Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Soupy

United Kingdom 
Ford Parts
Hello,

My first post on here so hi everyone!

I have a 2007 defender that has injector, turbo and sensor 'issues'. Having priced up LR parts Shocked I was wandering if Ford parts would fit?

I cant seem to get a firm answer from anywhere.

Many thanks.
Post #376655 5th Dec 2014 5:47pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Hi

The Puma engine was taken from the Transit, so many parts are interchangeable between LR\Ford.

Ive brought a few parts from Ford as they dont carry the hefty price tag as LR dealerships!

But some parts can be cheaper from Land Rover? it always pays to have a ring round first.

Ian 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #376671 5th Dec 2014 7:14pm
Soupy

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the reply.

I'm looking at injectors at the moment. They appear to be 1/2 the price for a tranny. £200+ from LR £110 for Ford.

Also I've bought a sensor hoping to solve a turbo overboost problem. It appears now that the actuator is stuck. I've seen mondeo tdci and transit actuators with the same numbers on for £40. LR have quoted about £1k for a new turbo as the actuator isn't sold separately.

Do you think those would work?
Post #376733 6th Dec 2014 8:22am
AWOL

At £40 vs £1k I'd be buying one and comparing!

The potential saving has to be worth the hassle of maybe taking the 40 quid one back.
Post #376737 6th Dec 2014 9:14am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Speak to Pete from Bell Auto Services or Gary from Alive about your turbo actuator issue. They both are sponsors on this site and veritable oracles when it comes to turbos and they may well be able to assist advise. Both have advised and assisted me in the past despite having no obligation to do so......

Thumbs Up

http://bellautoservices.co.uk/

http://alivetuning.com/ If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!

Last edited by K9F on 6th Dec 2014 9:29am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #376740 6th Dec 2014 9:26am
Soupy

United Kingdom 
I don't even know if the actuator is broken. All I know is I get an overboost fault code and lose power.

I've replaced all the pipes, sensors, removed inspected and refitted the turbo and intercooler, replaced the plug for the actuator, next stop according to LR is replace the turbo.
Post #376741 6th Dec 2014 9:29am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
See my post above....Your next stage is call Pete or Gary by my reckoning.... it'll cost you nowt and may save you a packet perhaps?

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #376742 6th Dec 2014 9:31am
Soupy

United Kingdom 
Sorry, didn't see your earlier post.

I will do that. Thanks.
Post #376745 6th Dec 2014 9:46am
HardCharger

Philippines 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Sorry for temporarily jacking the thread but are the A/C bits Ford as well? I need just the cooling coil inside the cabin and no one I know thus far has a photo or a working part number for that matter.

Can anyone help? I may need a new one as the current one is suspected of leaking refrigerant so I have to top up every other month or so.

Thanks!
Post #377496 9th Dec 2014 7:19am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I would say that the chances of it being a Ford part are somewhere south of zero! The Puma heater is a Landrover specific design (which I imagine is why it is so unsatisfactory in a number of respects), and the AC evaporator (cooler) sits inside the heater box.

Removing the heater box from the vehicle is not a trivial undertaking, although not technically difficult, since the dash has to be removed completely.

The evaporator core does not appear to be available seperately from the heater box.

There is a series of relevant photos on the Facebook page of "Motorsportloralamia", link:-

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=38...mp;theater

At some stage when I get time I will be removing my heater box to fit a modified one to address one of the features I don't like about the standard system - I like to have the ability to have unheated air at face level irrespective of the heater settings, so I have modified a spare heater box unit to allow this. I just need to fit it!

Last edited by blackwolf on 9th Dec 2014 11:49am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #377516 9th Dec 2014 10:51am
zone30

Belgium 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 X-Tech LE Nara Bronze
Why not make this topic a database for lr-parts and their alternative ford-parts?
Post #377518 9th Dec 2014 10:57am
munch90

England 
HardCharger wrote:
Sorry for temporarily jacking the thread but are the A/C bits Ford as well? I need just the cooling coil inside the cabin and no one I know thus far has a photo or a working part number for that matter.

Can anyone help? I may need a new one as the current one is suspected of leaking refrigerant so I have to top up every other month or so.

Thanks!

have you had the evaporator checked properly inside the car with a dye and uv lamp or gas sniffer should be tested using ofn (oxygen free nitrogen)

if it is leaking i dont think i would be wanting to breathe the gas in daily

i would not be getting it regased until you get it tested
Post #377654 9th Dec 2014 9:30pm
Soupy

United Kingdom 
zone30 wrote:
Why not make this topic a database for lr-parts and their alternative ford-parts?

I like this a lot.
Post #377751 10th Dec 2014 7:14am
HardCharger

Philippines 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
blackwolf wrote:
I would say that the chances of it being a Ford part are somewhere south of zero! The Puma heater is a Landrover specific design (which I imagine is why it is so unsatisfactory in a number of respects), and the AC evaporator (cooler) sits inside the heater box.

Removing the heater box from the vehicle is not a trivial undertaking, although not technically difficult, since the dash has to be removed completely.

The evaporator core does not appear to be available seperately from the heater box.

There is a series of relevant photos on the Facebook page of "Motorsportloralamia", link:-

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=38...mp;theater

At some stage when I get time I will be removing my heater box to fit a modified one to address one of the features I don't like about the standard system - I like to have the ability to have unheated air at face level irrespective of the heater settings, so I have modified a spare heater box unit to allow this. I just need to fit it!

Hi blackwolf!

Thanks for the link, that really helps a lot!

One of the local LR gurus says that he can probably use the same cooling coil that comes with one of them new Toyota HiLuxes as they seem to fit. Still considering if this is the way to go or not. He says he's done a few and the results are good at a better price. I asked him if it was any colder and he replied that it's just about the same as they measured. So there's that...

In any case, if I do resolve this by just acquiring the cooling coil, I'll share the wealth and post part numbers and photos.

Thanks again!
Post #377766 10th Dec 2014 8:55am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Puma heater units do come up fairly regularly on Ebay. I have two which I bought to protoype my cool-air-to-the-face modification and neither cost more than £50.
Post #377777 10th Dec 2014 10:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>