↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > £30k New Hilus has this , why not my £60k Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

£30k New Hilus has this , why not my £60k Defender
A DPF regen warning message and gong is fitted to the new Toyota Hilux pick-up (and probably a load of other Diesel engined Toyotas) so how come Land Rover cannot add one to any of their luxury cars? Might save a lot of DPF issues caused by drivers switching off the engine before the regen has completed causing oil dilution..... and a premature “Service Required” message on the dash.

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #872698 13th Dec 2020 11:58am
DSL

United Kingdom 
It’ll be to save Da Planet. If you saw that you might keep driving for a few miles and let the cycle finish, which obv would mean you’ll cause the end of the polar bears single handedly. Thumbs Up

My Karoq is the same, but only cost £21k. Whistle
Post #872702 13th Dec 2020 12:17pm
J77

Scotland 
I remember looking in my D5 manual and it said a green light should come on after a successful regen, never saw it once.

It’s pretty easy to tell when the cars going through a regen as there’s a nice deep exhaust note.

Last edited by J77 on 13th Dec 2020 12:42pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #872705 13th Dec 2020 12:35pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Toyotas in some market have a DPF regen button on the dash so you can actually choose when it does it. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #872710 13th Dec 2020 12:42pm
JPE

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
That button sounds a really useful feature. The number of times my puma decides to start an active regen just as I'm nearing the end of a journey! Smile
Post #872720 13th Dec 2020 1:31pm
Telemarkskier

United Kingdom 
Yes fully concur with that thought. Perhaps an update to Pivi Pro can be made as I notice in the I guide that it states that the exhaust filter lamp briefly illuminates when a successful filter regeneration process has been carried out. 2020 Defender 110 SE 240D: Fuji White.
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE
2007 Freelander2 HSE (man)
Post #872739 13th Dec 2020 3:57pm
weeman

Attached image is from the manual. I haven't had mine long enough for a DPF burn, would be interested if other owners have seen this light up after a DPF regen.

Click image to enlarge
Post #872802 14th Dec 2020 12:24am
Tim in Scotland

Never seen that light flash Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #872803 14th Dec 2020 12:35am
Logannz

New Zealand 
Our little Hino delivery truck gives you a count down to needing a re-gen, so yo can manually trigger one early if it suits better.
Post #872805 14th Dec 2020 3:03am
Karlowse

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
The new transit custom has this setting it gives you a percentage and you can set it to sit at two and a half thousand to clear the dbf. Even though it’s new when it builds up it chucks out some white smoke.
Post #872810 14th Dec 2020 8:19am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Bluest wrote:
Toyotas in some market have a DPF regen button on the dash so you can actually choose when it does it.

There was something on You Tube a while back about this in Australia. Toyota was having massive problems with the DPF and hence the regen button was added.

More a sticky plaster than a fix.....
Post #872831 14th Dec 2020 11:36am
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Technically..... all the lights, all the notifications, are a failure of the vehicle to manage its DPF successfully so that it's existence is transparent and invisible to the operator.

Thus the reason why luxury manufacturers won't add a lamp unless there's a fault. It should, be entirely invisible to the operator.

Only in certain circumstances like vehicles that idle for extended periods etc, should one technically be needed, and even then, it's perfectly possible to regenerate a DPF at idle as long as it's managed correctly.

So whilst it's helpful for us savvy operators to know its happening so we can "look after it and keep it running long enough for it to finish", that's not the goal of the manufacturer.
Post #872839 14th Dec 2020 12:25pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
markb110 wrote:

There was something on You Tube a while back about this in Australia. Toyota was having massive problems with the DPF and hence the regen button was added.

More a sticky plaster than a fix.....

Yes, big problem for them:

https://www.caradvice.com.au/895387/reveal...r-filters/
Post #872843 14th Dec 2020 12:46pm
Sepp

Germany 
Matt110 wrote:
Technically..... all the lights, all the notifications, are a failure of the vehicle to manage its DPF successfully so that it's existence is transparent and invisible to the operator.

Thus the reason why luxury manufacturers won't add a lamp unless there's a fault. It should, be entirely invisible to the operator.

Only in certain circumstances like vehicles that idle for extended periods etc, should one technically be needed, and even then, it's perfectly possible to regenerate a DPF at idle as long as it's managed correctly.

So whilst it's helpful for us savvy operators to know its happening so we can "look after it and keep it running long enough for it to finish", that's not the goal of the manufacturer.

Fully agree.
A system well set up does not need to have manual activation button nor any information displayed in order to prevent process interrupt.
Post #872866 14th Dec 2020 3:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1