↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > MY15 110 SW Indus Silver - The adventures of R2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
YOLO110

Australia 
Got it now!!!

I hav noticed a big difference in less noise with the rear load area done... does this in the front quieten things down even more mate?

Nice job btw... the silver matches the Indus too! Thumbs Up YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #474879 21st Nov 2015 4:46pm
GypsySamuraiAnt

Australia 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
I think the drone and general cabin noise and vibration was reduced by the Lizard Skin early on mate. It covered the entire underbody and rear tubs pretty thick. So with all that reduced I can hear different things that are more pronounced in the front than before. And the Resomate has really helped that Pete.

I finished a bit more today. The upper angled bulkhead section on the passenger side

Plus was really surprised by what material the transmission tunnel was made out of in the new models

Click image to enlarge

Thin hard plastic like cover and soft polystyrene layer underneath. I can see why there's a lot of noise and heat transfer into the cabin but probably less than the older models. Anyway all sorted now

Click image to enlarge

The drivers side bulkhead sections will have to wait as I have a enough of soundproofing for a while and my fingers are begging me for some time to heal Embarassed

So far I've managed to do the rear foot well plus inside both the front seat boxes. Inside the Ex-Box. Full passenger side foot well, bulkhead & trans tunnel. Drivers side foot well & trans tunnel. Not looking forward to tackling the drivers side bulkhead on account of the handbrake, pedals and bonnet release etc which makes getting the factory vinyl a biatch to get out.

Went for a drive and here are the findings;

No air con on or radio: 0 - 60kph going up the gears to 5th - Very quiet with next to no road, wind, tyre noise or vibration, just the revs from the engine and some drive train noise. Cruising at 60 kph in 5th is very, very quiet with minimal engine and drive train noise.

Cruising at 100 - 110kph - I think the wind noise is the most pronounced sound now. I can't quite figure out where its coming from, its either from hitting the almost completely upright windscreen Whistle or the FR roof rack . The roof rack has a wind deflector so it may be the windscreen.

The second most pronounced sounds are the tyre and drive train noises. Not much I can do about the wind and tyre noise, but the drive train maybe a bit less engine noise when revving up the gears can be reduced when I finish the drivers side bulkhead sections.

All in all very happy with the results so far but still have a lot more to finish like the roof and cargo area in addition to the bulkhead Confused

But I'm sure its all worth the effort Thumbs Up Mr. Green

Cheers,
Ant

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #475047 22nd Nov 2015 5:57am
YOLO110

Australia 
GREAT write up Ant! Definitely worth doing! Thumbs Up

Have you also done the roof mate?

Time to open my second box of Dynamat now! Cool YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #475053 22nd Nov 2015 8:35am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Really interesting - you usesd dynamat didnt you?

Quote:
the FR roof rack .

That will be my bet Mike
Post #475094 22nd Nov 2015 11:37am
andyc

United Kingdom 
Great read - thanks!
Post #475210 22nd Nov 2015 6:49pm
GypsySamuraiAnt

@ Pete, thanks mate! Been putting off the roof because from all accounts it's a PITA Neutral Have you got any shots of what you've done to the rear mate?

@ mse, thanks - do you think the deflector is causing more noise than it's preventing mate?

@ Andy, thanks mate Thumbs Up Mr. Green

R2's adventure time dress rehearsal

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #475250 22nd Nov 2015 9:04pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Gypsy,...Wow, that third image of your sounproofing over the transmission tunnel is probably the most "thorough" application of soundproofing in that area that I've seen. "Meticulous" would be the word I believe.
Great work, Pickles.
Post #475269 22nd Nov 2015 10:01pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Thumbs Up
Post #475277 22nd Nov 2015 10:26pm
GypsySamuraiAnt

Thanks Pickles, certainly a process that can't be hurried Mr. Green kinda looks like something you'd find on the international space station I think.

Thanks for the thumbs up JOW Thumbs Up

Ok one for the fluid dynamic experts in the crowd, here is a pic of the Front Runner wind defector in the front center of the roof rack

When I have seen these on other vehicles there wasn't much of a gap between the vehicle's roof line and the rack. I imagine if there wasn't a deflector present in that instance there would be a noticeable whistling or whooshing sound. I think I remember reading that on a Jeep JK Wrangler forum actually.

So I'm wondering if because there is a sizable gap between the front of the defenders roof line and the rack, whether the deflectors aren't quite as beneficial? The sound I hear are the moment at highway speeds is more of a battering sound rather that a whistle. Hence why I thought maybe it was wind hitting the windscreen.

All thoughts welcome and yes I will do some testing myself without the deflector when I have time Very Happy

Cheers,
Ant.

Post #475356 23rd Nov 2015 10:39am
GypsySamuraiAnt

Ok did the wind deflector experiment this morning and unfortunately with them there is now a loud whistle from about 60kph that gets worse the faster the go Shocked

Looking at alternatives and fount a flat option that I hope will reduce the old issue of turbulent battering wind noise at 100kph

http://www.expeditioncentre.com.au/online-...racks.html

Anyone had any experience or comments about this design option?

Thanks Thumbs Up
Post #476909 28th Nov 2015 4:03am
GypsySamuraiAnt

Small update with mixed emotions Confused I emailed Front Runner about the rack noise and after sending some pictures I got a reply saying the dealership that installed the rack stuffed it up and popped the feet on the wrong slat which was causing the turbulent noise at speed.

Before

Click image to enlarge

Hours later Neutral

Click image to enlarge

And the aftermath I'll be taking up with the dealership

Unfortunately the rear feet were also on the wrong slat

But here is where my long day got longer. On trying to move the very last foot the channel that the bolts travel along didn't seem to have enough clearance and jammed no matter what I tried - vice grips, screwdriver and a hammer, starting from the other end etc.

Anyway one side still looks like this while I wait to hear back from Front Runner about a warranty claim for the faulty slat while one is the way it should have been from the start.

And to top it off my Bearmach tree sliders from the UK arrived damaged and rusted on all ends Big Cry

Anyway the show must go on :mrgreen:

Post #481702 13th Dec 2015 10:38am
L110CDL

England 
hope it all works out in the end for you.
Post #481890 13th Dec 2015 9:36pm
YOLO110

Australia 
Hay Ant,

Thats a bummer about the rack mate... hope you get it sorted... Shocked That paint damage to the roof rail is no good. Big Cry

The rock sliders... they needed more protection over the ends obviously... my Wolf wheels also arrived from the UK with paint damage due to poor packaging.

Guess it's a phone call to the suppliers... a gesture of 'goodwill' from them would seem fair. Then a re-finish and touch up with some black POR 15 and you will have a better protected rock slider than new! YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #481943 14th Dec 2015 3:50am
GypsySamuraiAnt

Thanks Pete and L110CDL, and sorry for the very late reply. I've just arrived back from a fantastic holiday in Canada, and I'm keen to push on now with the R2 project.

I have had even more bad luck unfortunately with either missing or defective newly ordered accessories. However I must applaud two UK vendors who have been very supportive and professional whilst we sort through the set backs.

In confidence I can recommend doing business with Ben from Flatdog and James from the LR Centre. All issues not their fault and they could have easily turned their back on me, however the service I received has been exceptional. Thanks Gents Thumbs Up

So we were lucky enough to get some more camping in after Christmas in Byron Bay again but at a different park this time. Once again luck was not on my side with sunshine being abundant on the day of arrival and the day of departure with five days in between heavy rain and wind Crying or Very sad

After thinking a second awning was a great solution for extended camping trips, I now have had to reconsider altogether. The never ending heavy rain provided multiple problems such as getting wet every time we got something from the fridge inside the back of R2 or if we went to seek dry shelter in the room tent when the rain and wind really picked up. Water somehow also leaked through the middle of the room tent when the heavy rain caused the middle of the awning canvass to touch the top of the tent. And because the room tents walls were so thin it sounded like we were in a wind tunnel all night even though it was tightly pegged down at all points. I even wore ear plugs to try to get a decent sleep but no luck with that either. And last realisation was we couldn't just go for a drive into town for something to do because everything was set up and attached to R2 Big Cry

So I managed to sell both awnings, room tent and other ARB accessories for very close to what they cost me. Those funds have gone into a great solution from Oztent which I'll share after our next getaway.

In the mean time the fun stuff continues. I was so happy with the angel eye LED headlamps, I decided to go all out with more LED's. These are WIPAC offerings and wanted to see if the old school orange front indicator lamps looked any good. I was not sure if that was a good call but after another change to R2's appearance I love them.

Came across a small issue for the tail lamp and reversing lamp. WIPAC unlike their smaller plug and play indicator, stop and driving lamps, they didn't include connecting plugs, just bare wires.

Click image to enlarge

So I found an ebay seller and some new plugs are on the way.

And the appearance change I mentioned was colour coded Indus Silver front grille and headlamp surrounds Mr. Green

The orange indicator lamps didn't grow on me until I moved them to the top. Here's a shot to show both the contrast of the Brunel surrounds and the indicator lamp position swap.

And I'm over the moon with the finished product Mr. Green

Click image to enlarge

And continuing with the interior sound proofing project

And last but not least for this update I invested in some Mantec window and quarter panel guards

While all the rear trim is out I might do the roof in the super lite Dynamat I purchased ages ago. I should have another unrelated small update tomorrow :wink:

Post #506333 20th Feb 2016 6:55am
L110CDL

England 
Thats ok Ant, glad you had a good holiday and sorted out all your problems, like what you done so far, look forward to the up dates to follow Thumbs Up

Cheers

Clayton.
Post #506548 20th Feb 2016 11:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 9 <123456789>