↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Who's changed their oil
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Defendit..

Netherlands 
abyss wrote:
Used my GAP tool to set the max height on air suspension. I was able to undo the engine undertray (with million of bolts) and drain the oil without lifting the car at all.

Pretty easy and no brainer that the cost of oil and oil filter is same as a full tank of petrol.

Next time be prepared to install the Fumoto drain valve.. saves a lot of time each oil change

https://landroverforums.com/forum/2020-def...post884592 No Mud flaps for my 90.!
-----------------------------------------
P300 S MY21 on air, adv.+ offroad pack, DRL+fog, Dinamica Suedecloth + Ebony headliner/Cross Beam- Many Mods..
Post #1039349 7th Jul 2024 1:04pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Now that's an accessory worth fitting.
Post #1039407 7th Jul 2024 9:33pm
DFNDER

Australia 
For me the valve location plus an access port / hole increases the risk of it getting knocked and losing all the oil. I do like the idea of a bolted on little cover plate though...
Post #1039534 9th Jul 2024 2:47pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
l never thought of that.

l know you can buy a replacement aftermarket undertray with a cover for the oil sump plug, so you don't need to remove the whole thing to drain the oil.
Post #1039614 10th Jul 2024 1:53pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
abyss wrote:
Used my GAP tool to set the max height on air suspension. I was able to undo the engine undertray (with million of bolts) and drain the oil without lifting the car at all.

Pretty easy and no brainer that the cost of oil and oil filter is same as a full tank of petrol.

Don't want to be a party pooper, but I would not go under an air suspension car without some sort of a prop. It does not even have to touch, just something stronger than your head.. I have had (still have) air suspension cars and of course I never had them drop, but I can imagine that you could disturb something a height sensor and it could drop.
Post #1039629 10th Jul 2024 4:33pm
DFNDER

Australia 
Definitely, regardless of EAS or std suspension, you never get under a car without it being propped. Gravity wins everytime, especially with a 3t 4WD.
Post #1039666 11th Jul 2024 5:14am
johnlad

United Kingdom 
Just got the correct oil for D300 oil change from Halfords,
The Castrol edge titanium 0w-30 E,
Works out at £13 a litre with the trade card.
Don’t know if that’s any use to anyone but it was the cheapest I could find.
Post #1040378 19th Jul 2024 8:17pm
JonathanP

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Caledonian Blue
Hi

What is the correct oil please for a D250 as my handbook says it is Castrol Edge Professional 0-30
Post #1040393 19th Jul 2024 9:37pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
JonathanP wrote:
Hi

What is the correct oil please for a D250 as my handbook says it is Castrol Edge Professional 0-30

According to the handbook for my D200 the correct oil is SAE 0W-30 meeting Jaguar Land Rover specification STJLR.03.5007.

For those that don't have a trade card Halfords have 10% extra discount on motoring items which takes the price of Castrol edge titanium 0w-30 E (meeting Jaguar Land Rover specification STJLR.03.5007) down to £12.95 per litre Thumbs Up Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #1041394 30th Jul 2024 3:59pm
JonathanP

Thanks for the help but when I look on Halfords website Castrol edge titanium 0w-30 E does NOT meet Jaguar Land Rover specification STJLR.03.5007 ?

Then when I look on the Castrol website the only reference is Castrol Edge Professional which seems to be different to Castrol Edge Titanium ??

You are correct, I have now found the reference in the I Guide and the oil required needs to be SAE 0W-30 E meeting Jaguar Land Rover specification STJLR.03.5007 but that seems to be for Castrol Edge Professional grade not the Castrol Edge Titanium grade ??

Am I reading this correct please?

Thanks
Jonathan
Post #1041431 31st Jul 2024 12:15am
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
This is the photo of the container on the Halfords site.

Click image to enlarge

and this is from the specification

Click image to enlarge

So according to Halfords it does meet STJLR.03.5007, where are you seeing it doesn't?

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-o...28019.html Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #1041432 31st Jul 2024 12:24am
JonathanP

Ok Thanks, but that photo is Castrol Edge Professional, which is the correct oil, but I think Castrol Edge Titanium is different and not JLR approved

From Halfords website

Click image to enlarge

Castrol Edge Titanium 0W30 Oil 4 Litre
The Castrol Edge Titanium 0W30 Oil features the latest specification for Vauxhall, BMW, Mercedes and most other modern engines.

The fully synthetic technology provides the best oil for modern high performance engines, protecting from the moment you start the engine.

Castrol EDGE 0W-30 with Fluid TITANIUM physically transforms its structure – becoming stiffer at points of extreme pressure, keeping metal apart and reducing friction. When the pressure subsides, the oil reverts to its free-flowing state. Stronger under pressure, Castrol EDGE with Fluid TITANIUM transforms its structure and reduces performance-robbing friction by 20%*.

Features & Benefits:
Oil viscosity 0W30
Fully synthetic technology
Transforms to be strongest when the pressure is highest, protecting your engine
Reduces power-robbing friction across engine speeds and conditions
Protects the engine for the entire drain interval even under extreme pressure
Suitable for BMW Longlife-04, GM-LL-A-025, GM-LL-B-025, MB-Approved 229.3, MB-Approved 229.5, VW 502 00 / 503 01 / 505 00
Renault RN 0700/ RN 0710
dexos2™*
Certifications & Standards:
ACEA C3
API SM CF
Additional Note:
Please note that packaging and label supplied may differ from web image but the contents are the same
Post #1041528 31st Jul 2024 11:02pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
It's not just oil any more.

l remember when there were only two choices, and either was fine in any engine. I wonder what would happen if you used a NOS can of Castrol GTX or Duckhams Hypergrade in a New Defender.

Would the engine sieze, or blow up. Or would it run fine, but be ruined within a few thousand miles.

There's a few videos online of engines being run on stupid stuff like cooking oil, to see how long they last (not long)

It would be an interesting test to run a modern engine on 1980's oil that meets none of the modern specifications, and see what happens.

lt would certainly be more worthwhile than the guy on Youtube who buys new exotic cars like Ferrari and then just smashes them up.
Post #1041542 1st Aug 2024 8:18am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
When you look into oil specs you will find that a lot of the quality (apart from the obvious viscosity) is related to ash and how this might interact with your emission system. The wrong oil can mess with all of that which can get expensive quickly.

But all of this is standardized and an oil meets it of not, including 'Tesco oils'.

Then there is some longevity, change interval stuff, which is about additives and stability (cost).

Finally, but most importantly, just like for your dishwasher there are marketing agreements between manufacturers which push certain brands. Landrover pushes Castrol (BP) have done for a long time. They probably get their oil cheap as long as they can convince you and I to pay a premium price for oil over the lifetime of the car. We are being sold out basically. Often the exact same engine used by different car manufactures have different branded oil recommendations.

Personally I just learn the spec and buy accordingly. My change intervals are always less so I am not too worried about long life bs.
Post #1041550 1st Aug 2024 10:23am
Kaz

United States 
I use Mobil 1 in all of our gas powered vehicles, and we stick to 5K intervals unless breaking in an engine.
0-20 in the winter as we get some brutal colds around here, and 0-30 / 0-40 in the summer.

A side note on Fumoto valves. They are the way to go for easy oil changes. We use them in all of our off-road going vehicles.
Post #1042793 15th Aug 2024 2:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>