↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > P400e Area (L663) > Replacing PHEV main batteries - any idea on cost?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ritson

France 
Replacing PHEV main batteries - any idea on cost?
Just wondering if anyone knows the approximate cost of replacing the main batteries when the time comes. Mine's coming up to 3 years old now and the max range has dropped by about 10%. I seem to remember reading somewhere that LR guarantees a 70% battery capacity up to 7 years.

I'm hoping by then alternates to OEM batteries may be available which offer greater capacity therefore greater range?

Cheers in advance Current: MY22 P400e SE
Prior: Discovery Sport HSE, Jaguar F-Type S, Discovery 3, RR Vogue
Post #1043318 20th Aug 2024 4:53pm
Crazymind

United Kingdom 
My EV battery, 90kwh would be 40k to replace today. Takes into account 8k to pay the garage to swap the battery.
Reasonably to replace your battery today you are looking at 8/10k at least in Uk.
Battery at 70% means it’s done. In 7 Years I would expect to get new gen batteries with different chemicals, more density and capacity and same volume.
Post #1043371 20th Aug 2024 9:48pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Throw in vehicle depreciation then in reality you are looking at scrap value in the long run.

Even in the e-bike world no third party supplier is making replacement batteries for older models, and they have been around longer.

Modern vehicles are just not meant to be kept. Unfortunately you just have to know when to cut your losses, it also means this is how they will get you into a fully electric car even if you don’t want one.
Post #1043404 21st Aug 2024 8:16am
Ritson

France 
Thought as much. I'm intending keeping mine for some years yet, so I think spending another 10k in 4 years time will be worth it. Current: MY22 P400e SE
Prior: Discovery Sport HSE, Jaguar F-Type S, Discovery 3, RR Vogue
Post #1043421 21st Aug 2024 9:43am
Moo

Ukraine 
I'm going to be on dinosaur juice for many years yet... Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1043424 21st Aug 2024 9:47am
Gareth

England 
Maybe PHEV batteries will need replacement sooner than BEV vehicles? They work harder. Our EV (Vw) is coming up to 4 years old, and the battery health is still at 100%. The range is the same today as it was when new.

We usually only charge to 80% which covers our needs, only charging to 100% when necessary. Do PHEV owners always go to 100% charge? 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #1043518 22nd Aug 2024 7:22am
ardevd

Norway 
A battery health of 100% after 4 years would defy physics. I strongly suspect that number is incorrect.

Yes, PHEV batteries go through a much higher number of cycles but they also have a significantly larger buffer, meaning they don’t necessarily reach harmful states of SoC. Hence longevity should be pretty comparable to BEVs.
Post #1044620 3rd Sep 2024 1:12am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Crazymind wrote:
... In 7 Years I would expect to get new gen batteries with different chemicals, more density and capacity and same volume.

With current trends I would expect the vehicle to be obsolete in seven years, so although I have no doubt that much better batteries will be available I wouldn't necessarily expect that they would fit a seven-year-old vehicle.
Post #1044634 3rd Sep 2024 8:43am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
The technology to the rescue phenomena must have a lot of confirmation bias.

Sure there are examples were technology has solved big challenges: LED lights, consumer electronics, anything with electronics, but there are an equal or more examples where it has lead to nothing: Living in space, flying cars, unlimited energy, various social issues.

I think batteries might have reached this point where we might see incremental changes only. Surely a battery with immense power density, enormous charge and discharge currents and infinite life would have been invented by now.

I also don't see any development towards sustainability in general with shortening of equipment life cycles, no repairs possibilities, software dependence an other planned obsolescence.

Its all a con. In any case society's demised is more likely to come from social media than the environment I think
Post #1044643 3rd Sep 2024 11:40am
ardevd

Norway 
I disagree!

Firstly, a common misconception is that faulty battery packs mean the entire battery pack needs to be replaced. A BEV battery consists of a large number of individual cells that can be swapped out if any one of them get faulty.

Secondly, second hand BEV batteries are being used for renewable energy storage to great effect!

Thirdly, there’s ALOT of R&D into battery technology, and if you look at EV range increases over the last few years we’ve almost doubled efficiency of EV batteries in a relatively short amount of time.

Lastly, EV batteries are generally extremely durable when treated well.
Post #1044987 6th Sep 2024 8:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1