↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Which Defender to have??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Crazymind

United Kingdom 
i have left the 18” on the Velle but no luck Smile still retuning less than 30 average, which is a miracle considering the size, the twin turbo and the weight. My previous Velle was 150hp and same poor mpg and so it was my 2009 Velle 2.5TDI ( what a beast of engine it was…). If the defender over time returns 26/28mpg I will consider it a miracle.
However, the day of collection, drove back home not exceeding 55mph and after 25 miles the average on the digital dash was 39.5mpg. Probably the on board pc is very optimistic. Still possible for someone to get good miles off one gallon of diesel.
Post #1037877 19th Jun 2024 3:03pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
bear100 wrote:
Moo wrote:

For those that think about MPG when buying and running one of these, I've got to question if it's the car for you? It's a four wheel drive 2.5t brick. The economy is what it is. I've averaged 26.7mpg in 28,000 miles since October 22, which is about what I averaged in my D3 and D4.

Very Happy

Valid question, the p440e quotes 80+ mpg, the V8 18mpg and the diesels 30mpg
with these quoted (Autotrader) stats theres a huge difference.
Do i want to scratch that itch and have another V8 or should i go the opposite and have the hybrid or simply sit in the middle with a diesel (haven't had a petrol car for many years)
simply another choice and asking for opinions when thinking about spending 50-70k Shocked

If your budget will stretch to it then definitely the V8. Unlike the others it feels special to drive. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #1037890 19th Jun 2024 8:03pm
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 
I came from the TDV8 4.4 L405 and bought the D300 130 X-Dynamic HSE.
For exactly the same reasons of economy (150,000 of them!) I chose to "downgrade" to the Defender. I say downgrade, I'll admit the Defender feels less substantial than the FFRR but it is way more practical. The interior space and seating for 8 make it so much more useful. It tows like a train (spare can be a pain for hitching) and people carries, does the Limo thing and the van thing and can off road too. The extended rear is no more overhang than the L405 had but not as chopped as the 110. Mine was bought to carry my family to the restaurant during holidays so we could all get mullered on the Primitivo and the wife drives home. It will tow my 2.5 tonne caravan all over Europe with aplomb and looks fantastic into the bargain. I have never felt it was underpowered coming from the V8 and it averages 32.9mpg overall(I have reverted to using the wifes car for shorter journeys). Towing it returns between 21-23mpg depending on my ACC setting and the guy in front of course.
I found the 110 to be missing some space having had a D3 and a D4 for some 13 years which is why the L405 lacked some practicality. You'll know exactly what I mean as you have experienced similar with your cars. The overiding plus is the Swiss Army practicality and the power that drives it has to be a diesel 6 pot coz it's so well suited. D350 kicks out bigger numbers than the TDV8 too. Thumbs Up 24MY D300 130 X-Dynamic HSE Santorini Black
Post #1037953 20th Jun 2024 3:35pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
Sounds like it'll have to be the V8. I love mine. The engine note is totally seductive, power flow is superb, it has all the toys and it looks great. But I'm a life long petrol head so there was no other choice for me.
There is no supercharger whine, just that V8 burble in the background. I've averaged 20mpg over 10k miles, but for me mpg isn't a concern.
Obviously with your budget it'll be a used one. One advantage of that is that it will have less driver interference devices and any early issues should have been sorted under warranty. There'll be less choice as there are fewer on the road, but the search could be fun though. I don't know how a V8 could be 'trashed', other than any other car, unless of course it featured in a certain 007 advert!
Post #1037999 21st Jun 2024 7:43am
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
lots of advice thanks, its good to hear real world advice rather than dealer spiel.

Looks like the V8 is just top of the list (obviously test drive dependant) then one of the higher diesels.

It won't be an everyday car, i have my Defender puma 110 for all the exciting adventures, my daily drive is a Transit custom and we have a new VW golf for the mrs as she is a driving instructor.
so its mainly a weekend, holiday and family car doing the yearly trip to Europe for Christmas markets and the caravan in Bournmouth as often as we can. so mpg isn't that important but still needs to be considered in my opinion.

Off to the dealers tomorrow to take a look Very Happy

Thanks for the advice..........keep it coming! 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #1038002 21st Jun 2024 8:30am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Moo

Ukraine 
Good luck. But also have a go in a Diesel. They're not as emotive but they are still really good. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1038006 21st Jun 2024 8:53am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

Like you I have a few cars a Puma 110 being one and a L405 being another...

If I want to go quick we have cars that tick that box also.

Out of all of them the Range Rover does feel special when you drive it, its so well built. Just like you I wasn't sure when the new defender came out and so its grown on me...

I do look at what I would swap the RR for, and considered

Porsche Tycan Cross
Porsche Cayanne? (the hybrid one SUV)
RR Sport SVR
Defender

Now in the defender range, for me with the School run and a couple of days on site in work the P400e looks like it would suit. I have solar and batteries so I can top it up for free.

I think the MPG is based in the electric range to offset the petrol... the way I would use it during the week I would probably get away with electric all week and then the weekend on longer runs etc use petrol so all the 'free' mpg offsets the 25 mpg on petrol... if that makes sense?

I went to our local JLR the other week and had a look, Like you the new shape RR are 120K plus (quite a lot on or over £200K)

However.....

I have also seen they have come down to £80 / £85 K for a 350 and the P400 are not far behind...

no imho Defender / Full Fat new shape if your spending £80K its a completely different world to be sat in. At that price I would go Full Fat all day long.

Saying that the P400e Defenders can be had for £55k upwards and so at that level it makes sense.

I looked at the V8 and whilst it would sound great and looks beefy even though mpg isn't really an issue for us, getting teen's in these figures would be a bit draining... Its not very often you could use any more performance that the P400 in the real world.

So for me....

If your looking at a V8 Defender your also into new shape Full Fat and imho two different beasts. RR is still the daddy. When the P400 become a bit more supply at £80K then our current RR may be swapped.

If your looking at £55K / ? £65k plus the P400 would get my vote. I could feel great getting my 19 miles a day for free from the sun Smile

I would not want a diesel one certainly not spending this sort of money. Maybe an early first edition at £45K

imho of course, its very difficult as your current RR is so good ! (I know as I'm looking like you are)

So in the past year I've done nothing... Still nice looking. Smile
Post #1038010 21st Jun 2024 9:22am
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 
With all forms of transport using diesel from cars, vans, trucks and almost every emergency vehicle added to which no one wants an electric car I really can’t see diesel being finished anytime soon. There are a number of alternative fuels that we hear nothing of also which need to be explored. An internal combustion engine which gives less/no emissions would enable the whole car/motor industry to continue as is with an infrastructure already in place. Seems madness to me and an awful lot of people that we’d do a total change to something that really doesn’t work for a lot of people. 24MY D300 130 X-Dynamic HSE Santorini Black
Post #1038011 21st Jun 2024 9:52am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Very happy with my basic D200 110. All the stuff you need and none of the superfluous stuff you don’t, actually better specced than many later high-cost models as it was before the erosion of value began. Diesel will be fine for years, it’s a euro 6 so nothing to worry about there. Power and torque is excellent - tows heavy trailers without breaking a sweat. And less than £50k new so they will now be available at good prices second hand as they come off PCP deals etc.

Never really understood the ‘why worry about mpg on a vehicle like this’ viewpoint. If you do a lot of miles then it matters, it’s the biggest part of the running costs besides depreciation. Mine has averaged 33mpg over 84k varies miles which I’m very happy with. And a big heavy 4x4 that’s used for carrying and towing works brilliantly with a big torquey 6-cylinder diesel engine.
Post #1038060 21st Jun 2024 5:16pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
"l would not want a diesel one certainly not spending this sort of money. Maybe an early first edition at £45K"

Have you actually driven a 3.0 D250 or D300? The engine is awesome, so much torque and a lovely noise when you do extend it.

Plus, as above, over 30mpg achievable.
Post #1038063 21st Jun 2024 6:36pm
Zed

Retroanaconda wrote:
Very happy with my basic D200 110. All the stuff you need and none of the superfluous stuff you don’t, actually better specced than many later high-cost models as it was before the erosion of value began. Diesel will be fine for years, it’s a euro 6 so nothing to worry about there. Power and torque is excellent - tows heavy trailers without breaking a sweat. And less than £50k new so they will now be available at good prices second hand as they come off PCP deals etc.

Never really understood the ‘why worry about mpg on a vehicle like this’ viewpoint. If you do a lot of miles then it matters, it’s the biggest part of the running costs besides depreciation. Mine has averaged 33mpg over 84k varies miles which I’m very happy with. And a big heavy 4x4 that’s used for carrying and towing works brilliantly with a big torquey 6-cylinder diesel engine.

I’m one of those who doesn’t understand why somebody would drop 50-100k on a car and then worry about MPG. I don’t own a new Defender but if I did the only one I’d consider would be the V8, it’s a very nice thing. If MPG was my priority I’d by a decent German estate. It would do absolutely everything better than a Defender bar off road, which if we’re honest only a very tiny minority do anyway.
However it takes all sorts, the world would be a boring place if we were all the same! WARNING.
Post #1038066 21st Jun 2024 7:01pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Because filling a V8 with petrol at 19mpg would cost me £8,500 a year whereas the D200 at 33mpg costs me £5,000 a year. £3.5k is a good chunk of money, I’m not sure why the purchase price of the car is relevant. We’re not all rich.
Post #1038067 21st Jun 2024 7:14pm
Zed

Stacey007 wrote:
Hello

Like you I have a few cars a Puma 110 being one and a L405 being another...

If I want to go quick we have cars that tick that box also.

Out of all of them the Range Rover does feel special when you drive it, its so well built. Just like you I wasn't sure when the new defender came out and so its grown on me...

I do look at what I would swap the RR for, and considered

Porsche Tycan Cross
Porsche Cayanne? (the hybrid one SUV)
RR Sport SVR
Defender

Now in the defender range, for me with the School run and a couple of days on site in work the P400e looks like it would suit. I have solar and batteries so I can top it up for free.

I think the MPG is based in the electric range to offset the petrol... the way I would use it during the week I would probably get away with electric all week and then the weekend on longer runs etc use petrol so all the 'free' mpg offsets the 25 mpg on petrol... if that makes sense?

I went to our local JLR the other week and had a look, Like you the new shape RR are 120K plus (quite a lot on or over £200K)

However.....

I have also seen they have come down to £80 / £85 K for a 350 and the P400 are not far behind...

no imho Defender / Full Fat new shape if your spending £80K its a completely different world to be sat in. At that price I would go Full Fat all day long.

Saying that the P400e Defenders can be had for £55k upwards and so at that level it makes sense.

I looked at the V8 and whilst it would sound great and looks beefy even though mpg isn't really an issue for us, getting teen's in these figures would be a bit draining... Its not very often you could use any more performance that the P400 in the real world.

So for me....

If your looking at a V8 Defender your also into new shape Full Fat and imho two different beasts. RR is still the daddy. When the P400 become a bit more supply at £80K then our current RR may be swapped.

If your looking at £55K / ? £65k plus the P400 would get my vote. I could feel great getting my 19 miles a day for free from the sun Smile

I would not want a diesel one certainly not spending this sort of money. Maybe an early first edition at £45K

imho of course, its very difficult as your current RR is so good ! (I know as I'm looking like you are)

So in the past year I've done nothing... Still nice looking. Smile

The Porsche Taycan cross is amazing. Honestly I think it’s the best all round car I’ve ever driven. WARNING.
Post #1038068 21st Jun 2024 7:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123