↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > 3D printer recommendations
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BuckBlu110

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel CSW Buckingham Blue
3D printer recommendations
I’m eager to get stuck into 3D printing for various reasons. Mostly out of interest but also the benefit of experimenting with custom car parts.
I’ve got the software part sorted with 3dsmax which I’ve spent years using and have got used to it. I could do with recommendations on slicer programs though, what do people recommend?
And obviously I’ll need a printer, I’ve seen plenty of recommendations but would like hear what folks here would recommend.
Ideally, for a couple of the things I’m thinking of printing, I could do with a decent sized print volume.
Don’t want to spend thousands, as it’ll just be a hobby so probably £4-500 budget?
What do you guys reckon? Can I get something decent for that money and what?
Thanks
Post #864327 29th Oct 2020 9:51pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

I don't have one but have bought some for work, years ago we started with the Makerbots. now we have a selection including resin ones.

For home use a lot of the techs at work use the Eder range, the Ender 3 pro and Ender 5 some have upgraded to a heated glass bed.

Well in your budget and from what I have seen they have printed out some good quality items.

https://www.creality3dofficial.com/product...rQQAvD_BwE

This device is probably actually better than the first maker bots we bought that were over £2k when they came out... I currently have a project requiring another 3D printer for work and one of our suppliers I asked what would he recommend for a home printer around £400 as I'm keen for looking at one,

When they come back I will update you Thumbs Up
Post #864337 29th Oct 2020 11:04pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Re: 3D printer recommendations
BuckBlu110 wrote:
I could do with a decent sized print volume.

Just be wary of this. A friend of mine found a large 3D printer (half a metre in all dimensions) for about £500.

So far I've managed to dissuade him from going with it because it wasn't enclosed. On printing a part that big the main issue is going to be managing the heat and preventing the part from deforming as it cools. An enclosed build area that can control this I feel is a must on something that size.

At my previous job we had an old (one of the first commercial ones but still not cheap at circa £0.5m when they bought it) 3D printer that had quite a small build volume but the mechanical guys used to knock out much larger prints very regularly by slicing the model into smaller bits before printing the individual parts. They were then clipped / glued / doweled / bolted back together depending on the application. With 3D printing you have the benefit of not just doing a straight slice of a part but making a jagged edge so that it offers a greater surface area to bind over. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #864377 30th Oct 2020 9:17am
BuckBlu110

Thanks for the input chaps, like the look of the ender v5 Stacey I’ll have to do a bit of research on that one.
Sako, I understand what your saying, what volume would reckon would avoid that issue? I was looking at about max 300mm width and length, not too worried about mega height and the things I want to print will probably be no higher than a couple of inches.
Post #864423 30th Oct 2020 2:48pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 
I have a Ender 5 Pro... for the money the prints are superb!

I have printed a name tag and coat hook for my daughter today:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #864446 30th Oct 2020 5:05pm
chopcat

Wales 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Prusa would be my recommendation and you can build a very nice enclosure for it from their plans with a £8 ikea table.

I started with a Robo 3D which is great and up for sale if you wanted something to start off with as I am now printing with multi filaments.

TC
Post #864464 30th Oct 2020 6:46pm
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
..im recommending you to use Ultimaker Cura to generate gcode files for your printer..It does support huge variety of printers and its fantastic tool, perfectly working with 3dsmax (im using it as well). Just export 3dsmax->STL->open STL by Ultimaker Cura, and simply do slicing and save your file for 3d printing. Trully fantastic tool, im sure you will love it. Its free.
Post #864737 1st Nov 2020 11:51am
BuckBlu110

Excellent thanks guys, this has given me plenty to go at.
Post #864740 1st Nov 2020 11:56am
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
..and hint before you export STL file from 3dsmax..make sure you select all parts of object you want to export and collapse it in to single mesh..and then, convert it to EDITABLE POLY. Then just export. Without doing this, i did noticed some weird triangulation during slicing (max is not cad tool which is why it generates plenty of triangulation).
Post #864747 1st Nov 2020 12:18pm
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
I am looking at getting a 3d printer in the near future. I am looking at a prusa. For the build yourself kit it's about £700.

I borrowed one a few months ago and it worked well.

The prusa have a good online community for those willing to tinker.

You can also get the mini which is a good price

I think if you are looking at a large volume you are looking at expensive or poor quality - which means lots of frustration and a possibility of an expensive ornament. Also the printing can be slower due to the mass of the kit that has to constantly change direction.

I hope you make a good choice and it works well for you. I also look forward to seeing your creations.

Best of luck.

Mick
Post #864752 1st Nov 2020 12:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1