↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Need help with hill starts with anti-stalls
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Obviously not a fan of the term 'mechanical sympathy'......... Embarassed

Its really not hard to learn basic clutch control and would suggest that along wth many other techniques it will help you become a better (and safer?) driver.......
Post #935855 1st Jan 2022 11:54am
piechipsandpeas

Australia 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Supacat wrote:
Trundlebus wrote:
I well be told I do it wrong but: my puma is used with a demountable camper. When fully loaded it is 3500kg. We frequently go into mountains. When I have to start on a steep hill I stop the engine, engage low range (if it’s really steep). Put it into gear. Hold it on the foot brake, start the engine and let go of the brake. I do not touch the clutch. The truck just drives up the hill. Change gear as normal once underway

I won't say you are wrong, but I do wonder at the additional stress on the starter motor. You can move the vehicle with the starter motor but I've only used that on the flat and in an emergency.

Also if the vehicle is in gear before you start the engine, I would have thought that made use of the footbrake redundant?

Not sure about forwards direction but stall starting is used / taught as a recovery option when you've failed to successfully negotiate a climb to safely get back down a slope.
Foot on brake, handbrake on, depress clutch and select low-range reverse gear, foot off clutch, handbrake off, foot off brake. Car is now held on engine only. Start engine without touching the clutch, reverse down slope and have another go or take a different track.
Post #935864 1st Jan 2022 12:46pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 
That's assisted by gravity though, which is completely the opposite to a hill start. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #935908 1st Jan 2022 7:49pm
fatduckling

Australia 
JPE wrote:
I love hill starts since getting my puma. Hill starts are quite possibly my favourite thing. I never use the hand brake when driving, its just a parking brake. Technique: Hold the vehicle on the foot brake, bring up the clutch gently, only release the foot brake gently when you feel the engine pushing against the brakes. Take your time moving your foot to the accelerator, the anti-stall is amazing so there's no rush. Anti-stall is a thing of beauty & creates the calmest of hill start experiences, however laden the vehicle. My tip would be to relax into it, almost to the point of sleeping, & experience the full joy of a calm slow-motion hill start. The defender will take care of itself. Forget what you've learned to do in lesser vehicles.

I just tried this on a most steep hill and it's so great! I just simply put clutch on biting point in first gear, released foot on brake and then released clutch slowly and the vehicle just climbed up the hill by itself! I took my precious pressing the accelerator, but it was so cool! I owned the defender for one year and I just found this feature now! Thanks!
Post #935981 2nd Jan 2022 12:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12