↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 2nd Row Door Lock Button Height
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
2nd Row Door Lock Button Height
Just a quick query, both rear lock buttons (top of door cards inside) are too low. When the door is unlocked they only sit halfway up in the escutchion whereas the front ones sit level with the top when unlocked.

Its not really an issue as they both work fine and are both the same, i just find it annoying.

Do everyones sit like this or is it just mine?

Cheers 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
Post #675235 2nd Jan 2018 9:23pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hi Steve. Ok so you can adjust the plunger height by taking the door card off and unscrewing the rod that connects to the plunger a little. This will raise the plunger in relation to lock mechanism.

The problem however is the reason for the plungers are not rising high enough. On mine it was that the door locking mechanism was slightly gummed up with old grease. It is just enough to prevent the mechanism from moving freely. The solutions are either to replace the door locks or to clean out the locks with brake cleaner, then use a light oil to regrease.

The key (Oooo unintentional pun) component to work on is the catch that rotates around the striker. Depress the outside door button and using a screwdriver work the catch back and forward and keep spraying the brake cleaner in to the lock periodically. It will not take long for the catch to move more freely. This may solve your plunger height issue and at the same time make your catch latching a little smoother as well. Light oil is the key do not use white grease it thickens to a paste.

Or you could replace both the locks which is a pain in the ass...
Post #675265 2nd Jan 2018 10:36pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Cheers for the info, have taken the door cards off today. Sadly there is no adjustment on any of the rods which operate the locking mechanism.

I have cleaned up and relubricated the lock mechanism which now works beytter. The buttons still both come up the same amount. I dont think the lever on the door latch comes up any further. I think i will lengthen one of tge rods to raise the lock button up a little.

Cheers
Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
Post #675548 3rd Jan 2018 10:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1