↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A day in the life of Miffy the 110...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 47 of 60 <123 ... 464748 ... 585960>
Print this entire topic · 
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Keep it up - as well as making Miffy even better than she was, you are also putting many of us to shame! Very Happy
Post #1009412 29th Sep 2023 7:43pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Oh you know how it is Screbble if you leave the maintenance for too long you’ll only have to spend double in time and money to drag the old girl back up by her boot straps Rolling Eyes Rolling with laughter

Tomorrow I should have the rear X-Eng ARB on and possibly the Jack able sills… then… drive?!? Shocked
Post #1009417 29th Sep 2023 7:58pm
L110CDL

England 
Great seeing Miffy on all four wheels now Thumbs Up

I agree with the QT diff guard they are good and as you say it looked after the diff very well, iv'e still got my front QT diff guard on but i up graded the the rear diff " guard " Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up.

Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1009423 29th Sep 2023 8:31pm
Screbble

geobloke wrote:
Oh you know how it is Screbble if you leave the maintenance for too long you’ll only have to spend double in time and money to drag the old girl back up by her boot straps Rolling Eyes Rolling with laughter

Tomorrow I should have the rear X-Eng ARB on and possibly the Jack able sills… then… drive?!? Shocked

Looking forward to the next update then - the road trip 👍
Post #1009425 29th Sep 2023 8:54pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
All I am going to say is...

...Miffy has a full compliment of rivets once more Mr. Green
Post #1009496 30th Sep 2023 1:44pm
Screbble

That’s good to hear - I hope she is shining in the sun…
Post #1009507 30th Sep 2023 4:00pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Well I had precisely 2 hours and 26 minutes of dry weather this morning, then the heavens opened and it hasn't stopped since... Do not get me wrong I know there is a very good reason why the song goes "the green green grass of home", but come on give a Land Rover owner a break will you.... Rolling with laughter

But... Stuff was done. In that 2 hours and 26 minutes I managed to refit the refurbished X-Deflex and it is engaging beautifully now it has been greased to kingdom come. All new bolts, washers and nuts. And it looks great in black paint.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I know some folks recently have said that the link arms come very close to the spring hangers and I thought posting a few photos of how close they fit on Miffy. I remembered this morning that it is really close but the only thing that need trimming was the corner of the spring retainer. In the years since fitting the fit the link arm has never impacted on the suspension.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

But... The most wonderful thing about today was the refitting of the C-pillar corner panel. What a difference a small piece of painted aluminium makes to the appearance of the old girl. Looks almost ready for the road...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I have yet to replace the c-pillars and I have run out of time this year to do the job, so I have rust converted and added a good coating of janoguard over the affected areas knowing that next spring I will have to attend to them. They will last another season. The same cannot be said for the second row cross member, which I will have to do this autumn, but that will be IF I get a decent weekend to do the job. Until then every bolt has had a good few squirts of WD40 in preparation and later on next week there will be a Lanoguard extravaganza underneath the old girl. The motto for the next 6 months is preservation until spring.

So, please excuse the paintwork, she is utterly filthy having been the toilet of a flock of sparrows this summer and the deposition zone of the cattle bedding machine in the barn not 15 metres away. Billows of straw dust...

The next things to do are the jackal sills, rear steps, tow bar and front grill/winch/DRLs and she is good to go for this winter. Probably a good mornings effort. Maybe tomorrow IF it is not raining...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1009521 30th Sep 2023 5:49pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Like a phoenix from the ashes...
Well another busy few hours this evening on the old girl sees her driving... Actually driving Shocked Although the evidence in this vid is just her idling but the keen eyed of you will notice she was facing the other way yesterday.

https://youtu.be/UlUmODDorvg

I know it is not a click-bait worthy vid but it was excellent to get behind the wheel again. She's such a lovely vehicle to drive. So, she got a good warm up around the estate and tomorrow it will be a case of looking around for the leaks, it has been a while since she last got up to operating temps.

There will be none... of course... Rolling with laughter

The other things that happened this evening to get her to the running around stage was the replacement of the jackal sills as they hold the sides up. Quick check of the oils and turn the key. Boom, fires straight up. Love this motor.

Whilst everything was getting warm I had a test fit of the RAI and the new anti vibration bushes. Looks good in its new textured paint, or at least I think it does. Yes the mounting bracket is home-made and if it looks like it took 5 minutes, that is because it did. The reason for the anti-vibration bushes is because the bottom end of the RAI is bolted to the aluminium wing so I have added a measure of flex into the mount instead of the RAI being rigidly fixed at both ends. The bushes are a bit chunkier than I would like but they will do the job.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

She moves... and under her own steam... Could do with a numberplate though I guess...

Click image to enlarge
Post #1009658 1st Oct 2023 7:57pm
Screbble

An excellent end to another busy day - I can feel the satisfaction and pride from here 👍👍👍👍👍
Post #1009660 1st Oct 2023 8:08pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Yeah I am getting there... Getting there.

What was nice was that there wasn't any weird noises from the refurbed axles and diffs. All felt tight, positive and quiet. The first proper drive is only around the corner and I cannot wait to try out the twin ATBs with winter around the corner. What was immediately obvious was that the steering is marginally heavier, but it centres beautifully after a turn. I can definitely feel the difference when turning sharply on gravel, the tyres seems to grip more, they leave more turned over stones anyway. There is much less one wheel wheel spinning on the gravel.

The only irritating bit is that the brake discs have a lot of surface corrosion from sitting and they are a little noisy. Going to take some heavyish braking to get them back to their shiny best. Feels a little like the brakes need another bleed as well, the pedal is just a little too soft. No doubt having been completely drained there is a stubborn air bubble or two hiding away.

Oooo one interesting thing is that the removal of the AC lower dash is allowing huge volume of volcanic heat to reach the footwells. I haven't looked but I wonder if the AC dash vent is a much smaller hole than the standard dash vent hole?!

Amazing how when a vehicle is out of regular use it grows new quirks...
Post #1009661 1st Oct 2023 8:29pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Popped out at the crack of dawn this morning and fitted Miffy's RAI and sealed internal manifold. It is good to have this back on, love the look and functionality of a RAI. Plus I have been known to go for a swim from time to time.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

As with the bumper and sills the RAI has been Raptor coated with 2K rattle can. Love the satin textured look to it. The newly adjusted upper support bracket and anti vibration bushes fitted perfectly. All hardware was replaced with stainless steel, greased and capped. Then there is the marvellous induction noise.

The old girl really needs a good wash next I think. Hopefully the 5 litres of Lanoguard will arrive soon so I can get the insides of the chassis "slathered in huile de mouton"...

But, first a re-bleed of the brakes. Just a bit too spongey for my liking.
Post #1009717 2nd Oct 2023 11:27am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Oil pressure sensor for Madman gauge.
Then at 1936 on a Monday EVRI deliver my VDO pressure sensor that apparently is not even "in transit" yet and not due until Wednesday... :rolleyes: :rofl:

Click image to enlarge

I am hoping this sorts out the weird and quite frankly impossible fluctuations in oil pressure being relayed to the gauge. One second 0 and the next 8 or 10 Bar... Just not possible... The sensor fitted is a cheap aftermarket item so fingers crossed this VDO one sorts the problem out.

Just trying to imagine the fountains of oil exploding from the engine when peaking at 10 BAR :rofl::rofl: Impossible...
Post #1009791 2nd Oct 2023 7:42pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Coming to think about fitting the sensor tomorrow and doing a bit of reading I may have fitted the sensor too close to the exhaust and turbo. Apparently excess heat and vibration can be detrimental to the longevity and operation of the sensor.

Hmmm... I wonder how far I can extend the sensor away from the turbo...
Post #1009800 2nd Oct 2023 8:13pm
L110CDL

England 
Great amount of work carried out on Miffy even in the 2hr and 26 minutes Wink she looks so much better now with the wheels, front number plate on and there's nothing like doing your own snorkel making sure it's all water tight and having no problems when taking a dip Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up.

Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1009807 2nd Oct 2023 8:25pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Honestly Clay I took her for a good drive around the back roads this evening and it was like slipping into a comfy pair of slippers. There will be no dipping into the rivers near me anytime soon, so much rain they are close to flooding the fields.
Post #1009810 2nd Oct 2023 8:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 47 of 60 <123 ... 464748 ... 585960>