↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > TD5 seems a bit underpowered
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Nick666

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 90 2.5 n/a Diesel SW Yellow
TD5 seems a bit underpowered
OK, a bit flummoxed - in a nutshell, my Td5 seems a bit underpowered when I compare it to the TD5 110 hardtop I used to have - may have something to do with the (probably) quite heavy workshop rear fitted to it, but it seems to not really enjoy accelerating beyond c. 60 mph and definitely won't do so going up any visible incline, where I remember my previous landy not having any problem whatsoever pulling to the maximum legal limit regardless of the climb, and with no suggestion it wouldn't happily pull to 90+ if so desired (not that I ever did so or would advocate it, milord!).

Oddly, the revs just don't climb, feels like it just can't be bothered (!), although it'll rev quite freely when stationary.

Here's what I've done so far:

- disconnected the snorkel, although doesn't seem to have been pulling air through that too hard as still the odd cobweb in there!
- tweaked back the turbo actuator a tad as previous owner (or +1) had tried tightening it right up so that the ECU was cutting power esp under load - that was stopping it even trying to accelerate past 55 - this has helped some
- all new fluids and filters (not that I'd expect this to make a difference in performance in this way)

Am I being unreasonable in expecting it to have more oomph? And if not, any ideas what the next steps might be?

Click image to enlarge
Post #538402 8th Jun 2016 1:15am
gazman

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Alpine White
check the fuel pressure, when my pump and fpr were tired mine was as slow as ****

what transfer box does it have? is it on a 1.2 2014 - current ..... 2003 defender td5 90 (my car)
2009 - current .... 2005 zx10r
Post #538404 8th Jun 2016 2:16am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Unplug the maf and see if the power is back, also check for oil in the red ecu plug. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #538546 8th Jun 2016 4:01pm
smurf500

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Belize Green
maf or injector harness
Post #538553 8th Jun 2016 4:21pm
Nick666

Sorry wasn't thinking straight (it was rather late last night) when I was making the list of 'have-dones':

Yes, the MAF was the first thing I tried, that's been replaced (and I tried unplugging first) with a new genuine part, performance is definitely a bit better but not a massive difference.

I've also unplugged and cleaned (although they didn't look bad at all) the MAP and AAP sensors, to little noticeable difference.
Post #538638 8th Jun 2016 8:37pm
Nick666

Will definitely try the harness though, the previous owner said they'd replaced the injector harness, but I do seem to recall reading somewhere that the replacement ones weren't foolproof, just better. Will have a look at that one when I get home again.

The fuel pump is one I hadn't considered - I'm just looking up how to investigate / fix that now ... Is there an easy 'user-level' way of testing it, ie without swapping out for a new (or 'known good') one or buying any special tools?

Re the transfer box, I guess I'll have to check, now that I'm actually think about it, it's not pulling very well even in 3rd gear compared to my previous one, have had to change down to 2nd on a moderate slope at 30 at least once.

Maybe I'll have to put a video on youtube!
Post #538661 8th Jun 2016 9:04pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
A TD5 in standard tune should feel fairly lively and should accelerate uphill in the higher gears as long as the RPM is above about 1500 (about 25 mph in fourth and just over 30mph in fifth). Top speed on the flat and where legal should be about 90mph (indicated)

There was a long discussion on one of the forums about messing with the length of the turbo wastegate actuator. The operation of the unit is fairly complex and not like the old turbo engines where you could wind up the actuator rod and get more boost.....best to leave it alone unless the engine is being properly tuned on a dyno and with ECU modifications/remapping.

I tried adjusting mine anyway! Got to nine threads showing and there was no noticeable difference. However when at 13 threads it was a fair bit slower.

As standard there should be twelve threads showing on the turbo wastegate actuator rod.

If you have any more showing (such as 13 or 14) power will be down.

If you have less than about 9 threads showing the ECU may cut the power when you floor it.

So like l said, count 'em. 12 and if you can't decide if it's 12 or 13 (depends if you count the peaks or valleys) reduce it one turn to make it 11/12.
Post #538809 9th Jun 2016 12:14pm
Nick666

Yup, that was last weekend's job - I think I erred on the side of safety so it's probably 12/13 rather than 11/12 - still feels like the engine is about half the size it is. The revs just don't climb at all. I'll wind it up one again but really don't think that's the root cause anyway.
Post #539092 10th Jun 2016 1:27pm
Nick666

On the injector loom - I was under the impression that symptoms of this were coughing rather than gutlessness? Will be checking anyway, but...

Wondering whether I don't need to check the exhaust manifold gasket or similar - would that cause this?
Post #539096 10th Jun 2016 1:30pm
gazman

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Alpine White
are any brakes dragging? I've over adjusted the handbrake on mine and that didn't half drag but you feel it always slowing 2014 - current ..... 2003 defender td5 90 (my car)
2009 - current .... 2005 zx10r
Post #539124 10th Jun 2016 2:37pm
Nick666

Good thought! I don't think they are, because it doesn't slow rapidly when the clutch is in on a flat bit, which I'd have expected it to do if they were stuck hard enough to stop it pulling up hills! Plus it's had new pads and discs all round so should be well clear. It's also got a (far too loose) X-Eng disc handbrake which I need to get around to adjusting but as I say that's loose rather than too tight, so it's not likely to be that either!
Post #539134 10th Jun 2016 3:13pm
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 V8 Petrol SW Corris Grey
If your exhaust manifold is bannana shaped which is a common issue you will see black soot around pot 1 and 5 (front and back) The best way to see is to remove the turbo heat shield, if it is blowing past that will reduce turbo turbine speed and boost will be reduced, deff' worth checking Thumbs Up Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2760
www.advancedfactors.co.uk
Site Sponsor for Aftermarket Parts
Post #539137 10th Jun 2016 3:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nick666

So I've had a look, and sprayed some detergent mix on the exhaust manifold gasket area - as expected, it is bubbling a bit from the bulkhead end of it, so clearly leaking a bit. Obviously I'm not the first to have found this, as some numpty has put not one but two gaskets in (yes, clearly that would fix it!).

Anyway, have ordered a new manifold and gaskets etc. Have also ordered (as I saw on here and a couple other places) the Wurth Mercedes studs which are supposed to be a good replacement, they don't come with spacers though so I'll have to wait til everything's fitted to figure out how long a set of spacers would be good. Good old ebay Smile

So that's one more thing, but the gap isn't massive, just wondering if that'd really make as much difference as I'm finding? Genuinely feels like I'm maybe 40hp down on what it should be right now. Can't imagine what it must be like for people whose manifolds are genuinely banana shaped!!
Post #539223 10th Jun 2016 8:31pm
Nick666

(Just unplugged the ECU - clean as a whistle thankfully!)
Post #539238 10th Jun 2016 9:09pm
pj2106

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Check the fuel pressure regulator on the back of the engine these will definitely cause the under power issue had Thomson my old td5 once done made a huge difference 2008 110 2.4 XS Utility (Hagrid)
2002 90 TD5 Hardtop (Sully) Sold
1998 300TDi D1 (Billy) Sold
Post #539282 10th Jun 2016 11:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>