↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Looks like my ABS mod has died?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Marlin.45

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Td5 SW Baltic Blue
Looks like my ABS mod has died?
2006 TD5 90

We have had the 2 amigos for several years relating to the 'usual' shuttle switch error and I have never got around to pulling the mod block and changing the switch assy (or linking it out). Last week the handbrake light came on and stayed on - though nothing to do with the handbrake switch or fluid level.

Connected up the Hawkeye and the ABS ECU states 'Pump failure 3 (pump sticks)'. Of course I can clear this but once I have the engine running and give the brake a good stamp the fault comes back so it doesn't appear to be an odd glitch? Repeated this 4-5 times driving around wet and muddy field and the ABS pedal vibration from the pump only happened once. Cleared the fault after each attempt and error latching in the ABC buffer.

Click image to enlarge

Just to cross one possible off I have a couple of new Siemens relays to fit to replace the originals but 99.9% certainty that will resolve nothing. Cheap though.

So if the ABS mod block needs to be changed I can see two options - a) £2500! , or b) a used unit. Can anyone recommend a source of used Wabco units that are kosher? 2006 TD5 90 County
1961 MF35
Post #916729 13th Aug 2021 1:19pm
glpinxit

United Kingdom 
When I had a MY2000 TD5 to keep the ABS working I used to plug my Nanocom in periodically and run the pump once (or more) for each corner. If I didn't do this it became sluggish (and always speeded up noticeably as I worked my way round the corners). I don't remember it ever throwing an actual fault but unless I did this the ABS was unreliable. Cheers, Guy.
Post #916781 13th Aug 2021 7:08pm
Marlin.45

Yep that is something I need to bare in mind once I have the modulator fixed/replaced. 2006 TD5 90 County
1961 MF35
Post #916931 14th Aug 2021 4:14pm
Marlin.45

Well it goes in tomorrow for the annual MOT so all faults cleared down in advance and we will see if the problem shuts up during the test? Once done we will evaluate what needs to be done to permanently fix it?

Still would like to avoid paying north of £2k for a new modulator! 2006 TD5 90 County
1961 MF35
Post #917820 19th Aug 2021 7:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1