↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.2 Turbo/Intercooler pipe recall. *** WARNING ***
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Jim_Bean

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I've just read that previous thread. So the usual quality and 'Land Rover Shrug' from the dealers then.

I just hope that when (if) the modified pipe becomes available that a retro fit is offered. I don't want to be miles from base when this happens again, and it sounds like that is almost a certainty if you are fully loaded up on a long journey.

Isn't that what they are designed for?

The irony is that fitting the 3rd party steel hose (which sounds excellent) will probably invalidate the warranty Shocked
Post #250162 9th Jul 2013 9:12am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Jim_Bean wrote:
The irony is that fitting the 3rd party steel hose (which sounds excellent) will probably invalidate the warranty Shocked

Very true but you won't be stranded (not for that anyway Whistle ). It's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place. That's why I decided to sort out most of my woes before warranty expiry. I couldn't afford the time for the frequent trips back and forth getting the same items periodically swapped out due to poor finish.
If you're that worried carry a spare OEM set perhaps? If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #250167 9th Jul 2013 9:20am
Jim_Bean

I agree - frustrating. I think a spare is a good idea. Next time at the dealer i'll get them to hand one over.

I'm sure i'll be there soon for EGR valves or broken electric windows Very Happy
Post #250171 9th Jul 2013 9:30am
clwlaptop

Wales 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I'm traveling to france for the family holiday in a few weeks. One of the kids is disabled so breaking down is the last thing I need to do - so why did i buy a defender??? Anyway - Just had a look under the bonnet seems to be plenty of room between pulleys and hoses - am I looking in the right place? I guess things must move/expand??

Will keep an eye out for damage.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #250231 9th Jul 2013 4:35pm
zahy

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
clwlaptop wrote:
I'm traveling to france for the family holiday in a few weeks. One of the kids is disabled so breaking down is the last thing I need to do - so why did i buy a defender??? Anyway - Just had a look under the bonnet seems to be plenty of room between pulleys and hoses - am I looking in the right place? I guess things must move/expand??

Will keep an eye out for damage.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

i strongly recommend that you keep a close look at the turbo hose clip, had this problem last weekend and my delaer had to fit two clips to keep ot tight, according to land rover they are working on a fix for this problem, the last thing you want is to break during your holiday- enjoy
Post #250246 9th Jul 2013 6:01pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
zahy wrote:
i strongly recommend that you keep a close look at the turbo hose clip, had this problem last weekend and my delaer had to fit two clips to keep ot tight, according to land rover they are working on a fix for this problem, the last thing you want is to break during your holiday- enjoy

This hose coming off of the 2.2 Puma is such an old ill that it is almost not credible to believe that LR have not found a fix for what must be a really minor engineering issue. Below is a link to a thread on this topic which is now more than a year old, and problem still ain't solved Shocked . In the thread they talk about a Mikalor clip which is apparently better than the Jubilee clips seemingly still used by LR. I think if that indeed is so, then our LR Customer Relations forum representatives should pass this easy fix on to their superiors/engineers, no? Whistle
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic12314....p;start=45 You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #250266 9th Jul 2013 6:40pm
zahy

ericvv wrote:
zahy wrote:

This hose coming off of the 2.2 Puma is such an old ill that it is almost not credible to believe that LR have not found a fix for what must be a really minor engineering issue. Below is a link to a thread on this topic which is now more than a year old, and problem still ain't solved Shocked . In the thread they talk about a Mikalor clip which is apparently better than the Jubilee clips seemingly still used by LR. I think if that indeed is so, then our LR Customer Relations forum representatives should pass this easy fix on to their superiors/engineers, no? Whistle
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic12314....p;start=45

funny enough i did pass this information in my complaint to LR, who called back to apologise ( in other words telling me to f off) and when i asked for her comments that the same problem seems to be an old issue she replied that LR is always cautious before issuing any fix and that they currently are still testing the "modified part" i personally cant see this testing ending any time soon!! maybe the new fix is the DC100
Post #250270 9th Jul 2013 6:50pm
SGH

United Kingdom 
I thought Land Rover got their customers to test their vehicles for them Laughing
Post #250271 9th Jul 2013 6:53pm
zahy

SGH wrote:
I thought Land Rover got their customers to test their vehicles for them Laughing

Rolling with laughter with no feedback
Post #250273 9th Jul 2013 6:54pm
clwlaptop

I'll keep a close look out then. Thanks!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #250289 9th Jul 2013 7:52pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Worth checking the other side too where the alternator is! Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #250298 9th Jul 2013 8:17pm
clwlaptop

GOTCHA. TA!! Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #250310 9th Jul 2013 9:06pm
holgerb

Germany 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HCPU Tamar Blue
clwlaptop wrote:
GOTCHA. TA!! Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

New friction point: Intercooler-duct vs. mounting plate for airfilter-unit!!
i'm looking for suitable material to fix this problem!

Regards, Holger
Post #253619 25th Jul 2013 10:19am
Jim_Bean

So my MY2013 110 went in to have the new bracket mod fitted to prevent me needing a 4th intercooler/turbo pipe in a year.

The bracket is in two pieces. One section (comprised of two pieces) bolted to the alternator and holds the pipe securely.

Here is it with the first part bolted to the alternator - you can clearly see where the steering column has been rubbing through the 4th pipe as it shiny and clean:

Click image to enlarge

And here with the second part enclosing the pipe :

Click image to enlarge

There is also a second bracket that is bolted just behind the front grille and the pipe rests in this rather than being bolted in:

Click image to enlarge

**** HOWEVER - PLEASE CHECK THIS ******

To fit the bracket the dealer has to remove the air box :

Click image to enlarge

When they do this the bracket mounted to the wheel arch liner can be easily broken - as they have done to mine :

Click image to enlarge

I asked to be in the workshop when they fitted the bracket and the force they used to remove the air box was ridiculous. When they broke the bracket I was told not to worry as "that always happens" and that "the other mounting point is more that enough to hold the air box, you don't really need two."

If i hadn't been in the workshop I'm sure they wouldn't have told me about the bracket.

So in short, It goes in tomorrow morning to have a replacement air box bracket fitted, that was broken when they fitted the updated bracket that they had to do to stop the 110 eating its 4th pipe in a year.

Quality product, quality dealers.

**** PLEASE - make sure you check your air box bracket for damage AFTER the updated turbo bracket has been fitted *****
Post #344345 10th Jul 2014 9:19pm
borderterrier

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Which dealership was it mate?
Post #344364 10th Jul 2014 10:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>