↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > MY15 110 SW Indus Silver - The adventures of R2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
jk84

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Ant, I see that you've managed to get the Startech wheel fitted - on another thread I saw a comment that it's not compatible with 2015 models. Do you know if your dealer had to do any mods or did it go on without any issues?
Post #431280 16th Jun 2015 10:48am
GypsySamuraiAnt

Australia 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Will do Pete Thumbs Up on their way!

jk as long as you order the 2015 steering wheel you'll have no issues at all my friend Very Happy it truly is a lovely bit of kit!!

A bit slow going for me as it's been raining here, but the under body, hood and firewall sound proofing and ceramic coat by Lizard Skin have worked a treat. There's a small patch that needs a touch up but other than that it's a very noticeable reduction of noise and vibration at highway speeds. Unfortunately the sound shield foam I bought won't stick to it so that's going up for sale.

I'll post some pics when it stops raining Smile

Cheers
Post #431286 16th Jun 2015 11:20am
jk84

Thanks mate! Looking to fit a removable steering wheel so need to replace the OEM wheel for sth smaller and Startech is definitely the favourite...although a bit pricey!
Post #431288 16th Jun 2015 11:33am
YOLO110

Australia 
GypsySamuraiAnt wrote:

A bit slow going for me as it's been raining here, but the under body, hood and firewall sound proofing and ceramic coat by Lizard Skin have worked a treat. There's a small patch that needs a touch up but other than that it's a very noticeable reduction of noise and vibration at highway speeds...

Cheers

Hey Ant,

You have been busy! I would love to hear (lol) more about the soundproofing please! That is something that I would like to attend to on my 110... SWMBO says it's her biggest criticism of the truck so if I can help reduce noise that would be great!

Raining here too! Smile YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #431296 16th Jun 2015 11:53am
GypsySamuraiAnt

Can you say that again a little louder please Pete? Rolling with laughter you can but the stuff and the application gun from these guys

http://www.cwcomponents.com.au/lizard-skin-insulation/ Smile

Plus forgot these bad boys went on too Whistle

jk you won't be disappointed bud but yes not cheap!

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #431303 16th Jun 2015 12:10pm
YOLO110

Australia 
Did you have as much 'fun' installing the passenger side vent as I did!!! Ran out of hands!!

Looking good... actually the photos could have been taken in my garage! Very Happy

Thanks for the link... have you also been doing the soundproofing yourself?

Cheers, Pete YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #431308 16th Jun 2015 12:32pm
GypsySamuraiAnt

Na Pete, only doing the dynamat in the interior myself. My serious modding days are over Censored

And tonight was a reminder...... tried to get the ebay ladder on and in a word its crap! Won't sit in the roof gutter well enough to take the weight of someone due to the folder design at the top not sitting flush to take the weight. Then the bolts that attach the body to the rear cross members holes were out of alignment after pulling them out so almost threaded them trying to get them back in so had to get the highlift out Banging Head

Anyway does anyone know where I can get a Safety Device ladder at a reasonable price?

Cheers
Post #431582 17th Jun 2015 10:51am
GypsySamuraiAnt

Pete sorry forgot to ask what the issue was with the passenger side vent mate?? Here was my issue so I'm wondering if you had the same

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Actually rust is abundant under the truck also which is very disappointing for a brand new vehicle, however I'm in the process of having things sorted with the dealership so fingers crossed it will all be taken care of soon.

Anyway to the good stuff. Here is what the soundproofing and ceramic looks like

Click image to enlarge

And got the Raptor glove box in today. Easy job and works well. Just a touch proud now due to the hinges but nothing to worry about and is super solid Thumbs Up

Going to paint the dirt defenders to match the fenders and have some other goodies on the way........ stay tuned :wink:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #432299 20th Jun 2015 8:05am
jk84

Ah, very nice - the glove box. That's a handy piece of kit!

I am horrified by the rust under the side vent though Shocked I will be installing new side vent soon and I do hope it's not something I will find underneath Exclamation MY15 Aintree 110 SW - for sale - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic82781.html
MY16 Santorini 90 HT - sold
Post #433208 24th Jun 2015 12:55am
GypsySamuraiAnt

Hey kj, yes the fiance sure does appreciate the extra storage Thumbs Up

I'm in the process of sorting out the rust with the dealership so I'll report back about that soon.

Anyway these arrived along with the KBX side vent to complete the vent package

Just waiting on the wiring harnesses for the DRL angle eye surrounds to plug into the indicator wiring for power.

And after much deliberation and thought after seeing the LED's in the flesh I have finally named the Defender......

Yes I was born in the 70's and hereby name it R2-D2 8)

Post #434166 28th Jun 2015 6:38am
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
Very Nice
Hadnt seen sound gear by lizard skins, how do you find it? I use a lot of there bits on my bikes if its the same company and always found it good so would imagine its a good product.

Defender looks great to, get some pics up of it out and about. We dont mind about you showing off the weather Thumbs Up
Post #434172 28th Jun 2015 7:29am
GypsySamuraiAnt

Thanks very much Tom Mr. Green

I find the Lizard stuff very effective as I'm sure you have also by the sounds of things with your bikes, and I highly recommend it. I plan on coupling that with some dynamat soon which I hope will really do the trick.

Will have some nice pics soon as the finance and I have booked a little get away weekend in a couple of weeks time. Can't wait for R2's first shake down Thumbs Up

Cheers.
Post #434178 28th Jun 2015 8:04am
GypsySamuraiAnt

So the first attempt at using R2 for some back to nature camping action turned into a bit of a disaster Neutral

R2 was brilliant throughout the ordeal however the location and weather was something else entirely. We booked a night up at Binna Burra in the Lamington National park about an hour and a half from Brisbane thinking we'd be surrounded by nature on top of a beautiful mountain landscape in the middle of winter in front of a roaring fire for the night. Instead we were confronted with this

Click image to enlarge

So bins from the adjacent tourist restaurant to the left and a mobile phone signal tower so tall that it wouldn't fully fit into view to the front, all upon a lovely gravel car park Razz Should have seen the look on Nat's face after waiting 8 months for this after ordering R2 lol! I did get a little smile out of her when I drew similarity to Sauron from the never ending cancer causing eyesore that was the mobile tower

So after a quick meal we decided to hit an old favorite camp site of ours about 45 minutes away which would only give us about an hour more light to get set up and a get fire going for the night. Needless to say that thought was easier said than done.

Without going into too much boring detail here are the highlights from that moment;

1. The GPS got us lost and took an hour longer than planned.
2. When we finally arrived at that precise moment the Heavens opened up meaning no camp fire for QLD's coldest winter in decades. It was actually snowing on the QLD NSW boarder for the first time in my life.
3. Then we were treated to gale fore winds all night and the next day that felt like RD was going to tip right over on top of us. Fun first adventure Big Cry

All in all we lived and R2 was awesome up the mountain bends to my surprise! It's handling was awesome maybe due to the sports steering wheel and the new factory sway bars. No photos of the second camp site for obvious reasons.

And on the bright side these finally arrived from Mud UK allowing me to give upgraded eyes to R2 this weekend Mr. Green

They made a sinche of the DRL angel eye install and I hate doing any electrical work on cars Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

And the main beams are a great improvement

Click image to enlarge

Stay tuned, more to come. Thanks for following,

Ant.

Post #438863 19th Jul 2015 10:21am
YOLO110

Australia 
Hey Ant!

Sorry, just picked up on the latest!

That's NUTS about the rust in your vents! No, my issue was getting my arm behind the vent to get the nut on the bolt on the rear wingtop fitting... no I stupidly did not use rivnuts!!!

Love the headlights with the DRL's! Mine are the JW Speaker 2 variations... but without the DRL. I will be fitting those separately in my bumper!

Interesting weekend camping for you!!! Razz

Truck looks great mate! So, what next then! Very Happy YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #438890 19th Jul 2015 12:25pm
BuckBlu110

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel CSW Buckingham Blue
Got those led headlights on the misuses 90, they really are cracking lights for the price, think they're made by Ether but with osram innards. In my opinion they are as good as the jw speaker evo's that I've got on my 110 and a tad brighter than the trucklites on our double cab, particularly with hight beam which has an immense reach on it!! Top lights Thumbs Up
I've taken photos of the beam pattern comparing these three lights but havnt got round to postng them up yet, I'll get round to it one day Rolling Eyes
Truck is looking great too, love the wolf rims! Smile
Post #438901 19th Jul 2015 1:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 9 <123456789>