↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Camshaft
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lrd300

Malta 2004 Defender 90 Td5 ST Barolo Black
Camshaft
While replacing the injector seals, I noticed that the rocker arm follower on cylinder 4 was pitted, and the camshaft had some minor scoring. I replaced the rocker arm follower with a good used one, but after 1,000 miles, I inspected it again and found the follower roller pitted once more.

There’s no loss of power or abnormal noises, but I'm concerned it could fail at any moment.

Should I replace just the camshaft, or would it be better to change the entire head?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1043851 25th Aug 2024 6:46pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
The cam is so badly worn, to the point its contacting the cam follower bearing support - see second picture, just left/right of the cam follower bearing. I can see loads of metal particles around the area, so a very good clean is necessary plus at least new cam and followers.

Injector cams are under extreme pressure. Use quality oils. It is false economy to replace with used parts of unknown origin, and even worse with aftermarket of unknown quality.

You do not need a new head unless journals are badly scored, but ensure all oil passages are clear. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1043865 26th Aug 2024 1:27am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Yes Dinnu, sharp observation about the contact outside of the roller.

Totally agree all of this is toast and needs replacing, but should all be possible without major surgery. I would be worried about the metal contamination working its way through the engine. Certainly I would spend a lot of time clean and drop the sump as well. Might we worth pulling a bearing cap to see if any of the glitter has embedded itself in the bearing material.

Few quick succession oil changes with cheap oil to flush it all out probably wise too

Good thing you spotted it now while it is still repairable.
Post #1043873 26th Aug 2024 7:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1