↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > jeremy clarkson
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 14 <123 ... 121314>
Print this entire topic · 
ibexman

United Kingdom 
I used to like clarkson , but just of late the whole topgear thing has become a bit CHEESY its all scripted Clarkson LEGEND MORE LIKE LEG END???? Thumbs Up
Post #104011 2nd Dec 2011 11:48am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 
MartinK wrote:
Government cutbacks are much needed imho, to reign-in some of these lunacies.

You'd be amazed (or perhaps not, I don't know) how much lunacy is created by the government in the first place. Many of the rules that are imposed on how local government operates seem specifically designed to make getting anything done more complicated and expensive Rolling Eyes

Getting back to the OP, I find Clarkson pretty funny but I understand that it's all an act for television. Anybody that takes anything he says remotely seriously needs their head examined. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #104016 2nd Dec 2011 12:06pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Whether you love him or hate him, there is no denying that Clarkson is best known for saying things that many people find outrageous. The only reason to invite him on the One show is in the hope that he will do so.

If you listen to the whole of what he said, it is immediately apparent to anyone with even half a brain that he was being flippant (as usual), and no-one in their right mind could take offense from what he actually said. His first commnet supported the strike in a flippant way, then "to provide balance", he made the execution remark in a flippant way.

His flippancy was probably offensive to many people, but to my mind the people who are up in arms about the execution remark are in fact only advertising their own inaquacies and making fools of themselves.

There are many modern "comedians" whom I find deeply offensive, but I simply avoid them. If I cannot avoid, I ignore.

What I find most offensive about this business (and the one thing in my mind that might merit complaining to someone) is the utterly irresponsible manner in which the media have selectively quoted Clarkson in order to make his remarks appear more offensive and less flippant, and to remove the balance. This is, like the media usually are these days, completely misleading and irresponsible.
Post #104032 2nd Dec 2011 1:13pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
You'll no doubt think me wet but I think it's not so much Clarkson expressing his political views that upset people (don't give a crap about what that idiot thinks anyway - just show me some more cars) but what he actually said.
The expression "they should be shot" is used by a lot of people and not terribly offensive BUT saying

"I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families"

is, for me, quite sickening. It's probably because my wife works with kids from African countries where this has actually happened Sad but also because my sister is a teacher in an Essex school and her working conditions are absolutely Censored . She has a family... Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #104039 2nd Dec 2011 1:32pm
scotty38

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
ZeDefender wrote:
You'll no doubt think me wet but I think it's not so much Clarkson expressing his political views that upset people (don't give a crap about what that idiot thinks anyway - just show me some more cars) but what he actually said.
The expression "they should be shot" is used by a lot of people and not terribly offensive BUT saying

"I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families"

is, for me, quite sickening. It's probably because my wife works with kids from African countries where this has actually happened Sad but also because my sister is a teacher in an Essex school and her working conditions are absolutely Censored . She has a family...

I wouldn't call you wet but I would say trying to relate your experiences to what he said and then getting angry about it is ridiculous. The two things just aren't related at all plus I thought you didn't give a crap about what that idiot thinks?
Post #104064 2nd Dec 2011 4:19pm
ZeDefender

Everything is relative to everything else...

Okay - I admit that living 20 years in Germany has probably rubbed off on me a little. Broadcasting to (potentially) an entire nation that large numbers of people should be shot/executed/gassed is generally frowned upon here...even in jest. Tell someone you love them today because life is short.

Last edited by ZeDefender on 2nd Dec 2011 4:47pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #104065 2nd Dec 2011 4:30pm
daviec1

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Bonatti Grey
What HAS been omitted from most reports is that the first part of the conversation went along the lines of "the strikes are GREAT - London was empty today" etc etc.

THEN he said "but because this is the BBC we have to be balanced, so, I think they should all be taken out & shot".

Clearly a sarcastic dig at the BBC and at the perma offended section of society nowadays who live only to complain. 2001 TD5 110 DCPU in Bonatti Grey
Post #104067 2nd Dec 2011 4:40pm
ZeDefender

daviec1 wrote:
THEN he said "but because this is the BBC we have to be balanced, so, I think they should all be taken out & shot".

...and then something about executing them in front of their families, I believe...

daviec1 wrote:
Clearly a sarcastic dig at the BBC and at the perma offended section of society nowadays who live only to complain.

...not entirely sure about that either...

Each to their own, though Sheep Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #104072 2nd Dec 2011 4:52pm
scotty38

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
ZeDefender wrote:
daviec1 wrote:

...and then something about executing them in front of their families, I believe...

daviec1 wrote:
Clearly a sarcastic dig at the BBC and at the perma offended section of society nowadays who live only to complain.

...not entirely sure about that either...

Each to their own, though Sheep

We're going off topic I think but okay then, what gives you the right to call him a crap spouting idiot then?

As daviec1 (sort of) says there are too many people today that think they have a right to say what they want but get all uppity if anyone else says anything they disagree with. I'm sorry your wife has seen the things she has but it's not Clarkson's fault nor are his comments aimed at that either. We all know he woudn't have said it in that context, you know it, I know it and he'd expect to get slated if he did.
Post #104075 2nd Dec 2011 5:08pm
ZeDefender

Laughing Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #104093 2nd Dec 2011 6:37pm
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
I'm not a great fan of Clarkson as in many ways he has become a parody of himself but he has made Unison look stupid for getting hot under the collar over something as silly as the kind of throwaway remark he is renowned for making - remember truck drivers = prostitute murderers, the Gordon Brown remark etc.

If you invite him on to the most inert, lightweight watered down show the BBC produce ie The One show and put him in front of two insipid presenters who have no idea how to handle him then don't be suprised if he puts (as he said himself) a bit of sherry in the trifle !
Post #104114 2nd Dec 2011 8:06pm
ZeDefender

Phew - good thing we all have something in common Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #104116 2nd Dec 2011 8:10pm
richuk

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
Whether you love him or hate him, there is no denying that Clarkson is best known for saying things that many people find outrageous. The only reason to invite him on the One show is in the hope that he will do so.

If you listen to the whole of what he said, it is immediately apparent to anyone with even half a brain that he was being flippant (as usual), and no-one in their right mind could take offense from what he actually said. His first commnet supported the strike in a flippant way, then "to provide balance", he made the execution remark in a flippant way.

His flippancy was probably offensive to many people, but to my mind the people who are up in arms about the execution remark are in fact only advertising their own inaquacies and making fools of themselves.

There are many modern "comedians" whom I find deeply offensive, but I simply avoid them. If I cannot avoid, I ignore.

What I find most offensive about this business (and the one thing in my mind that might merit complaining to someone) is the utterly irresponsible manner in which the media have selectively quoted Clarkson in order to make his remarks appear more offensive and less flippant, and to remove the balance. This is, like the media usually are these days, completely misleading and irresponsible.

I completely agree with Blackwolf. Rich

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat
Post #104119 2nd Dec 2011 8:24pm
ZeDefender

richuk wrote:
blackwolf wrote:

I completely agree with Blackwolf.

He certainly has a point... Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #104129 2nd Dec 2011 9:10pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Even though I totally disagree with Clarksons (supposed) viewpoint, it didn't offend me at all. I honestly think that you choose to be offended, especially by things people say. But there are plenty of people out there who do aim to offend, which is a different thing, and I don't quite think JC falls into that catagory. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #104135 2nd Dec 2011 9:20pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 14 <123 ... 121314>