↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > And it's goodbye from me!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Shropshire Lad

England 
And it's goodbye from me!
Thanks for all the help and advice that I've had from you guys on here. You are a great bunch and such a fantastic resource particularly with a product like this but enough was enough. I have just got rid of my 2008 90 XS SW after 6 months of ownership. It has been the fourth model I have owned out of the current line up (only one I never went for was RR Sport but as I'm not a footballer/WAG or D Dealer it was out of choice Wink )

Anyway, I'm afraid that I could no longer put up with the poor quality of this product. I concluded that if I wanted a creaky, leaky, rattly work horse I could as easily go out and by one for a tenth of the price of the Puma! I cannot believe that LR are content to churn these out with their known issues and seem happy to rely on the enthusiast fraternity's loyalty to the brand and notional acceptance of third rate build and third rate components. It seems that some are prepared to put up with issues as being part of the charm of ownership but I for one could not continue with a product costing what it does being as compromised in so many ways.

All in all a thoroughly disappointing product.

All the best to you guys and gals!

SL LR 90 XS GONE! Hurrah!
Post #9367 3rd Apr 2009 8:59am
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
All the best to you too,good luck with what ever you buy Thumbs Up 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #9368 3rd Apr 2009 9:21am
Shropshire Lad

England 
Thanks Grockle.

I'll still cast my eye over the site from time to time! Even if it's just to feel smug Whistle LR 90 XS GONE! Hurrah!
Post #9371 3rd Apr 2009 9:26am
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Yes mate good luck. I have to say I do have some sympathy with your opinion.
Post #9372 3rd Apr 2009 9:28am
Shropshire Lad

England 
Thanks Boy. I initially thought I was being fussy but speaking with other owners I think they share some if not all of my views but cannot now afford to get out of their purchase, which is a real shame. LR 90 XS GONE! Hurrah!
Post #9377 3rd Apr 2009 9:51am
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Shropshire lad, goodbye good luck.
i wish you all the luck in finding a good product,
LR are not as good as id thought this being my first one im not to pleased myself Thumbs Up

You would think after 60 years they would have got it right NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #9379 3rd Apr 2009 12:01pm
Shropshire Lad

England 
Fekete

It is a common theme. It seems that to some people you are just supposed to accept the poor quality of the product as being part of the quirky character/ makeup of the vehicle. That is not something I can sign up to I'm afraid. I mean if you went and purchased a TV from a well known manufacturer and the picture quality was all over the shop you wouldn't a) put up with it and say "that's what gives it character" or b) be prepared to take the back off it and replace parts, install parts that are missing and spend more money trying to get it right now would you?!

SL LR 90 XS GONE! Hurrah!
Post #9380 3rd Apr 2009 12:22pm
fekete

Exactley Thumbs Up NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #9390 3rd Apr 2009 3:16pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Safe travels

Whilst i do to some extent agree with you on what is expected of us to accept, im afraid that other manufacturers can be worse...not only that the products are poor to begin with.

Maybe forums (especially like this) are the worst to put the bad image forward...they just arent all like it.

What i always find funny is that some owners get dogs and other just dont (i know someone with a launch 300tdi you wouldnt believe at 200,000miles how little he had replaced no clutch, gearbox, diffs, engine or anything - infact it was his first brake discs and just regular anal type services.

I wish you all the best - but i wouldnt count on the grass being any greener on the other side. Mike
Post #9392 3rd Apr 2009 4:19pm
markalpha

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Mse you seem to have some links with those at Land Rover, what do they make of customers who leave the Marque in a manner such as Shropshire Lad and are they 'Bothered'. If so what are their plans to sort out the long running issue of build quality, which lets face it go back years. I had a 1993 Disco for as long as it had a warranty then it was gone, sounds like some vehicles still leave the plant and spend more time i the dealers than on?off the road.
Post #9402 3rd Apr 2009 7:38pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Its difficult.

Ive had some bad ones - but then ive had some fantastic ones.

The thing that you have to remember is the dealers are very different to Land Rover.

Build quality has definately improved, but then ive seen and had other cars far worse than land rovers.

My Defender isnt bad - but far from perfect. I also see how hard the guys work (this is in the research and development) and think sometimes the digs and comments are not justified.

My final point is we you all of us are a TINY % of the overall customer base and its unfortunate that we may notice more or may be the ones with the problems more than others.

Every one is different and is treated differently - i sometimes think enthusiasts do get a harder line than others. Mike
Post #9403 3rd Apr 2009 8:11pm
fekete

Been sat here thinking.I've had many vehicles over the years.I tow 3500 kg most days and beyond.
I bought my Land Rover as a work bus......not for leisure. Jumping it full of Censored and mud everyday. Ididn't
buy it to drive around in and look good in.....I bought it for towing capacity. And to honest....
It does it's job.Things have gone wrong with it........but things go wrong with most vehicles....and alot
more would have gone wrong with lesser vehicles which of cost just as much. Land Rovers have got there issues.....but take it to the dealers and it's sorted.I believe my Land Rover will last me 20 years and towing that weight........many vehicles wouldn't last me 5 years with the Censored I drag.So all you guys with your
little bit of expedition gear and a little bit of town driving ....you shouldn't have no dramas really.
All in all ......for what they were made for......there not a bad vehicle......It's a work horse. NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #9405 3rd Apr 2009 10:39pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
I think I agree. I got my LR after having lots of Jap and Korean 4x4, but I want to have it for 20 years or so. None of the former would last that long as this thing. My old man had 3 series and one Santana. When I was a kid I usually was kind f Censored of as it was really slow, non-dust proof, no heater, no nothing, except that they were for lasting a long time. There are issues with the Puma, but I hope the dealer will sort them out asap.

One more thing: depends on your expectations. I knew since the begining the rig was......a Land Rover. Probably i would not have any problemes with a Land Cruiser, but it is a different concept.

I drove 200 Tdi LR and Toyotas for mining exploration in Tanzania. I chose all the time LR as any failure would not have been so seriuos as for the TY. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #9406 3rd Apr 2009 11:15pm
markalpha

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I do think we miss the piont some what, there is no doubt LR R and D are one of, if not the best in the world at what they do. But if the end product was reliable as well as tough, how much happier would we all be and how many more units would LR sell. Most LR are not worked to the full and thats why people buy alternative 4x4, as they can live without that extra capacity that you get from LR but they can't live with out a reliable vehicle. When I had one truck that was the positon I was in and I choose a Hilux and that was the right choice as it never broke down in 21/2 years 90,000 miles.

We all love our Defenders and their faults. But I know given the choice we would all choice one which very seldom needed work, compared to one which was at the dealers all the time.

I think the question is why can say Toyota build trucks which are more reliable than LR.
Post #9419 4th Apr 2009 11:25am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
fekete wrote:
Been sat here thinking.I've had many vehicles over the years.I tow 3500 kg most days and beyond.
I bought my Land Rover as a work bus......not for leisure. Jumping it full of Censored and mud everyday. Ididn't
buy it to drive around in and look good in.....I bought it for towing capacity. And to honest....
It does it's job.Things have gone wrong with it........but things go wrong with most vehicles....and alot
more would have gone wrong with lesser vehicles which of cost just as much. Land Rovers have got there issues.....but take it to the dealers and it's sorted.I believe my Land Rover will last me 20 years and towing that weight........many vehicles wouldn't last me 5 years with the Censored I drag.So all you guys with your
little bit of expedition gear and a little bit of town driving ....you shouldn't have no dramas really.
All in all ......for what they were made for......there not a bad vehicle......It's a work horse.

So good it is worth quoting in full Thumbs Up
Post #9425 4th Apr 2009 2:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>