↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Overlanding with the Puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Rob A

Brazil 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Alpine White
mse wrote:
In the UK the vacuum pump is now a restricted part. When mine went it had to be released specially centrally before desford could ship it.

Im not sure how it works with the rest of the world - but in the UK you cant get it as a spare (easily anyway)

Thanks for the info. It's probably the same here in Brazil, I'll have to check. At the moment I have a pretty good relationship with LR Brasil and they have mentioned that they would provide spares for the trip - in the form of sponsorship. I 'll definitely ask for the Vacuum Pump and let's see what they say. 130 HCPU 2.4TDCi
110 300TDi
Post #8822 22nd Mar 2009 8:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Scallops

Australia 
Hello Rob A Smile - I'm "Scallops" on the AULRO forum - and I did a 15,000km trip around Australia in my 07 Puma last year, as mentioned earlier in this thread. We went across the top end, through the Kimberleys, down the WA coast and back across the Gibson desert (Gunbarrel Highway) and the Simpson desert.

We drove across some pretty inhospitable country - and whilst I was carrying spares for various things - it was always the items you didn't have that caused problems. Nothing stopped us though - and we managed to reach Dealers to fix things as we went.

On rough corrugations traveling the Gunbarrel, we managed to destroy the rear brake disc guards through fatigue cracking. I heard them rattling and removed them before they managed to cut through my brake lines. The fix for this is to "glue" them on and use large washers to dissipate the shock.

My brake master cylinder reservoir also started to form a hole in the top side from the bonnet rubbing, and the lower intercooler hose rubbed on the steering column nuts - all things I found before they failed. The 2 front ABS sensors failed too. But again - none of these issues stopped us.

I know people with 07's that have had the vac pump failure - but mine is going strong and has driven through plenty of bulldust and heat - so I'm not going to fix something that "ain't broke".

I carried plenty of spare engine oil, a bottle of power steering fluid, a drive belt, a spare air filter and a comprehensive tool kit. And in this type of country - where you can be up to 400 odd km from anyone or anything - we carried an Iridium satellite phone and a EPIRB.

Just keep your eyes and ears open - inspect your vehicle each day before you begin. Make sure you can carry plenty of water too.

Then - just relax and do it!
Post #8927 23rd Mar 2009 11:32pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Don't forget spare light lenses as well as bulbs. Why lenses? I put one on the ground once when changing a bulb then accidentally stood on it.Anything you bring make sure you know how to fit it . Get your local friendly garage to let you practice changing the stuff that is most likely to need doing. They won't mind as they will get a laugh out of it! Good luck with your trip. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #8981 24th Mar 2009 8:11pm
Rob A

Hi Scallops

Great to hear that you had no real problems with the Puma engine up in the Kimberleys and across the Gibson and Simpson Deserts. I was lucky enough to do a bit of overlanding in Australia a few years back. Fantastic driving country and I got to know a little of the places you mention and just how tough they can be. Very comforting to know that the car had no real problems apart from the few that you come to expect.

I also know what you mean about spares though, no matter what you manage to pack in, you can guarantee the part you left behind will be the first to break. All part of the crack.

The vacuum pump seems to be an issue though and I’ll definitely take an extra one along, but like you, I’m not going to change it unless it’s broke. Our Def 130 has no ABS (or electric windows/central locking or traction control) so as I look at it, less stuff to worry about. However, thankfully it has got the new AC, Brazil can get as hot as OZ at times . . . . Embarassed

Thanks for the help and good luck with your next trip.

Cheers

Rob

PS – Sorry for the ignorance, but what is an EPIRB????? Confused 130 HCPU 2.4TDCi
110 300TDi
Post #9080 26th Mar 2009 8:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rob A

spudfan wrote:
Don't forget spare light lenses as well as bulbs. Why lenses? I put one on the ground once when changing a bulb then accidentally stood on it.Anything you bring make sure you know how to fit it . Get your local friendly garage to let you practice changing the stuff that is most likely to need doing. They won't mind as they will get a laugh out of it! Good luck with your trip.

Thanks Spudfan

Will definitely try to get as much time in as possible at the local dealer's workshop, they have been great so far. Let's see how long they put up with me in the way.

One other thing, apart from the GTR LR website that you have to sign up and pay for, does anyone know of a decent workshop manual for the new Puma engine?

Cheers 130 HCPU 2.4TDCi
110 300TDi
Post #9083 26th Mar 2009 8:10pm
Sonic3d

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Stornoway Grey
mse wrote:
In the UK the vacuum pump is now a restricted part. When mine went it had to be released specially centrally before desford could ship it.

Im not sure how it works with the rest of the world - but in the UK you cant get it as a spare (easily anyway)

Very Happy My local dealer is letting me take a new vacuum pump and a whole lot of other spares on sale or return for our trip to the Pyrenees Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #9098 27th Mar 2009 12:42am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Sonic3d wrote:
mse wrote:

Very Happy My local dealer is letting me take a new vacuum pump and a whole lot of other spares on sale or return for our trip to the Pyrenees Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Let them get it first...i was told we can get that next day sir...4 days later and a phone call to land rover from me before the part was actually release.

It may have come off protection in the last 4 weeks though - i doubt it, they may also have one in stock, might not be modified version though. Mike
Post #9103 27th Mar 2009 10:48am
CapeLandy

South Africa 
Rob A wrote:
PS – Sorry for the ignorance, but what is an EPIRB????? Confused

the EPIRB (Emergency position-indicating radio beacons) used on marine vessels if you are in an emergency and activate the unit, there is a raiod distress signal sent but can be picked up via satelite and calculate your exact position. Puma 110 - gone
Series III 1973 - going strong
Post #9119 27th Mar 2009 3:32pm
dm_td5

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Whilst on the aspect of safety, you are taking a good first aid kit I hope?

I carry EPIRB, Satphone and First Aid kit as a matter of consequence since I live in a remote area. 110 2.4TDCi
110 300Tdi

LROCV ::: AULRO.com
Post #9136 27th Mar 2009 10:27pm
Sonic3d

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Stornoway Grey
mse wrote:

Let them get it first...i was told we can get that next day sir...4 days later and a phone call to land rover from me before the part was actually release.

It may have come off protection in the last 4 weeks though - i doubt it, they may also have one in stock, might not be modified version though.

It was taken off the restricted list this Monday Thumbs Up
Post #9156 29th Mar 2009 9:15am
mse

Sonic3d wrote:
mse wrote:

It may have come off protection in the last 4 weeks though - i doubt it, they may also have one in stock, might not be modified version though.

It was taken off the restricted list this Monday Thumbs Up

That would explain it Mike
Post #9157 29th Mar 2009 9:18am
Rob A

Thanks for the replies

Yep, I always travel with a chunky First Aid Kit, but cannot afford a Satphone as of yet - very pricey here Big Cry

Now I know what an EPIRB is, are they very expensive?

As for the Vacuum Pump, I am still waiting to hear from LR Brasil.

Cheers

Rob 130 HCPU 2.4TDCi
110 300TDi
Post #9287 31st Mar 2009 10:49pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Rob A wrote:
Thanks for the replies

Yep, I always travel with a chunky First Aid Kit, but cannot afford a Satphone as of yet - very pricey here Big Cry

Cheers

Rob

Rob,

Trying to reduce the costs:

You can replace the Sat Phone for a good VHF 2M Radio (Radio ham use it!) at a cost of US$200-300.
EPIRB can cost you US$500, but may be an SPOT will be OK for US$180.

Check this page:

http://madmariner.com/blog/jeff_mclaren/7525 Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #9288 31st Mar 2009 11:13pm
sasha2001

Russia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Tonga Green
Rob A wrote:
Thanks for the replies

Cheers

Rob
can you buy from e bay? iridium I got one here for 65% of price here
Post #9291 1st Apr 2009 1:33am
mse

You can rent sat phones...i cant recall who offers this, but you can.

What ever you do dont get Globalstar, there is also a current problem with Iridium after 2 satellites collided.

They havent yet positioned one of the spares and there is still a wreckage.

We use Immarsat - but you can spend up to £3k on kit! Mike
Post #9299 1st Apr 2009 8:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>