↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > Mirror Clearsight retrofit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
mmbanf

Italy 
Hi and Goodmorning,
pin 7 and 8 as you can see in the diagram are not connected on defender, since the hardware is common to many Land Rovers, it could refer to other functions that we do not have.

Marco
Post #1026577 2nd Mar 2024 2:19pm
Jnhconsulting93

France 
Ah ok Big Thank u marco for your feedback. 🙏🙏🙏I worry the retrofit it’s not compatible now i sure it’s ok. Just modified on hardware.. one thousand thank you marco for the tutorial…
Post #1026578 2nd Mar 2024 2:22pm
ThunderBob

United States 
Retro Fitted Clearsight Mirror Today
After studying Marco’s (mmbaf) guide and getting all the required part numbers from Ian (Hairy Dan) I assembled all the required parts and cables. I studied the videos from Powerful UK and decided today was the day. It as an easy project! First I removed the rear view mirror. Always a little scary the first time you do it. But it came off without a hitch. Next I removed the roof lights console, one of the back seat courtesy lights, and finally the rear trim piece at the tailgate so that I could get access to the antenna. I fed the Land Rover repair cable through the light console to the mirror opening (I fed it from the side of the console and it curved over to the mirror opening quite nicely). I then attached the 3 meter aerial extension cable to an electrician’s “fish” tape and sent it to the courtesy light opening from the rear of the vehicle. I pulled the cable out of the courtesy light hole enough to remove the fish tape. I then inserted the fish tape through the roof light console opening towards the courtesy light opening. I attached the extension cable to the fish and then pulled it back to the roof light console. I connected it the Land Rover repair cable. I went back to the rear of the vehicle and began removing the existing antenna. This was the most difficult part of the project for me. There is limited space in which to work and I had an awful time disconnecting the Fakra cables from old antenna. After about 30 minutes fiddling with it, I was finally able to remove the old antenna and replace it with the new Clearsight antenna. Attaching the Fakra cables is a lot easier the disconnecting them! I moved back to the driver’s seat and attached the cables to the mirror and the mirror to the vehicle. The mirror turned on as soon as I connected the cables. I then coiled up the excess cable, secured it with tape and tucked it up in the headliner. There was a lot of excess cable. I probably could have gotten by with a much shorter cable for my 90. I installed the light console, the courtesy light and the trim at the rear of the Defender. Please note you will need to replace the headliner rear clip (LR091317) as it will break when you access the antenna. After putting my tools away and cleaning up, I broke out the GAP tool and changed MultiCAN 711 to SVRM with Homelink After that was completed I programmed the Homelink to my garage door and then I called it a day, Total time 3 hours. Skill level is about a 2 out of 5. Don’t be afraid to do it.
Post #1037263 13th Jun 2024 5:12am
Moo

Ukraine 
Cool. Nice job. Thumbs Up

I'm still unsure though. So far it's not something I've missed. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1037280 13th Jun 2024 9:12am
The_75th

United Kingdom 
Just to add to this - I didn't use the LR Repair cable. I used the following:

Extension cable lead 3M male Fakra - Fakra female CT27AA118 - ÂŁ10.95

Fakra aerial adapter 35cm female to female car radio antenna extension CT27AA150 - ÂŁ8.79

The camera was from a Discovery Sport @ÂŁ99.99, I can confirm that it fits and works. The mirror was the most expensive part at ÂŁ225.

So all in all: <ÂŁ350
Post #1040993 25th Jul 2024 8:55pm
starbai

United States 
bucks405 wrote:
Hi all , I finally did my clearsight retrofit with my son for my 130 and it works perfectly. The hardest part is to fish the cable from the back to the first light cause need to pass thru the seat belt buckle at the back, I bet only 130 has this challenge cause is a seven seaters.
A big thank for to all of you for providing all the useful information in this forum.
My next project will be adding the PLUMB side steps , PLUMB spare tire case , PLUMB back extension boxes , tail gate soft close , and the extra brake lights and the headlights . Maybe also add the lock furl door flap as well.

Hope could find more topic for the above

Bucks did you use a mirror WITH homelink garage door opener buttons? If so, could you share the part number of the mirror?
Post #1040996 25th Jul 2024 9:17pm
ThunderBob

United States 
Clearsight with Homelink
The part number is LR140340.
Post #1041033 26th Jul 2024 1:15pm
proscoe33

United States 
Super helpful
Thank you so much for putting this info out there as I have always been wondering if this can be done. I am now on my 4th Defender (2 - 110s, 1 - 90, and now most recently a 130) After having my 130 for over a month now it is clear that the Clearsight Mirror is beneficial and I am going to make this upgrade. I have already started collecting the parts and have taken apart 3 other Defenders I am confident I can get everything installed with no issue. What I am not confident in and could use some help with is the scanner tool update side of this process. I was wondering if anyone could provide a bit more detail about this process and more importantly if anyone has any ideas on where to rent or barrow a scan tool. I am in the Philadelphia area and do not mind driving some distance if someone is will to help. Any thoughts would be greatly apprecaited as obviously my dealer is not going to touch it. Thanks in advance and I will let everyone know how the 130 goes as it should be fun routing past 2 sunroofs Smile
Post #1041574 1st Aug 2024 2:01pm
Defendit..

Netherlands 
@ThunderBob
Headlinerclip procedure from workshop manual

Click image to enlarge
 No Mud flaps for my 90.!
-----------------------------------------
P300 S MY21 on air, adv.+ offroad pack, DRL+fog, Dinamica Suedecloth + Ebony headliner/Cross Beam- Many Mods..
Post #1041599 1st Aug 2024 10:22pm
ThunderBob

United States 
@proscoe33

Welcome to the forum!

I retrofitted my clearsight mirror not too long ago. You can go ahead and install your mirror without updating your CCF files and it will work! You can then use your mirror until you can find someone to update your CCF files. I believe the CCF change allows the mirror to adjust the view (up and down) and adjust the contrast. You may wish to budget for a GAP IID tool and do the CCF changes yourself. Thumbs Up
Post #1041603 1st Aug 2024 11:05pm
dgm130

Canada 
bucks405 wrote:
Hi all , I finally did my clearsight retrofit with my son for my 130 and it works perfectly. The hardest part is to fish the cable from the back to the first light cause need to pass thru the seat belt buckle at the back, I bet only 130 has this challenge cause is a seven seaters.
A big thank for to all of you for providing all the useful information in this forum.
My next project will be adding the PLUMB side steps , PLUMB spare tire case , PLUMB back extension boxes , tail gate soft close , and the extra brake lights and the headlights . Maybe also add the lock furl door flap as well.

Hope could find more topic for the above

bucks405 - I have a 130 as well and can you tell me which cables you used? I see two different LR repair cables in this thread.
Post #1041611 2nd Aug 2024 4:04am
proscoe33

United States 
ThunderBob wrote:
@proscoe33

Welcome to the forum!

I retrofitted my clearsight mirror not too long ago. You can go ahead and install your mirror without updating your CCF files and it will work! You can then use your mirror until you can find someone to update your CCF files. I believe the CCF change allows the mirror to adjust the view (up and down) and adjust the contrast. You may wish to budget for a GAP IID tool and do the CCF changes yourself. Thumbs Up

Thanks for the welcome! Super excited to be here and am not sure why I didnt join sooner. I was lucky enough to receive one of the first 110s to arrive in the US when they first landed and have dug through 4 now in depth at this point. Once this project is done, I want to figure out how to add the cooler box.
Post #1041682 2nd Aug 2024 3:03pm
proscoe33

United States 
130 Install Complete
Finally had a chance to complete this upgrade today on a 2024 130 and everything went relatively smoothly. I ordered LR repair wire LR164584 and 3m Fakra cable here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M7TG6V2?psc=1...ct_details

Definitely ended up with more than enough as the Fakra cable alone reached the antenna. I ended up spooling the repair wire and stashing in the headliner near the antenna. Routing to the mirror from the overhead opening was the easiest part and I then used the BT microphone hole, then the front passenger reading light, then the second row reading light and barrier mount, and lastly the third row middle seat chest belt. Probably more than I needed but made for nice routing to avoid any inference with the sunroof. Tried to save the yellow headliner clip but as everyone mentioned its disposable and breaks no matter what you do. I alos did not need to remove the rear gate weather seal like Powerful UK mentioned as the plastic headliner cover was removed easily by just pulling back the small rubber lip.

Unplugging the old antenna connections was the hardest part for me as the 3rd row seat belt adds a bit of hardware in that area which I do not believe is on the smaller models. Rest was easy peezy. Only thing I would do differently next time would be to run it down the drivers side versus the passenger to avoid the third row seat belt.

Now with the bigger issue I am hoping someone can chime in on. When I plugged in the mirror to my amazement everything was working, all mirror controls ect which left me confused as I thought it required a CFF change. That said, the minute i flipped on the mirror again the whole displayed image shifted down just a little leaving a gap in the screen display on the top and the icons on the bottom of the image cut off just a little. Super odd and I watched it happen. I did end up buying a Gap Gen 4, Thanks Lucky8! so maybe I do need to check the file and potentially re install it? Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Post #1042954 16th Aug 2024 8:01pm
B3e4u2nv

Installation completed but no image.
Hi all,

I have been following this thread for a while and finally got all the parts for the retrofit. Thank you all for the information posted on this thread. Thank god for forums! lol.

Anyhow, I have completed the retrofit by following what Marco has posted. After installing and connecting everything, nothing comes up on the display. Is it because it hasn’t been coded in? (Only reason why I ask is because I read that other users have done the retrofit without coding and it has turned on).

Also my previous mirror only has 6 connector pins just like the harness only has 6, on the clearsight mirror it has 8 connector pins. (However I have read Marco said that they are not needed and maybe extra features, as the connectors are generic.)

If anyone can advise I’ll really appreciate it.

Thanks.
B3E

[/b]
Post #1047592 3rd Oct 2024 5:28pm
mmbanf

Italy 
hello B3E,
many car systems connected to can-bus systems do not turn on if they do not have the correct code on the bus line.
The retrofit is 100% only plug and play, the connector does not require any modification, do you have a way to change the ccf?
Otherwise you have to find a friend of the forum who with the gap and an upgrade on a new vin, can do the coding for you.

marco
Post #1047628 3rd Oct 2024 8:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>