↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Rear recovery plates/ rings
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 6 <123456
Print this entire topic · 
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I'm picking up my recovery eyes tomorrow. The dealer offered to fit them at £180 an hour (estimate 2 hours work).

I thanked them and said I'd do it myself! One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #849462 12th Aug 2020 10:44am
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I just don't understand where main dealers get their prices from.
I guess the business model must work, charging very high labour rates to customers who are not on service plans or need out of warranty work doing.

But wouldn't a lower labour rate structure encourage more volume through their workshops and keep them fully utilised? With longer service intervals, the retailers must be seeing less activity in their workshops.

It isn't just JLR. We have always had our Vauxhall Mokka serviced at a main dealer, but this year Vauxhall scrapped their Service Club deal which offered a healthy discount for work on vehicles over three years old. They wanted £570 to change the cam belt, plus a further £325 for the service and MOT. Our local independent garage, who I have used before and trust, did all the work and MOT for £665.00, using genuine Vauxhall parts and this included replacing a rear broken spring.

We have to take the Mokka to the main dealer every year for a free check to preserve the lifetime /100,000 mile warranty. Coincidentally a service soon message appeared on the dashboard, just before we took it in. This was not related to the routine annual service. They plugged in their diagnostics and decided it needed no2 glowplug replacing. When I asked for a price they said £150. I bought a genuine Vauxhall glow plug from them for £31 (could have got a cheaper one but wanted to stick with OE parts) and fitted it in less than 10 minutes. Where on earth did they get £150 from?
Post #849466 12th Aug 2020 11:05am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I suppose the key question is whether the workshop is fully booked at £180 per hour, if so, the price is about right (although shockingly outrageous).

If the workshop is idle for much of the time, you're right, the price should be lowered. I suspect that the workshop is largely busy doing warranty work at a rock bottom rate of remuneration for JLR and the £180 per hour is the max rte that can be sustained in the reserve capacity to subsidise the warranty work. Rolling with laughter
Post #849468 12th Aug 2020 11:09am
Tim in Scotland

They also have to pay for those expensive new corporate image showrooms that all the dealerships are forced by LR to “invest” in Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #849489 12th Aug 2020 12:46pm
zilch

Australia 
alantd wrote:
I'm picking up my recovery eyes tomorrow. The dealer offered to fit them at £180 an hour (estimate 2 hours work).

I thanked them and said I'd do it myself!

I was thinking about doing the same, however the vehicle has not arrived, and when it does they are
going to be adding a host of accessories anyhow, such as fixed side steps, deployable ladder, RAI, roof rack,
wheel arch protection, mud flaps etc, i thought best let them do the work at the same time to save pulling the
vehicle apart twice.. with a mild hope that my extra parts would get lost in the whole scheme of things Rolling with laughter
no chance of that Laughing yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #849659 13th Aug 2020 12:07am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 6 <123456