How many miles? It could be that the injectors need to be cleaned and refurbished?

Jim
Post #1041814 4th Aug 2024 12:02pm
Taz1153

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it. The coolant level is ok, injector harness changed this year with no signs of an oily loom, she does a tank of fuel every few weeks, she’s had a new fuel pump last year. Serviced each year with all filters changed. I fear injectors or even worse, head compression. She’s just had a new MAF sensor. I’ve cleaned the MAP sensor.
Post #1041847 4th Aug 2024 6:10pm
jim4244

To be honest Taz changing the injectors is not that hard a job.

There’s a set of 5 from a Defender TD5 with 115k on the clock for £100 over on EBay. You could take a chance and just clean them and fit them and see if that improves anything?

Jim
Post #1041849 4th Aug 2024 6:24pm
Taz1153

Cheers Jim. Annoyingly my injectors are only at 90k miles. I suspect that will be the taken path. In my head these issues have only starred since the MAF sensor was changed. It makes no sense but is at the back of my mind.
Post #1041852 4th Aug 2024 6:34pm
htb2

Wales 
What make MAF did you fit, genuine or seimens only. Try disconnecting MAF does it run any better?
Post #1041861 4th Aug 2024 7:52pm
Taz1153

I didn’t change the MAF sensor. I took out the original which has Bosch written on it. It wasn’t very dirt but cleaned it with brake cleaner and popped it back in. You think it might be broken anyway?
Post #1041884 4th Aug 2024 10:54pm
Taz1153

I’ll disconnect it tomorrow and see what happens
Post #1041885 4th Aug 2024 10:54pm
Taz1153

On the off chance someone is still looking at this thread, the truck went to a local garage and didn’t show the failure/problem. They could not find a fault with it. I took it home and typically it failed the next day. It’s been back since and had its injectors refurbed and refitted on new genuine seals. It runs like a dream. The place injector in Shrewsbury said all the injectors were at the point of complete failure. I’ll take that with a pinch of salt but it’s looking like they were the fault, at the moment at least. Thanks again for your help.
Post #1044232 29th Aug 2024 1:44pm
jim4244

Glad that you got it sorted Thumbs Up

Jim
Post #1044238 29th Aug 2024 2:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1