Home > General & Technical (L663) > Rocky start for Land Rover’s new Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
J77

Scotland 
Supacat wrote:
J77 wrote:
An analyst from Hong Kong is disappointed!! Well considering his part of the world has caused a global pandemic and thousands out of work and the future looking bleak for thousands more, I’m surprised any has sold at all.

"His part of the world" - are you for real Evil or Very Mad

The key part of the quote is "management's comments around strong demand" - JLR senior management can try and pull the wool over the eyes of the public, but it's a very different matter to start being economical with the truth to these business analysts. That does not go down well and will have ramifications.

Poorly worded apologies for any offence caused.
Post #839227 23rd Jun 2020 8:27pm
labbix

>> Having said all that, I looked again at the initial post, saw the author's name and it all made sense.

No need to get personal as this has absolutely no added value, the contrary actually, at least to me.

And I am actually looking to buy 2 new cars at the moment, so yes I’m interested in other, real people’s, opinion. Not only the ‘professional’ ones.

Besides this I think most of us are aware of the awful situation the world is in. And I’m happy to support at least a few peoples job.

But I had high hopes JLR would have it right from the start with the new defender, and I admit all this doesn’t make me happy at all.
Post #839239 23rd Jun 2020 9:09pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
A few pointers from me, JLR may have left it a little too long to get the replacement out there on the market. We are looking at 4 years since ours left the production line, They could have done with nissan did with the juke, and extended production for another couple of years, maybe discontinue a few models. So money was coming in still. Then role out the replacement, Thumbs Up
Also with the way things are going with engines, The diesel market has taken a hit, So customers are not really sure what way is best for the future? They may spend a few quid on this defender diesel then the next thing the tax files up something silly.
Another thing from been in the production side of making parts for cars, The car market in general in the last 4 years has dropped. Nissan's new juke has not kicked off strongly at all and that goes for the new leaf too.
Again this is to do with the engine fiasco.

Then we JLR money problems, so is the defender future or bust for them? Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #839242 23rd Jun 2020 9:20pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
I was under the impression they were already taking the pi&& with the old defender in terms of crash regs, etc so no way it was ever going to last any longer........
Post #839243 23rd Jun 2020 9:29pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
^^^^ Thumbs Up Cheers

James
110 2012 XS Utility
130 2011 M57 bespoke Camper
90 2010 Hardtop
90 M57 1988 Hardtop
Post #839244 23rd Jun 2020 9:30pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
And I’m pretty sure the old Defender generated about £2.50 in profits for JLR, so safety issues and environmental issues aside, it simply wasn’t profitable to continue.
Post #839268 23rd Jun 2020 10:51pm
spudfan

Ireland 
At this moment in time that is about £2.50 more than the new one...and that is before the inevitable warranty stuff Rolling with laughter 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #839273 23rd Jun 2020 11:34pm
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
..there is no really surprise here for anyone with open mind and a bit perspective over wider world than one JLR PR campaign is portraying..they do not have enough James Bond movies to make this turd sell well..and its true ugly face will be seen some 2-3 years from now, when gremlins catch up..totally wrong name plate on totally wrong vehicle..its doomed..
Post #839276 24th Jun 2020 1:06am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
juwivive wrote:
Why are people trying to compare car sales when we're in the middle of a pandemic and the economy (all around the world) is in the toilet? Are you (or these analyst types) expecting people to be out buying expensive cars like the new Defender at such a time?

* In the month of April, only 4321 new car sales were registered in the whole of the UK. [Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52508010]

* GDP fell by 20.4% in April. [Source: https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/grossdomest...april2020]

* 8.4 million workers in the UK are on furlough. [Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52853333]

* 20.5 million jobs were lost in the USA in April [Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/08/jobs-report-april-2020.html]

Having said all that, I looked again at the initial post, saw the author's name and it all made sense.

Cracking 1st post, after lurking for what ~ nearly 5 years Shocked

"Why are people trying to compare car sales?" The only comparison is with what JLR have been saying about demand for the new Defender and the actual facts; there appears to be a bit of a disconnect and they have been called out for that.

JRL have been in a sales rut for the last 5 years, unable to get anywhere close to their target of 1m vehicles per annum. Its interesting to see how much will be blamed on external factors like the pandemic rather than more mundane things like poor quality, lack of reliability and generally bad customer experiences.

Please feel free to contribute some more ~ feels like you may have access to the internal machinations at our favourite car company?

Try reading this, might seem counter-intuitive but appears demand for cars may be going up:

"Sales in the country recovered faster than anyone would have dared to hope, propelled in part by health concerns. Premium brand Volvo reported that sales in China were 20 per cent higher than in 2019, while the whole market in April was 4.4 per cent higher than a year earlier."

https://www.ft.com/content/488d5886-c6af-4e80-a479-36aca26edd1d
Post #839280 24th Jun 2020 6:10am
zilch

Australia 
whatever the Chinese market is doing in the last 2 months, overall the pandemic has had a disastrous impact
on the worlds economy, including vehicle production and sales, anyone thinking any differently must be living
in Trump's alternative reality lala land. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #839286 24th Jun 2020 7:11am
labbix

Correct, but you can’t deny either that for JLR
“more mundane things like poor quality, lack of reliability and generally bad customer experiences”
play an enormous role as well, unfortunately, and all these are their sole responsibility.
Post #839287 24th Jun 2020 7:18am
zilch

Australia 
labbix wrote:
Correct, but you can’t deny either that for JLR
“more mundane things like poor quality, lack of reliability and generally bad customer experiences”
play an enormous role as well, unfortunately, and all these are their sole responsibility.

that is quite a sweeping statement for some early release models, i would rather wait and see
once production and deliveries ramp up to determine its overall success and quality. I am not
surprised with all the stop/start at Nitra that there are a few issues with a new model, it does not
excuse it, but i would not write off the vehicle or the production teams based upon the current
numbers delivered.. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #839289 24th Jun 2020 7:36am
labbix

I’m not making my statement about the Defender alone. I had a D5 myself with some errors. It has taken two years of hard negotiations with JLR when they finally, and just before a court case, gave in and took the car back and refunded me.
No to mention that the many early D5’s had, and some still have (see https://disco5.co.uk/forum/post27911.html#27911) similar water ingress issues as well, what makes me say ‘things like these are the sole responsibility from JLR’ and shouldn’t happen. For sure not with a new and so important model where they already had similar issues with the previous one.
Post #839299 24th Jun 2020 8:18am
labbix

And I strongly believe that the only reason I got refunded was because a few good people at JLR did their utmost to help me, even if they were not immediately involved themselves in CS or the sale itself.
But Customer Services, importer and quality of the original product failed big time, especially at the beginning of our story. Dealer and someone at Head Quarters were excellent though.
Post #839300 24th Jun 2020 8:22am
zilch

Australia 
some customer services do have their problems.. some manufacturers more than others. glad you got your
court case sorted Thumbs Up yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #839301 24th Jun 2020 8:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>