↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Set your propshafts to phasing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jbcollier

Canada 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Set your propshafts to phasing
I have done a lot of work to my 2009 110. Mostly catching up on deferred maintenance but improvements as well. While fitting three Ashcroft ATB diffs (front/rear/centre) I decided to modify and fit a D2 front shaft (double-cardan, no phasing) I had to spare. Never really paid much attention afterwards but no complaints until I noticed my gearshift dancing the Tarantella at about 120 kph on the highway.

Hmm.

I pulled the modified propshaft, swapped the output flange back and refit the stock shaft (phased). Now it is much calmer at speed but NVH is way up in the 60 kph range -- not "Honey. can you hear that?" levels but "Holy S***, what's that?!" levels.

I go online and I see double cardaned front shafts phased (Gwyn Lewis) and unphased (Terrafirma and pretty much what I have with the modified D2 shaft). Before shelling out the $$, anyone out there have experience with the Gwyn Lewis shaft and can comment on low and high speed vibrations?
Post #1043101 18th Aug 2024 1:59pm
jbcollier

Oh, and before you ask, no, I can't simply phase the modified D2 shaft. Though I can't see a master spline, it binds in any other position.
Post #1043104 18th Aug 2024 2:55pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Can't say I've had any issue with my GL DC front shaft.
Post #1043111 18th Aug 2024 5:14pm
jbcollier

Thanks.

Is it in phase out of phase?
Post #1043128 18th Aug 2024 7:59pm
MarkBrown

Wales 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
I’ve no experience with GL props, but have a double carden Disco 2 ft prop. When fitted it had no vibration at Motorway speeds ( 70 mph + ) it’s a little more grumbly now, but the three joints need replacement. I’d email GL and ask what the difference is, he’s got a great reputation and has been most helpful with the things I’ve done on my truck, the more technical the better!
Post #1043134 18th Aug 2024 9:39pm
blackwolf

The GL shaft correctly compensates for the Puma's curious driveline geometry. Have a look at the photos on his website.
Post #1043139 18th Aug 2024 11:07pm
jbcollier

Thanks, appreciate the first hand experience. I've swapped back to the modified D2 shaft while I wait for the GL DC shaft to arrive. I've also ordered a DC rear shaft from Raptor. The difference between stock and DC is so dramatic at the front, it got me curious to try one at the rear. Won't be as dramatic a difference but worth a shot.
Post #1043143 19th Aug 2024 12:25am
jbcollier

Mark Brown: While a D2 front shaft fits in many Defenders, it doesn't in a Puma as the engine/tranny/transfer case unit was moved backwards. You can use a D2 shaft as the basis of a Puma front shaft but you will have to get it lengthened.
Post #1043146 19th Aug 2024 3:22am
blackwolf

The Disco2 also had a larger diameter front output flange to the transfer box to accommodate the DC propshaft, and the diff-lock operating mechanism within the front output housing was altered to provide clearance for the flange. I don't actually know if the Disco 2 flange will fit on the Defender version of the LT230 box. The GL DC heavy-duty "mega extreme" propshaft has a standard Defender-sized flange.
Post #1043163 19th Aug 2024 9:21am
MarkBrown

Wales 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
The Disco 2 flange fits a standard LT230 as I’ve done it, at least the version of the LT230 I had ( still have, but not currently fitted ) Yes, the GL website explain the difference between the phasing which I didn’t know about and is quite interesting and explains it well.
Post #1043164 19th Aug 2024 9:35am
jbcollier

So now I have three front prop shafts for my Puma.

1) Stock shaft (out of phase)
+ not much vibration at speed, light, simple to repair, inexpensive (Land Rover relative, mind)
- there are speeds where it does vibrate and the resulting resonance can be quite loud

2) Modified D2 front shaft (in phase)
+ not much vibration at speed
- stress on diff end u-joint means greater wear (six months MTBF?), heavier, custom so $$$

3) Gwyn Lewis double-cardan, EXO (out of phase)
+ virtually no vibration at any speed, extra large u-joints and splines, HD to the extreme
- HEAVY, $$$$$

I'm sticking with the Gwyn Lewis shaft but it would be nice if someone would make an out of phase, double cardan, shaft that was of the same quality as the D2 shaft. It would be less expensive, lighter and strong enough for Pumas with no lift.

YMMV
Post #1043864 26th Aug 2024 12:38am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
The double cardan joint is by nature balanced. I recall the D2 had the rubber type flex joint on the other end so the whole train was balanced.

I am correct in thinking you have a double cardan joint on one side and single one on the other? In that case you end up with an unbalanced shaft.
Post #1043874 26th Aug 2024 7:26am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
I run a solid axle toyota hilux DC propshaft in phase. Cheap, solid and no vibrations. Heavier than std LR propshaft.

jbcollier wrote:
So now I have three front prop shafts for my Puma.

1) Stock shaft (out of phase)
+ not much vibration at speed, light, simple to repair, inexpensive (Land Rover relative, mind)
- there are speeds where it does vibrate and the resulting resonance can be quite loud

2) Modified D2 front shaft (in phase)
+ not much vibration at speed
- stress on diff end u-joint means greater wear (six months MTBF?), heavier, custom so $$$

3) Gwyn Lewis double-cardan, EXO (out of phase)
+ virtually no vibration at any speed, extra large u-joints and splines, HD to the extreme
- HEAVY, $$$$$

I'm sticking with the Gwyn Lewis shaft but it would be nice if someone would make an out of phase, double cardan, shaft that was of the same quality as the D2 shaft. It would be less expensive, lighter and strong enough for Pumas with no lift.

YMMV
 Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #1043893 26th Aug 2024 12:58pm
jbcollier

It's subtle but I get a little bit of gearshift "wiggle" at 120 kph with the modified D2 shaft. As the diff end u-joint wears, the wiggle increases until it is hopping about (just a wee bit of axial play is all it takes). Unfortunately the D2 shaft's spline is such that I can't set it out of phase without remaking the shaft.

Which exact model of Toyota Hilux? Do you have a part number for the shaft? Does it just bolt in?
Post #1043896 26th Aug 2024 1:16pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Well, I rarely drive over 100 km/h so I cannot give an opinion about vibrations at "high" speeds.

No. I do not have the part number as I got it from a scrap yard. Hilux went to IFS around 1998, so any model before such year.

I suggest you contact Tom Wood´s (google) as he knows his science. And it was not a straight fit, but a minor mod on the rear flange.

edit. The above mentioned name also offers various LR propshafts. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later

Last edited by MK on 26th Aug 2024 2:01pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1043898 26th Aug 2024 1:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>