Home > Maintenance & Modifications > CB aerial cable
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Greyman110

United Kingdom 
CB aerial cable
Happy new year all!

I have a 2009 puma and I'm going to fit a small CB on the shelf under the steering wheel (after seeing Cupboards setup). I'll take power from the lighter but what will I have to do to run the aerial cable from the shelf, behind the dash and up the pillar?

I'm planning to mount the aerial above the drivers door on the roof rack as it will be protected by the raised part of the rack.
Post #674952 1st Jan 2018 3:43pm
300TDi CSW Phil

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
I don't have a puma and therefore cannot comment on the cable route through the dashboard etc.

However, I would be wary of mounting the antenna on the roof rack with the luggage retaining rail above its base. You generally want an antenna up and away but mounted on the metalwork of the vehicle.

Depending on your antenna this may put the loading coil level with the luggage rail but either way you will end up with an unwanted interaction between the metal of the roof rack and radiating radio waves which will affect the tunning of the antenna. 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
Wide Track Sankey- In bits- Gone to a new home
M0XQS
Post #674965 1st Jan 2018 4:41pm
Greyman110

United Kingdom 
That was something that did cross my mind.

I have a small springer and I'll be using an artificial ground plane. I also have a mag mount but don't want to mount on the bonnet as l'd probably end up looking at it as I drive Confused

I could mount at the rear of the rack but driving a rather tight lane the other day, I was thinking it could get caught and ripped off.
Post #674971 1st Jan 2018 4:55pm
300TDi CSW Phil

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
If you have a small springer they are pretty tough, very bendy and not too expensive. I would mount it on a roof rack clamp in the middle at the front.

If you have a round tube roof rack (big assumption I know) and you do it up tight enough to not spin round the tube freely it should still rotate if knocked by something substantial enough. This will make it easier to tune in and give you better range.

My amateur radio antenna is mounted on the side and the other day I folded it back when the trees got a bit low (read sweeping my roofrack clean). The CB antenna (admitedly wing mounted and a pig to get tuned when I did it) sticks a couple of feet up above the roof rack and I just left it there getting twanged by the trees no problems caused and that is a Sirio HiPower something or the other. 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
Wide Track Sankey- In bits- Gone to a new home
M0XQS
Post #674973 1st Jan 2018 4:59pm
Greyman110

United Kingdom 
I'll have a look at some different placements and see what comes up the best when tuning.

Good idea about tightening Thumbs Up

All i have to do now is sort the cabling Confused
Post #674989 1st Jan 2018 6:26pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
I ran the cable through the dash (it's a bit of a fiddle but doable), then up the pillar behind the trim piece and in to the headlining. Where you go from there is up to you Smile
Post #675573 3rd Jan 2018 11:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1