Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender main discussion thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 109 of 351 <123 ... 108109110 ... 349350351>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 
Supacat wrote:
Rashers wrote:
Concerning the off road capabilities of the new Defender, I remember being told on my free half day out at the Land Rover experience, the old Defender (this was four and a bit years ago) was the worst performing off road ability of the range, apart than the Evoque.

I can't substantiate that comment.

Doesn't really compute with the fact that certain areas of Eastnor were Defender only areas due to the fact it was the only vehicle that could get through without significant risk of body damage...and it wasn't just the width.

I can confirm that. I did a couple of days there a little while ago, in a D5 and a Defender. The D5 was very impressive but there were places they wouldn't take it because the bodywork would be trashed, whereas the width and general proportions of the Defender meant it wasn't a problem. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #792791 13th Sep 2019 1:56pm
nosnibod

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Bronze Green
The last time I did a course at Eastnor the instructor got me to pause outside the barns used as workshops. The doors were open and it was full of body parts, wheels, bits of trim all stacked on racking. All of these were damaged parts from vehicles other than Defenders.

Similarly he pointed out that when Defender owners were trying other models like Discoveries the first thing they had to drum into them was ‘be careful of the wheels’. Apparently damaged wheels and tyres was a big problem and Defender owners were not used to such fragility.

When back at the Bothy I asked what tended to break on their Defenders. Between a few of them they could remember breaking one rear half shaft. No one could remember anything else - including any bodywork falling off or getting damaged.

Of course, that was tempting fate and the same afternoon I managed to reverse into a tree stump and put a tiny dent in the rear crossmember of one of their 110s... Dave
Green Goddess - 1998 Defender 110 300tdi
Post #792793 13th Sep 2019 2:11pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
NoDo$h wrote:
You can say that about a lot of brands. Our current model XC60 has some serious corner-cutting on some of the interior plastics (kick panels, sensor/camera binnacle behind the rear view mirror, boot trim) with materials that wouldn't be out of place in a late 1980s French hatchback. My Merc, also 2019MY, is much better..... but guess which manufacturer is making profits?

Yeah, Volvo.

There need to be some accountant-led decisions to get JLR back in the black.

JLR losing £4 million a day should make some minds have a re-think. Will it?

"One of JLR’s mistakes, something that Volvo avoided, was in its product selection. Smaller carmakers should ideally focus on a narrower range of products, targeting its limited resources at the areas it can carve out a niche, such as the luxury higher-end Range Rover models for JLR. Volvo took this approach — launching a limited range of SUVs, station wagons and saloons, and focusing on its hybrid technology. Instead, JLR has diversified, aping the strategy of BMW, the German brand where its chief executive Ralf Speth once worked, trying to have products in every segment of the market. The result is a mishmash, with the three brands often vying for the same customers."

https://www.ft.com/content/6d47592a-2b07-11e9-a5ab-ff8ef2b976c7 Now left.
Post #792796 13th Sep 2019 2:41pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Supacat wrote:
LCJ wrote:
Right. Just seen a 90 in the flesh at Goodwood revival. It may well be very capable off-road but it’s so plasticky I cannot possibly see how it’s the toughest Land Rover yet. Fake chequer plate of the bonnet and wing mirrors. Many of the rear panels are plastic and flexy, and plastic wheel arch trim was already falling off after half a day on display! It’s looks and build quality on the outside at least (it was locked so couldnt see the inside properly) certainly seem to fall short of what we’ve been told to expect (and pay for!)

Just seen an online review that alluded to certain materials in the interior being a bit plastic and not what you'd expect for a premium vehicle.

Not surprising. A year old FFRR was in my local indy to sort a load of gremlins which had beaten the main dealer. Whilst the interior panels were off I got to see under the leather and veneer it was so cheap and badly put together it was laughable.
Post #792797 13th Sep 2019 2:43pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Rashers wrote:
Concerning the off road capabilities of the new Defender, I remember being told on my free half day out at the Land Rover experience, the old Defender (this was four and a bit years ago) was the worst performing off road ability of the range, apart than the Evoque.

I can't substantiate that comment.

Whilst in essence I have no doubt that this is arguably true, I think it should be qualified. I have no doubt that the other vehicles have more technical capability than the Defender, but it removes the skill of the driver from the equation.

Put an incompetent in any LR vehicle and they will achieve least in the Defender. Put a skilled driver in any LR vehicle and I bet that there are few places that they could get to in any that they couldn't get the Defender to.

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that there is vastly more chance of getting home in a Defender after a breakdown in an obscure place than any other model.

(For the avoidance of doubt, when I say "obscure place" I don't mean Lidl's car park, even though to the drivers of most non-Defender LR vehicles this is probably as obscure as it gets!)
Post #792800 13th Sep 2019 3:15pm
Tim in Scotland

One of the problems the monocoque vehicles in the range have is that if you ding one it costs a fortune to repair (been there, needed a complete new tailgate on an Evoque after reversing into a safety barrier...... cost £1800 and was only available ready assembled with all the fittings and extras on it, not as just a panel you could re-use undamaged bits on) nobody got really upset if their old Defender got a bit of bramble rash on it - it was often termed added character, but with the newer cars any sign that they have been used off-road like mud in hidden places or bramble rash is immediately a devaluation point. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #792814 13th Sep 2019 4:03pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Well, I’ve spent today looking over them.

I absolutely love the new Defender. I know it divides opinion but for me, it would look great on my driveway next to my Wolf and D3 or RRS.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #792831 13th Sep 2019 4:56pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #792833 13th Sep 2019 4:59pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Report out today reveals that 92% of new car buys are on finance Shocked So do people think 'That Defender won't cost me £50,000, it'll cost me £xxx a month'? I'm stunned. I've had a few cars on lease, but bought the current three. But I had no idea that actually buying a car with money had virtually died out! I had to read the article twice as I couldn't believe it. I suppose some Defender-buyers are not put off the actual buy-price when they are thinking of their monthly budget. Now left.
Post #792845 13th Sep 2019 6:00pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
The problem with leasing/pcp in this context is it will prevent the vehicle being used for its intended purpose, because every scratch, ding and mark will come back to bite you on the wallet come hand back time.

I think I like it as a modern all terrain vehicle. It's a different proposition to our old machines, but that was always going to be the case. The only thing that offends me is the fake chequer plate pattern. If they were going to put it on, it should be functional, or leave it off. Artificial fashion jewelry is the antithesis of the defenders DNA.

I'm sort of hoping they suffer tragic depreciation so I can get a used one in three years time. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #792855 13th Sep 2019 6:26pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
nosnibod wrote:

Of course, that was tempting fate and the same afternoon I managed to reverse into a tree stump and put a tiny dent in the rear crossmember of one of their 110s...

Some people just can’t be trusted... Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #792864 13th Sep 2019 6:50pm
nosnibod

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Bronze Green
That tiny dent got a ‘meh’ from the instructor but I insisted that I got out and checked - it was a right good thump. I hate to think what it would have done to a plastic ‘bumper’...

And that, I think, is just an indicator of the difference between a Classic Defender (is that what we’ll call them now?) and more plastic modern offerings.

Anyway, I got three enthusiastic waves from fellow Defender drivers on the way home. I wonder if it will be the same for the new ones? Not that I’m at all sure that I’ll spot it’s a new Defender before it’s too late. Dave
Green Goddess - 1998 Defender 110 300tdi
Post #792868 13th Sep 2019 7:07pm
spudfan

Ireland 
RRUK wrote...Well, I’ve spent today looking over them.

I absolutely love the new Defender. I know it divides opinion but for me, it would look great on my driveway next to my Wolf and D3 or RRS.
Does that mean that it will sit in the driveway and not be driven? If you are brave enough to buy one......Go on take it out occasionally. It is supposed to have very good lights so you could use it at night. Rolling with laughter 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #792875 13th Sep 2019 7:42pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
If I had one, it would get used off road. Not dunking it in a quarry or winch challenges but to go shooting in. They got a bit of abuse on horrible wet muddy days full of people, kit and dogs.

I want to drive one now and see what it feels like on the road. 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #792879 13th Sep 2019 7:46pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Thumbs Up 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #792883 13th Sep 2019 8:01pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top