↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB - best double din?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
pilsburypie

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB - best double din?
So if I were to go the double din conversion route with a defender upgrades dash panel, what double din head unit do people recommend?

The Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB seems decent. Any others worth considering or better?
Post #933617 15th Dec 2021 12:29am
pilsburypie

I see there is a newer model…… Pioneer SPH-DA250DAB
Post #933674 15th Dec 2021 3:38pm
MichaelE

England 
I bought a Pioneer AVIC Z720DAB last year. One of my more expensive mistakes. I've had misc Pioneer stuff for decades. Home cinema amplifiers, dvd players etc. Always been happy and no problems.

I chose this Z720 for the satnav and twin camera inputs. I'm fully aware that car satnavs leave a lot to be desired when compared to Tom Tom [and maybe Garmin] dedicated stand alone units. I wanted some sort of satnav that I could use when I didn't have my Tom Tom with me, so it's there for when I get caught short. And yes, it does leave a lot to be desired.

My main complaint with it though are a couple of other things. I fitted 2 reverse cameras. One points down and close at the rear step and corners, and the second gives a longer view. Switch between the 2 according to needs I thought. Not a chance. Switching between the 2 cameras is such an infuriating unfriendly illogical sh*t show involving going in to menus, sub menus, back to another menu and eventually the second camera will appear. And that's only if you have memorised the selections to make and where to find them. Or written them down somewhere and have it to hand. You have no chance of doing any of this if you're in a parking situation with other cars waiting for you to finish manoeuvring before they can get past. After selecting the second camera then turning it off when finished with, the screen defaults to a blank screen with a camera select button which does nothing so you have to go back through the menus to revert to the other camera. No guidance or instructions are provided on connecting 2 cameras, menus or anything for that matter. Absolute waste of time.

My other complaint is the usability of the music navigation. No FF or RWD except dabbing on the progress bar which is too small to be of use when stationary let alone trying to do it while driving. The other basic actions like skipping tracks and moving to other albums don't exactly come easily either.

The 7 pressable buttons have a tiny dark silver text on a dark grey background. Very difficult to see in daylight even with their illumination. So again, a memory job.

It was described as having a removable fascia. This would lead you to believe that the whole front including screen comes off. It doesn't. Just the 3in x 1/2in button pad at the edge. So a thieving scumbag will probably not notice it missing in the dark until after he'd ripped the unit out and tried to sell it.

There is no front USB input. It's on the rear so you have to acquire and find a place to fit a separate USB input somewhere

It cost me around £550. I've had enough of it and when I find a suitable alternative it will be gone. And that's the problem. I can live without satnav but it's finding one with a good menu and camera selection function and being able to try it for myself first that will be the problem. I will also go for a less deep mechless one [no cd/dvd player] because it's a bit of a squeeze getting it in. Even then, you have to check the dimensions because there are a good number of mechless ones that have the same depth as standard.

Last edited by MichaelE on 15th Dec 2021 10:38pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #933711 15th Dec 2021 7:03pm
pilsburypie

Oh dear. That does sound a PITA. Especially when spunking big bucks. That’s always my biggest fear of expensive purchases. Not having them live up to expectations.
Post #933749 15th Dec 2021 9:58pm
StephenO

Scotland 
Re: Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB - best double din?
pilsburypie wrote:
The Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB seems decent. Any others worth considering or better?

I fitted one of these to my last Discovery 3 it was a great bit of kit. With the defender you may require a speaker upgrade too, not sure 2007 Defender Puma Tonga Green

2015 Range Rover Sport Autobiography Corrie Grey
1968 Series 2a Bronze Green
1995 Defender 90 Coniston Green
2005 Discovery 3 Zambezi Silver
Post #933774 16th Dec 2021 12:14am
pilsburypie

Speakers in the front will be replaced. Back and sub already sorted.
Post #933790 16th Dec 2021 8:35am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
I've had this just over 2 years and works well (or did I have amps etc plugged in and something recently has gone way wood..) I need to start looking at stuff to sort Smile

Click image to enlarge

DAB+, reversing cmaera, Waze, BBC Sounds, AMazon music, reads texts, talk to it to send a message..

All good Smile
Post #933802 16th Dec 2021 10:20am
pilsburypie

Anyone fitted the JVC KW-M565DBT?

The pioneer one looks a bit better, but that is a full depth 170mm vs the JVC half depth of 75mm….

I know space is very tight when doing this double din conversion so the JVC has a big benefit in this sense. I just wonder what Pioneer have packed into the extra space or what JVC have omitted?
Post #934557 21st Dec 2021 5:39pm
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
I have a JVC in one defender and a pioneer in the other .
The JVC was a cinch to fit but the reflection off the screen is something terrible compared to the pioneer. The slightest bit of sun entering the car and I can barely see it !

Another plus for the pioneer is the volume buttons, neither are perfect as they require a delicate and precise touch, not conducive to driving a defender but the pioneer has the bigger more responsive feedback by far. If I could go back I would choose a model with a physical knob.

I use both exclusively with CarPlay so have no opinion on satnav etc .

Both have reverse cameras wired in and neither trumps the other in that respect .

If I had the opportunity would I fit another double din ? .. no probably not, iPhones etc are so good now that I think I’d stick to a single din and save the cash !! https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #934627 22nd Dec 2021 8:52am
pilsburypie

Thanks for that. I know lots complain about volume control knobs.

Someone elsewhere mentioned the screen resolution of the JVC was poor. Do you notice this?
Post #934668 22nd Dec 2021 1:37pm
MichaelE

England 
Bluericky wrote:
I have a JVC in one defender and a pioneer in the other .
The JVC was a cinch to fit but the reflection off the screen is something terrible compared to the pioneer. The slightest bit of sun entering the car and I can barely see it !

I do believe that you can get matt film that you can cut to size and stick on
Post #934711 22nd Dec 2021 6:47pm
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
That’s good to know and may help.
The resolution on the pioneer appears ever so slightly better but I wouldn’t say there’s a lot in it.
One thing I forgot to say was that they both have appalling software or at least the visuals are. I’ve always found that odd.
Presumably they are predominantly designed for use with CarPlay and the Android equivalent . https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #934722 22nd Dec 2021 7:38pm
pilsburypie

There’s another contender in the running…. KENWOOD DMX5020DABS. This apparently won the auto express Best Buy award. The beauty of this one is that it’s not very deep - similar to the JVC.

To be honest, I bet they’re all much of a muchness. Seeing as I’m considering an amp, I guess it’s just preference. It’s a pity there’s not a shop that has all of them lined up to play with. Saying the software and operating system is crap on the others isn’t surprising. We’ve been spoiled with iPhones and the likes for years. Anything else seems antiquated now. Pity Apple don’t make a head unit…. But that would be £2k!
Post #934733 22nd Dec 2021 8:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1