↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender main discussion thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 108 of 351 <123 ... 107108109 ... 349350351>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
RDR wrote:
the leaked 130 silhouette on those presentation slides a few months ago didn't have the rear mounted spare. I would think they will sling it underneath on the 130 as there should be space and it stops the length getting out of hand.

Well remembered. I'd forgotten that detail.

I hope we are not going to get one of those winch arrangements. Rather have it inside under a boot flap if it's not going on the back door.
Post #792675 13th Sep 2019 7:25am
foggydave

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Bonatti Grey
There is a Subaru advert where the dads kid is having a strop as the new Subaru is nothing like he imagined it would be. I now know how he felt. It looks like a Mini on steroids.
The new Defender is a Defender in name only.
When on the road would I acknowledge it as I do with a friendly wave to other Defenders, No! Why? Because I would not be able to differentiate it from the thousands of other SUV's on the road as it has more in common with a Range Rover than it does my Defender.
As soon as JL started morphing the Disco design to look more like a Range Rover it wasnt rocket science to assume that the new Defender would just be an old Discovery with body alterations. I would though have liked some references to the origonal Defender.
The Elephant in the room???? RELIABILITY! Buyers beware! Learn from history. Land Rover + new design + complicated electrical gizmos = big problems.
Post #792686 13th Sep 2019 8:24am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Supacat

foggydave wrote:
The new Defender is a Defender in name only.

Landrover DiNO has a certain ring...especially to some of us fossils out there Wink
Post #792689 13th Sep 2019 8:45am
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
...LR designers have had a reference of what people like very much, in a truck moving around for over 50 years which ultimately become an offroad/utility icon..and all that was not enough, so instead, they 'innovate' something which Kia designers did well before (Kia Soul), and cut of utility market from where actual defender came, and turned it in to yet another faceless piece of hardware, over complicated by not less than 85 ECU's..and they wonder why they are making huge financial losses....just...damn!.. Shocked
Post #792692 13th Sep 2019 8:57am
diduan

Bulgaria 
After my disappointment regarding the design of the new defender is slowly transforing in "I don't care any more" feeling, I would like to ask a question about the off-road capabilities of this SUV. How is the terrain response system better than an old defender with, say, ashcroft diffs front and rear? Despite of the added traction they also upgrade the diff strength. So after all it is traction that matters, and I guess if you can ensure that all 4 wheels rotate simultaneously (for example old defender with lockers front and rear), this should be the maximum traction one is able to get? Or can TR rotate the spare tire as well? Defender 110 SW MY2011 2.4tdci decat, no EGR
Jeep Wrangler YJ 1990 4.0. Front 78' Dana 60, Rear CUCV 14 bolt
Post #792736 13th Sep 2019 10:34am
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Don't know what's worse right now the behaviour of our MP's or Defender owners......

Speaking to the manager of one of the largest dealerships in the country pre-orders are flying in. Fingers crossed they sell enough to help keep the brand alive.
Post #792743 13th Sep 2019 10:59am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
With all due respect to you (and I'm going to say nothing about the behaviour of our MPs) it's subjective opinion. People on a Defender forum are going to feel passionate about...Defenders! But it's just our opinions. I'm not wishing sales to be terrible, or for a big hole to open up in Slovakia, or for JLR to suffer in any way. I THINK they've made a mistake, but it's just what I THINK. It is sales figures which is going to judge the issue, ultimately. Now left.
Post #792745 13th Sep 2019 11:08am
LCJ

Right. Just seen a 90 in the flesh at Goodwood revival. It may well be very capable off-road but it’s so plasticky I cannot possibly see how it’s the toughest Land Rover yet. Fake chequer plate of the bonnet and wing mirrors. Many of the rear panels are plastic and flexy, and plastic wheel arch trim was already falling off after half a day on display! It’s looks and build quality on the outside at least (it was locked so couldnt see the inside properly) certainly seem to fall short of what we’ve been told to expect (and pay for!)
Post #792771 13th Sep 2019 12:39pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Concerning the off road capabilities of the new Defender, I remember being told on my free half day out at the Land Rover experience, the old Defender (this was four and a bit years ago) was the worst performing off road ability of the range, apart than the Evoque.

I can't substantiate that comment.
Post #792774 13th Sep 2019 12:47pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
^^^ I heard something similar on a LR Experience I did several years ago, but it was caveated with the addition of "with a novice off road driver at the wheel". I think the general thinking was that the electronics of the modern vehicles (Disco especially) would allow just about anyone to make decent progress off road. To get the same level of off road ability out of a Defender, the driver would have to know how to control the vehicle to get the best out of it.

That being said, there is little doubt that the electronic systems of the modern LR range (thinking Disco 4 especially) offer pretty amazing off road capability even to those with little experience. Especially given the significant additional weight of the vehicle when compared with a Defender.

Would be interesting to know how the weight of the new Defender compares with Disco 4 / Disco 5 / RRS. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #792777 13th Sep 2019 12:53pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
New Defender Weights (from LR website)
All unladen weights taken from Land Rover website September 2019

New Defender 90: 2,208 kg (including 75kg driver, full fluids & 90% fuel)

New Defender 110: 2,323 kg (5 seats) / 2,380 kg (5+2 seats) (including 75kg driver, full fluids & 90% fuel)

Discovery (5): 2,184 kg (including 75kg driver, full fluids & 90% fuel)

Range Rover Sport: 2,245 kg (including 75kg driver, full fluids & 90% fuel)

So, according to that, the new Defender 90 is actually heavier than a Discovery 5 (just) and just shy of a Range Rover Sport. The new 110 is heavier than both Discovery and RRS by 139 kg and 78kg respectively. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #792781 13th Sep 2019 1:08pm
Tim in Scotland

Just begs the question that when it is heavier than the 2 larger vehicles with the 2.0ltr Ingenium engine have struggled to sell, have poor on road performance and have a poor reliability reputation, especially the TD4 versions, did LR offer the TD4 Ingenium as the main engine for the new Defender? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #792782 13th Sep 2019 1:20pm
Supacat

Rashers wrote:
Concerning the off road capabilities of the new Defender, I remember being told on my free half day out at the Land Rover experience, the old Defender (this was four and a bit years ago) was the worst performing off road ability of the range, apart than the Evoque.

I can't substantiate that comment.

Doesn't really compute with the fact that certain areas of Eastnor were Defender only areas due to the fact it was the only vehicle that could get through without significant risk of body damage...and it wasn't just the width.
Post #792784 13th Sep 2019 1:29pm
Supacat

LCJ wrote:
Right. Just seen a 90 in the flesh at Goodwood revival. It may well be very capable off-road but it’s so plasticky I cannot possibly see how it’s the toughest Land Rover yet. Fake chequer plate of the bonnet and wing mirrors. Many of the rear panels are plastic and flexy, and plastic wheel arch trim was already falling off after half a day on display! It’s looks and build quality on the outside at least (it was locked so couldnt see the inside properly) certainly seem to fall short of what we’ve been told to expect (and pay for!)

Just seen an online review that alluded to certain materials in the interior being a bit plastic and not what you'd expect for a premium vehicle.

Post #792785 13th Sep 2019 1:33pm
NoDo$h

England 
You can say that about a lot of brands. Our current model XC60 has some serious corner-cutting on some of the interior plastics (kick panels, sensor/camera binnacle behind the rear view mirror, boot trim) with materials that wouldn't be out of place in a late 1980s French hatchback. My Merc, also 2019MY, is much better..... but guess which manufacturer is making profits?

Yeah, Volvo.

There need to be some accountant-led decisions to get JLR back in the black. 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #792790 13th Sep 2019 1:55pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 108 of 351 <123 ... 107108109 ... 349350351>