↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > jeremy clarkson
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 14 123 ... 121314>
Print this entire topic · 
chiefstoker

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
jeremy clarkson
Laughing he just says exactly what i would say, wtf are these humourless whingers moaning about? 2005 TD5 90 Hard Top

Beer 'n Sex 'n Chips 'n Gravy

Post #103955 2nd Dec 2011 8:10am
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Legend Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #103956 2nd Dec 2011 8:16am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
wot he said ^ Thumbs Up
Post #103961 2nd Dec 2011 8:28am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
You Tube linky here

(I didn't see it live so had to have a search for it)

Classic. Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #103962 2nd Dec 2011 8:38am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
All the people in up roar will be the same people who enjoy top gear!

They are thinking of picketing against him...Losers!
Post #103969 2nd Dec 2011 9:33am
Buzz

2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Tonga Green
Yep, I agree. If you don't like him. Don't watch him.

Its all done for effect. Probably just an unwise progrmme to make comments like that given the target audience and the time of day.
Post #103970 2nd Dec 2011 9:35am
walfy

Trouble is only 5000 people complained. How many millions watch the One Show?? It would be a very small % of people who complained. Again we pander to the minority.
I for 1 applaud him. We need people like him to speak his mind every now and again. Makes others sit up and listen 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #103974 2nd Dec 2011 9:39am
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
you must take him at face value.

BUT what he said, watered down, IMHO, is quite correct. How dare they strike, holding the contry to ransom, when there are active negociations going on.

I am self employed, NO one helps me if i' i'll, injured,or pensioned off. why should i have to contribute to there pension aswell as have to take time off to help there cause.

There all POTHOLES Whistle Thumbs Up
Post #103975 2nd Dec 2011 9:40am
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
Off Topic Buzz did you get my pm have a look in your inbox cheers Wink
Post #103976 2nd Dec 2011 9:41am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Made me laugh to hear that so many strikers used it as a day off. Guess it saved them from using up their allocation of sick days that they are expected to take during the year.

Plenty of people out there that would happily take their places in the jobs market and would do a much better job.

If they are worried about pensions then why don't they take out a private pension as well.

Also how much money are those union bosses on Shocked

Stop paying their wages and they will be a little more cash in the pot

Mark
Post #103995 2nd Dec 2011 10:58am
Buzz

2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Tonga Green
Killer90 wrote:
Off Topic Buzz did you get my pm have a look in your inbox cheers Wink

Runs off to look...
Post #103996 2nd Dec 2011 11:03am
MuddyMarky

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
T1G UP wrote:
....... when there are active negociations going on.......

but there aren't..... the TUC etc make it quite clear that the government have no intention of carrying on with negotiations.

Also I take your point about being self employed "no one helps me, etc", but the public sector workers do actually make payments towards the pensions themselves aswell, contrary to what everyone seems to think. The government/we do also contribute, I appreciate, but no more than any other employer used to do when they also offered similar schemes. The main issue seems to be that the government is atttempting to enforce increased contributions, but also make the sector work longer, and actually get less at the end aswell. In the main, the public workers don't mind working longer or paying more, but not all together. The historic difference in levels of pay for private/public sector workers has been quite large for many years, always with the understanding that it almost 'evens' itself up over the person's lifetime (ie once the pension starts to be drawn). We didn't ever hear about any of this when 'times were good' and the private sector were earning large sums in comparison to the public sector. Everyone has the option of applying for jobs within the public sector over the years too, remember. It certainly wasn't a closed shop. It's the choices you make.

The private sector does also have the option of putting money into schemes aswell, but the majority just don't.....and it's not down to affordability. We pay 11% of our wages into our scheme, which is trying to be increased to 14.2% over the next 3 years. We are still in negotiations about it, hence no action from ourselves. Our issue is that there is no affordability problems with our pension scheme, and it has been announced that the increase will not go into 'the pension pot', rather the 'deficit pot'.

Another issue is that the press lump everyone together with this, even though there is not just 1 'public sector pension scheme'. There are parts of the sector that pay as little as 1% into the fund from their wages, with others currently paying 11%. Anyone know what the average contributions in the private sector is? Not very much, even when, as I said above, 'times were good'.

Anyway, Clarkson has his right to say whatever he likes, I think. If that's his view, he's entitled to air it. However, it really was taken completely out of context, if you listen to what was said in the few minutes beforehand.

just my 2 penneth worth Smile Mark
2011 110 XS DC
Stornoway Grey
Post #103999 2nd Dec 2011 11:13am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Personally I am not a fan of Clarkson. He basically a bad comedian who says outrageous things to get his name in the press to keep his profile high. Hence charge more money for shows etc.

Remember there are lies, dammed lies and then there are statistics!

Some of the figures being kicked around include how low pensions are in the public sector

Quote:

The average pension of £4,000 a year - £2,600 for women - does not lead to a gold-plated retirement, but it does mean members have some security in later life.

Averages are a way of expressing figures any way you like. Women in local government include dinner ladies, ok not highly paid, work say 15 hours a week for 39 weeks of the year. Yes they would have a large influence on the average! Quite a high number/school etc.

Lets have some look at other numbers shall we

UK Prime minister salary is £142,500

38 Union leaders have salary packages in excess of £100,000 per year. So should union leaders be paid more then the UK PM??

Unite leader has got £510,000 this year including severance pay!

Midwives £177,000

Nursing £150,00

BMA £145,000

Now which unions are so actively against the alterations in pension scheme?

Average pensioner used to live 10 years drawing pension, now live 20 years!

Brendan
Post #104002 2nd Dec 2011 11:36am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Yup - just got my company pension statement through. Like a lot (most?) pensions, it's related to share values.

I paid £7k into my pension scheme last year, and the value dropped by £3k! How is that! (I do know the answer BTW, but a shock nontheless).

I DO have a LOT of sympathy for front-line staff (Police, Nurses, Teachers, Ambulance crews etc), but NO sympathy for public servants in general.

The muppits behind the Edinburgh Tram Fiasco...£231 MILLIon and 3 years over budget already.

Scottish Paliament Building: Initial estimates for constructing a new building were projected to be between £10m and £40m in 1997. By early 2004, the estimated final cost of the project was set at £430m, some ten times greater

The guys behind the worst in public sector cock-ups seem to escape with payoffs and pensions (I guess Sir Fred did too!). Government cutbacks are much needed imho, to reign-in some of these lunacies.

I had a meeting in town on Wednesday, and the bl**dy demonstrators blocked my bus route Mad I had to get off the bus and jog the last mile, and was late for my meeting Mad Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #104006 2nd Dec 2011 11:39am
Honker

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
walfy wrote:
Trouble is only 5000 people complained.

I'm just amazed 5000 people watch The One Show.
Stu
Post #104008 2nd Dec 2011 11:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 14 123 ... 121314>