↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Which Defender to have??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
RDR

United Kingdom 
I would try and get some test drives to compare its very personal, given the amount of time my L460 was in the dealers I was able to thoroughly test nearly all defender engine derivatives. The d250/300 are almost indistinguishable around town but I noticed the D300 had the edge when towing and on the motorways so went for that. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #1037662 17th Jun 2024 8:58am
Moo

Ukraine 
The 0-60 time is just marketing bull. On the roads today, having a big engine is pretty irrelevant other than for pose and a bit of occasional fun. However, LR has tapped into new customer base where style and BHP are important, previously held by the G-Wagon, which is fair enough.

Maybe I'm not LRs target market Confused . I buy a car to do a job and keep it a long time. My first LR was a Discovery 3 bought in 2005 and sold in 2018 with 230,000 miles. It's still going strong and I'd buy it back in an instant if I knew where it was. Big Cry

For those that think about MPG when buying and running one of these, I've got to question if it's the car for you? It's a four wheel drive 2.5t brick. The economy is what it is. I've averaged 26.7mpg in 28,000 miles since October 22, which is about what I averaged in my D3 and D4.

As for the diesel doom mongers, it'll be a long time yet that current EU6 diesels get penalised then banned. Certainly beyond the ages of anyone buying cars in the next 5 ish years. Residuals aren't great at the moment anyway whether it's electric, diesel or petrol. I've lost £30k in less than two years, but then you don't buy LRs for their resale value. Laughing

In regards of what engine to buy, I think these suit the diesel really well. I've got a mate who has a P400e and it just seems odd and certainly has its limitations.

My D250 is a cracking engine and more than enough for what I do, but it's horses for courses. I certainly didn't want a petrol when I bought mine and am pleased I didn't, but all our needs, wants, fears and desires are different and LR seems to have an engine and spec for everyone with an aftermarket that lets you personalise it like no other car. Very Happy Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1037667 17th Jun 2024 9:22am
tonyp

United Kingdom 
Agree 100% with Moo and have no issue with diesel and this is the best car I have had.

I buy a car for myself to enjoy and never worry about resale values (if you did no one would buy a car).

Tony Tony

MY24 - 110 D300 HSE in Tasman Blue with White Contrast Roof. Air Suspension, Off-Road Pack, Towing Pack, Three-zone Climate Control, HUD, Cold Climate Pack, Classic Mud-Flaps, Fixed Side Steps, Wheel Arch Protection, Rear Recovery Eyes. Plus a few extras to keep the Cocker Spaniel safe & happy.
Post #1037684 17th Jun 2024 2:52pm
Japseroony

England 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
If new then no V8 other than the Octa and that’s as much as a new RR so either the D250, D300 or D350 depending on spec - personally I would stay away from the lower sized petrol with battery back up Whistle

If secondhand then the P400 is sweet but so are the D250 and D300 with not a great deal of difference between the 2 - the D300 just has the edge on performance but either are very good and the 6 cylinder sounds nice Thumbs Up

My current drive is an X-Dynamic HSE 90 D250 and is coming up to 10k miles and I can’t say I am short on power and she is superb off road (she is just under 12 months old and is up for sale if you are interested) and is returning 32mpg on average and I don’t have a light right foot lol.

If you get one then you won’t be disappointed Thumbs Up Gas, Grass Or Ass - Nobody Rides For Free

"UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" ------is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" ----is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" -----------is how far you take the fence with you.
Post #1037693 17th Jun 2024 5:10pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Crazymind wrote:
Diesel not much better though. Mine has got less the 100 miles on the clock but around town it’s showing 20.3mpg. It can possibly improve slightly but not miracles. My T6.1 btdi with a 2L diesel and same weight it’s around the same Mpg.

You must be hoofing it everywhere because l get considerably more than 20mpg from my D250 even when towing the caravan

In normal driving round town l am getting 26-28mpg. And l don't hold up the traffic.

On the motorway it's 25mpg towing the 'van and 40mpg at other times.
Post #1037713 17th Jun 2024 9:03pm
Moo

Ukraine 
Blimey, you must put special Dino juice in to get that. Laughing

Never even get close to it. Confused Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1037716 17th Jun 2024 9:18pm
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Moo wrote:

For those that think about MPG when buying and running one of these, I've got to question if it's the car for you? It's a four wheel drive 2.5t brick. The economy is what it is. I've averaged 26.7mpg in 28,000 miles since October 22, which is about what I averaged in my D3 and D4.

Very Happy

Valid question, the p440e quotes 80+ mpg, the V8 18mpg and the diesels 30mpg
with these quoted (Autotrader) stats theres a huge difference.
Do i want to scratch that itch and have another V8 or should i go the opposite and have the hybrid or simply sit in the middle with a diesel (haven't had a petrol car for many years)
simply another choice and asking for opinions when thinking about spending 50-70k Shocked 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #1037736 18th Jun 2024 7:16am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lightning

United Kingdom 
l suppose it depends on your mileage. l drive my Defender all day every day in my business so while l could probably cope with a vehicle that did 16mpg, 28 is a lot better.

But if l was only using the Defender for recreational purposes then l guess the V8 would be awesome. It won't be long before you can't buy a vehicle with a V8, so maybe it's your last chance before we're all in battery operated vehicles.
Post #1037742 18th Jun 2024 9:02am
lightning

United Kingdom 
Moo wrote:

Never even get close to it. Confused

I just drive it. l don't go particularly fast or slow, l use the "ECO" mode when l can remember but it doesn't make that much difference. And l've got the Goodyear Wranglers on which are a couple MPG down on the previous tyres.
Post #1037743 18th Jun 2024 9:06am
Moo

Ukraine 
bear100 wrote:
Moo wrote:

Very Happy

Valid question, the p440e quotes 80+ mpg, the V8 18mpg and the diesels 30mpg
with these quoted (Autotrader) stats theres a huge difference.
Do i want to scratch that itch and have another V8 or should i go the opposite and have the hybrid or simply sit in the middle with a diesel (haven't had a petrol car for many years)
simply another choice and asking for opinions when thinking about spending 50-70k Shocked

Diesel Thumbs Up It suits the car really well. Besides, a four pot electric with its limited range eventually becomes a four pot petrol. I always think these cars need a minimum of six cylinders. Thumbs Up Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1037748 18th Jun 2024 9:17am
Japseroony

The 4 pot petrol and electric add on is a gimmick used for the company car market- in reality it’s rubbish imho.

As for the V8 for the price you quote you’re going to get an early one that has probably been trashed so be careful when looking for one.

I have to say, I did ask my dealer for a test drive of which he obliged but he did say “you will either love it or hate it and you will know before you get out the car park” - I hated it Whistle Gas, Grass Or Ass - Nobody Rides For Free

Post #1037754 18th Jun 2024 10:44am
zilch

Australia 
Moo wrote:

Never even get close to it. Confused

Shocked

our P400 110 averages around 22.5 mpg over a month, mixture of local and long distance trips (110kph ish) yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #1037783 18th Jun 2024 2:07pm
Japseroony

Crazymind wrote:
I test drove the p400 and imho is the worst of the options when it comes to on road driving.
I am not even talking about consumption ( 16.8mpg after my test drive).
My concern is the engineers have added weight without balancing the car on the road.
Feels heavier than the diesel, roll is more and even the suspensions on air are very bumpy on small obstacles. It also feels like they have used the same gearbox ratio of the diesel engine and it’s not as fluid as you would expect from a Petrol 6 in line. It’s faster by the clock but not really feeling much when accelerating from standstill.
The least powerful of the available diesel has got more torque than the most powerful petrol
Hybrid. A lot of difference in terms of how the power and the torque is delivered. The diesel feels like a truck. It sounds nice and pull strong. It’s perfectly mated to the box and it’s a relaxing drive for wafting along.
I bet the V8 gets both of the 2 worlds: wafting along and acceleration when needed and bonus soundtrack.in my list, V8, any of the diesel, P400.

I had a P400 110 for 18 months and was getting 26-28 mpg daily and high 20s low 30s when on a long run so obviously you were booting it on your test drive!!

As for the V8, the power is not that great and the constant supercharge whine was more that I could cope with - surprisingly enough the V8 engine noise was not that good as the supercharger dround it out Crying or Very sad Gas, Grass Or Ass - Nobody Rides For Free

Post #1037796 18th Jun 2024 4:53pm
Crazymind

United Kingdom 
Not booting it at all! It’s the short journeys the killer. And motorway the rest of the time. My Caravelle returns 28/30mpg at motorway speed and 20 around town.
The Def is pretty much the same weight and the additional 2 cylinders eat more diesel. However this 6 in line is very refined and despite the same power of my Velle pulls like a 6 should. That supercharged whine is the cherry on the cake… wish I could afford one everyday…
Post #1037804 18th Jun 2024 6:08pm
Japseroony

Crazymind, I think it’s your right foot that is the issue as I have for 2 years owned a 204bhp Caravelle and on average was getting 31mpg with 34-36 on a trip. It was a standard car with road tyres and 18” wheels.

My P400 was running Duratrac’s and was doing decent mpg as mentioned earlier. I agree short distances are a killer but not that much and weight once moving is not an issue unless you are braking/accelerating hard Thumbs Up

As others have said, if you/anyone is/are looking for high mpg them maybe a Defender or indeed a LR of any kind is not the vehicle for you and I suggest you drive the V8 and see/listen to the constant whine from the supercharger - it hurts your eardrums Thumbs Up Gas, Grass Or Ass - Nobody Rides For Free

Post #1037810 18th Jun 2024 7:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>