Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Big seats (on a budget) discussion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
west4x4

United Kingdom 
Big seats (on a budget) discussion
So the seats in my 110 are awful.
The fronts are split with knackered foams creaky mechanisms so they either won’t move or won’t lock in position once you’ve moved them. I get numb legs after about a couple of hours.
The rears well they are the 3 individual seats that are torture for an adult. My daughter uses a car s3t as she’s only 6 but this pushes her forwards into the back of the front seat and the angle means when she falls asleep her head flops forward.

So replacement options there’s so many and on my budget a puma conversion for the rear and fancy recarros are not an option.

So for the rear do I fit 2 front seats with a cubby between it would be a better deeper seat with a higher back or go for alternative seats? Discovery 2 seats have been made to fit.

In the front it’s a choice between swapping out the fronts for the ones in my 2a which are defender seats but in much better condition. Rebuilding the existing seats with new foams and covers or alternatives from another vehicle perhaps a discovery to match the rears if I go that way?

Any pics or threads you’ve seen or heard would be helpful as I seem to be going round in circles on google.
Post #948760 9th Apr 2022 11:04am
Skeggy 90

England 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 SW Bali Blue
I fitted Mazda RX8 seats in my old 90. They are easy to fit with some box section. There is a choice of leather and cloth, mine were leather with the drivers being electric but worked fine.
I also fitted Vectra GSI recaro seats in to a 110 and Recaro CS seats from a Lotus Elise.

Click image to enlarge
 90 300 TDI SW (sold)
130 TD5 Utility (Foley SV) (sold)
110 TD5 Hardtop (sold)
110 TDCI Utility (sold)
1st Edition Range Rover Sport Supercharged
Velar P380 HSE
Discovery 1 V8 auto
Puma 130 Double Cab (sold)
R35 GTR
Defender 110 300 TDI CSW (sold)
2010 110 XS Utility
Post #948763 9th Apr 2022 11:28am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I hear you, it would be amazing to have a set of Scheel-man seats, but alas the cost of seats has sky-rocketed and justification is a problem when £1500 gets you just the two seats...

Well, I have never ever been that uncomfortable in Defender seats, but it must be horrid if you are.

So, four Defender front seats in a 2x2 format would be a good easy and pretty cheap way of getting comfy seats.

If the covers are OK then replacing the foams and refurbing the frames are not difficult at all, plus you can add heaters and lumber support if that is what you want.

I have often thought that Evoque seats would probably fit quite nicely in a Defender, but not seen it done yet.

But there are a host of non-LR seats that can be made to fit, such as RX* seats or VXR bucket seats. Apart from that any seat can be made to fit but you will have to adapt the Defender runners to fit the base of the seats. Plus using non-defender seats means that you will have to be able to demount the whole seat to get to the battery box.

If your seat covers are OK and the frames are salvageable (even if after a good scrub down, re-paint and grease) then the two foams are less than £100 plus paint and adhesive trim spray glue. If you are happy with vinyl then two seat kit from exmoor trim is around £240. Which is very reasonable.

Although using Puma seats I am halfway through refurbing Miffy's front seats - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic53859-390.html
Post #948765 9th Apr 2022 11:41am
west4x4

United Kingdom 
I’d love a set of scheel-mans. I’ve sat in some and they absolutely lovely. I never normally have an issue with defender seats so I presume/hope it’s due to the foams being shot. I’d like what ever I fit to match front and rear even if just with use of after market matching covers so keeping it all Landrover would be best so that could rule out RX8 ones
Post #948775 9th Apr 2022 1:42pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
So as a minimum you need a second pair of Defender front seats, a refurb kit for the original ones and materials to mount the second set in the second row.

Stick a wanted post up on the forum and you never know.
Post #948777 9th Apr 2022 1:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1