↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Nugget replacement air filter cartridge
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Jimbob292 wrote:
Did anyone see a performance decrease or increase from moving from the stock filter for the nugget?
Power / mpg?

I think it is unlikely that you will see any noticeable difference if all you are replacing is the filter box, despite the extreme crappiness of the factory item.

The most restrictive part of the standard induction system is the series of convoluted and squashed plastic pipes from the wing intake to the filter. Replacing these with a large smooth pipe with gentle bends will make a noticeable difference.

Most people bin the LR filter box as part of a more extensive upgrade, and the upgrade as a whole will make a considerable albeit subjective difference to how the engine performs. It would be rather strange I think to spend several hundred quid on a new filter box and then retain the scarcely-fit-for-purpose factory pipework.

The biggest benefit of the Nugget or Allisport filters is the ease with which the filters can be replaced (assuming that you are not suffering from an inability to find a filter that fits). The LR one involves a fairly unfriendly system of lugs and clips, the others are designed for usability.
Post #1027609 11th Mar 2024 2:24pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
blackwolf wrote:
I disagree! Perhaps I've been lucky but I've had no replacement filter issues at all. I wouldn't however buy another Nugget housing, I'd buy Allisport.

I’ve never had an issue finding filters either, I think my last batch came from Eurocarparts. Also for those wanting a washable lifetime filter, I spoke with ITG a while back who offered to make some to fit. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #1027653 11th Mar 2024 6:18pm
andy63

United Kingdom 
I know this is a nugget thread but the Ali sport filter is been mentioned a bit as well and my bits have arrived.. They have made a few tweeks I believe and I asked them to send me a cleanable filter.. Is it ITG??.. It comes with a standard paper element type filter..
I'll not be fitting it for a few weeks but if there is anything worth talking about I'll get back when I do fit it..
Picture of the bits👍

Click image to enlarge

Edit..
Should mention I got the low level intake version as I have a vacuum tank for the red boost on the wing top so my intake will follow the route of the standard defender plastic pipework
Post #1027836 12th Mar 2024 6:32pm
Zed

There is an Allisport filter thread on here somewhere but; no it’s all very straight forward to fit. The ITG filter looks nice but you won’t notice any difference to the yellow paper one. I keep the paper one for when the ITG is drying out after washing. WARNING.
Post #1027839 12th Mar 2024 6:46pm
andy63

United Kingdom 
I'm not sure in the scheme of things what to expect with this but it's a far neater and simpler set up than standard, and just like the disc conversion on the habdbrake appealed to me so did this type of intake compared to standard.. If it makes access by removal simpler and quicker and gaurentees a sealed inlet that will be good
If there is to be any increase in power /torque it surley has to be because of an increased air flow capacity that the engine can use and that I can check with a scope.. I already have stored traces in its present set up, so I'll see what this set up comes up with at some point👍
Post #1027852 12th Mar 2024 8:30pm
Zed

I noticed a small but definite increase in performance with both Nuggetstuff and Allisport over stock and also over modified stock airbox. I couldn’t tell any performance difference between Nuggetstuff and Allisport, however they both have distinct intake sounds. I had been meaning to stick them on the dyno but never got around to it. It will be interesting to see your results. WARNING.
Post #1027861 12th Mar 2024 10:47pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
For those using the Mahle LX830...

My Nugget airbox has the vacuum gauge to warn you when the filter needs changing. With the original filter I never had any warning from the gauge even when filter was quite old. With the Mahle the gauge warning is triggered by any sort of high engine load situation even with a brand new filter. Although I can't feel any lack of power, it concerns me that the Mahle might not be flowing enough air. It is a slightly larger diameter filter than the original, so there is less room around the outside, could that be the issue?

I have another filter with the same external dims as the original which I'm going to try. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1040745 22nd Jul 2024 7:55pm
Jimbob292

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Zambezi Silver
Yes i had the same issues with the Mahle type, it just didn't fit flush, it was a Censored to get the top housing to close.

I could get the little red signal to come on, without any serious peddle to the floor.

I've gone back to the original Western Filter, it was expensive, but at least my economy has returned, with the Mahle it dropped right of the scale.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1040837 23rd Jul 2024 6:31pm
Bluest

I'm trying an Alco MD106 now, which is dimensionally the same as the Wesfil one except for the small hole in the base and lack of a sealing gasket. I've made my own out of neoprene. Unfortunately testing is stalled pending replacement of my knackered clutch. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1040843 23rd Jul 2024 8:10pm
Jim_Bean

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Jimbob292 wrote:

I've gone back to the original Western Filter, it was expensive, but at least my economy has returned, with the Mahle it dropped right of the scale.

Hey Jimbob - where did you get the Wesfil filter from? I'm not been able to find one here in the UK.

I've been making neoprene 'spacers' to make the Mahle filter fit but its not the best solution.
Post #1040877 24th Jul 2024 10:57am
Jimbob292

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Zambezi Silver
I bought it from 4x4 overland, i know its not cheap, but it works and i don't have any issues.
https://www.4x4overlander.com/product/nugg...nd-gasket/
Post #1040887 24th Jul 2024 12:52pm
piechipsandpeas

Australia 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Cheaper to buy from Aus including shipping to UK.
For example: cj-motor.com (currently in stock and ship internationally) for a single filter shipped to UK is AU$90 which currently is 46 pounds. Buy 2 and it falls to approx 37 pounds each, buy 10 and its 27 pounds each.
No affiliation to these guys and never bought from them myself, just an example as an alternative to 65quid each.
Post #1040893 24th Jul 2024 1:53pm
Jim_Bean

Thanks piechipsandpeas. This is a great idea.

If they are happy to ship to the UK and there is enough interest I might buy a batch of them.

I'll be going to the LRO show and could meet folks there.

Let me know if anyone else is interested.

Click image to enlarge

It looks like 10 filters would be about $540 AUD - around £275.
Post #1041253 29th Jul 2024 11:05am
Bluest

Early conclusions are that the Alco MD106 is the best alternative filter for me. Is cheap and available in the UK. It has the same dims as the Wesfil, but is missing the foam sealing tape on the top. You can buy a roll of said tape for not much money on Ebay.

I did some 4th gear full throttle up hill pulls to put some load on the turbo. In a stock Puma, this is much less exciting than it sounds! However, the important thing is that this didn't cause the red filter blocked warning to come on (unlike the Mahle/Knecht LX830. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1041777 3rd Aug 2024 6:55pm
Jim_Bean

Hi Bluest - thanks for the tip.

Could you let me know where you bought the Alco MD106? I cannot find it in stock anywhere.

Do you have a link I could use?

Thanks Thumbs Up
Post #1041785 3rd Aug 2024 9:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>