↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Faulty ECU causing cutting out and killing camping trip !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
N5tys

2004 Defender 90 2.5 TD SW Bonatti Grey
Faulty ECU causing cutting out and killing camping trip !
wondering if any of you guys can help me out with an issue that i have been having recently ? a few months ago the truck died on a camping trip to wales this lead me to be stuck on a not so smart motorway for three hours with my 6 year old this was not much fun at all ! the truck died there was no fuel pump running and i lost the temp gauge then we frantically messed with the wiring beneath the drivers seat and by amazement the fuel pump sounded and we were off again

i was convinced the problem was the small black earth under the seat so when we got to wales we removed this wire i then tried to start the truck and there was no fuel pump and no temp gauge , in my head i was excited i had found the problem so i cleaned the wire and re attached it and the truck has been working perfectly since

then this weekend we braved another trip this time weymouth ! all was good until on the way back last night and she died again with the same symptoms this time we tried the earth taken it off and back on and still it would not start with that my six year old said to me hit that silver thing dad i for a laugh and a bit stress relief i hit the ecu with a spanner and with that the gauge flew into life and the truck started he did get rewarded a MC Donalds for the idea , so im guessing now i have a duff ECU ?

does anyone on here know of any ECU repair places ? it has been chipped by the former owner so nut sure if this matters ? any help would be appreciated
Post #1036375 3rd Jun 2024 1:56pm
Inguz

Have you checked the red plug for oil?
Post #1036382 3rd Jun 2024 3:04pm
N5tys

thanks for the rely , i did change the injector harness when i purchased the truck last year though did not open the ECU its self maybe its worth prising it open ? just a bit worried that i cant trust it now without getting it looked at ?
Post #1036387 3rd Jun 2024 3:29pm
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
Sounds like a capacitor issue have you read any fault codes? They usually show as a top side switch fault. If you loose the glow plug light and temp gauge then check the relays are making a good contact under the drivers seat.
Post #1036396 3rd Jun 2024 6:17pm
N5tys

thanks , i have checked the relays though all seam to have a good connection , when you say capacitor do you mean within the ECU its self ? it was definitely the tap on the ECU that sorted it .
Post #1036403 3rd Jun 2024 7:04pm
N5tys

sorry forgot to mention unfortunately i have no way to check for fault codes the truck is running again now but the same issue is bound to happen again
Post #1036404 3rd Jun 2024 7:06pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
It looks more like problem in wires/connectors/sockets than in ECU.
I have repaired quite a lot of TD5 ECUs, and it was never susceptible to any mechanical movement. Check wires, connectors, relays and relay sockets for any signs of corrosion or burn marks.
But before any big work, try someone with Nanocom to read faults and check live data. Without this, you are "blind". "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #1036444 4th Jun 2024 8:39am
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
Dan at Storm Tuning in Rotherham tests and repairs TD5 ecus.

Can vouch for his work, we have had a couple of customers issues sorted by him with ECUs and where he hasn’t been able/hadn’t been cost effective to repair he can usually supply a tested second hand unit from stock.

Chris
Post #1036448 4th Jun 2024 9:02am
N5tys

thanks for the help that is great ill try and find someone in the south area that has nano and double check wiring
Post #1036480 4th Jun 2024 3:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1