↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A day in the life of Miffy the 110...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 48 of 60 <123 ... 474849 ... 585960>
Print this entire topic · 
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Comfy pair of slippers - I like that analogy and relate to it!
Post #1009813 2nd Oct 2023 8:38pm
L110CDL

England 
I thinking the same Screbble Thumbs Up

I bet when you were driving Miffy you were smiling from the start to the finish Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up.

Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1009819 2nd Oct 2023 8:59pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Mr. Green Mr. Green You bet your ass I was Mr. Green Mr. Green

What is not to love about a turbo diesel powered brick with twin ATBs and an ASBO exhaust Thumbs Up

I do wish I didn't have the exhaust mind you.
Post #1009826 2nd Oct 2023 9:23pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Smiles per hour/gallon πŸ‘
Post #1009830 2nd Oct 2023 9:41pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Well you know, she's been extremely fuel efficient over the last few months Rolling with laughter Would hate for the diesel in her tank to get stale...
Post #1009833 2nd Oct 2023 9:43pm
L110CDL

England 
I thought you might be Mr. Green

Iv'e got the first half but no ATB's but i do love my centre-less silencer Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up.

Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1009835 2nd Oct 2023 9:46pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Is it on a tee that you could rotate away from the heat? or just wrap in tinfoil!

The answer is... Do not buy super cheap alternatives.. Buy the proper sensor. Looking at where I have it mounted it is away from the turbo and shielded by the turbo heat shield. Think it was just a cheap part.

So, first light this morning I popped out and replaced the offending item:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

As you can see it is mounted on the heater box next to the Provent. I do not think it could get that hot sat there.

The result I am happy to say is a nice consistent non-fluctuating pressure value of 4 bar when cold and 1.2 bar after a good run down the road. Perfect TD5 oil pressure values for an old girl.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then since I had a bit more time I fitted the winch and the front end back on to her too. The only irritation is that during the refurb months the winch motor has seized, the drum and gearbox are A-OK... Balls... I wonder what has stuck solid?!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And most importantly the "NO OIL" tag has finally come off. This is the reverse of the label that indicates the oils for many Land Rovers.

Click image to enlarge

​I also re-torqued all the suspension components after yesterday's run around, one or two were a little out. All in all the old girl is good for the highway once more.
Post #1009886 3rd Oct 2023 11:38am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
L110CDL wrote:
I thought you might be Mr. Green

Iv'e got the first half but no ATB's but i do love my centre-less silencer Wink

Yes, quite the burble and roar it does allow Rolling Eyes

I remembered when navigating the carpark that I meant to do the steering stops this morning as well...

14 point turn later and I was parked up Rolling with laughter

Something for tomorrow AM I think.

The ATBs are superb (after 15 miles...) the observations so far:

The return to centre is quite strong, but not horrible by any standard, just a nice feel.

The spirited pull off from the junction, which would previously have had a front wheel spinning, has all but ceased to happen. It just grips and go's... Which is amazing as that always irritated me when trying to get out of a junction.

There is a strong oversteer at full lock slow speed junctions on grippy surfaces. Nothing horrid, just needs getting used to.

There is an interesting feeling under heavyish braking on damp tarmac where I believe the diff is transferring power from left to right as the tyres fight for grip. Nothing horrid, just feels like transference of power.

The brake discs are quickly losing their surface rust and the awesome braking feel Miffy had is coming back, along with the shiny brake discs. What is certain is that compared to before fitting the ATBs the braking appears to be better and Miffy is maintaining a straighter line. Interesting thing I did not expect. Of course it could just be that everything underneath is just in good condition, greased and torqued up properly. Time will tell.
[/list]
Post #1009891 3rd Oct 2023 11:54am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Well, 1630 and the Lanoguard arrived... Yup... 5 litres of squeezed sheep... Just got back in (now 2000) after losing all 5 litres into one onto Miffy...

Now we are ready for winters embrace... Rolling Eyes Mr. Green

Goodness, I smell of sheep and managed to get a darned good drip fall directly into my left nostril. Not a chance of rust up there this winter, wonder if it will defend against a new strain of covid?!
Post #1009941 3rd Oct 2023 8:14pm
Cragster69

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Cairns Blue
Where did you fit the 5 litres? Rolling with laughter

Worried now that I should spray a few more litres into the chassis Sheep Craig.

β€œDon't believe everything you read on the internet.” ― Abraham Lincoln

www.scotgrc.co.uk
Post #1009947 3rd Oct 2023 8:56pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Well, in other news.... Miffy's winch has finally crossed the river stix into the afterlife. Somehow over the summer its motor has self destructed and will not turn, it just smokes. A lot...

Well it is decades old and has done so much work in its life, but even regular servicing can only take a winch so far...

Irritatingly it is also a square drive motor rather than the more common splined motor so it is not looking hopeful I will get a replacement. Balls. It is not that I neeeeeed a winch or feel insecure without one it is that the winch tray looks weird without one sitting snug in there. So on the hunt for a second hand winch and until then the hand winch will make a return to the vehicle.

You just never know... Rolling Eyes Thumbs Up
Post #1009951 3rd Oct 2023 9:21pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Cragster69 wrote:
Where did you fit the 5 litres? Rolling with laughter

Worried now that I should spray a few more litres into the chassis Sheep

Goodness it was surprisingly easy. I did do all of the newly refurbished suspension components as well mind you and the chassis was dripping a tad as well. It is amazing how many nooks and crannies there are once you are lying underneath with a loaded hand pump at the ready...

If it were not for the fact that I live on a sheep farm you'd think as you passed Miffy this evening that I lived on a sheep farm Rolling Eyes Rolling with laughter

As said in previous posts the plan is to keep this chassis going for a little longer then to replace it in a few years or so. This is just a case of preservation in preparation for the new chassis.
Post #1009954 3rd Oct 2023 9:25pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Steering stops and headlining
Well, it is tea break so time to add to the exploits of Myfanwy (which roughly translated means "Beloved" amongst others). This morning, a little after sunrise I was out to adjust the steering stops as doing 14 point turns to get out of junctions is a little awkward.

For those of you that do not know what I am talking about. The steering stop on all Defenders, Dicos 1s and RRCs are two locknuted bolts on the front of the swivels. These impact on a plate attached to the axle casing and physically prevents the amount you can turn the wheels in either direction. This is needed to prevent the tyres from rubbing on the radius arms at full lock. It is an easy enough task to adjust the stops, provided they have been maintained with grease. If not they can be quite rusted in place. The reasons for needing to adjust the steering stops include when you fit wheels with a different offset or different sized tyres or a suspension lift. In the case of the latter it is usual that one steering stop will be marginally more extended than the other as the panhard rod is a fixed length so the axle rotates on an arc to one side.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

When you are done grease them up to prevent them rusting in position. It looks ugly but it is functional.

I then noticed whilst testing the steering whilst running that the headlining was absolutely filthy.When on Earth did it get some grimy??? Surprised Surprised Time to break out the Meguiars multi purpose cleaner, excellent stuff this. Just look at the difference...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Yikes...
Post #1009998 4th Oct 2023 10:51am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Also an MOT failure for tyres rubbing on the radius arms.

The headlining my unnamed 110 is of the same griminess as yours. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #1010000 4th Oct 2023 10:57am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Yes you are right about the MOT failure.

I expect the grime is bacterial or mould as it seems to have become worse over the period Miffy has been sitting. Cleans off easily enough though.

Think she could do with a good run and some warmth in there, some dryness.
Post #1010001 4th Oct 2023 11:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 48 of 60 <123 ... 474849 ... 585960>