↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender main discussion thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 142 of 351 <123 ... 141142143 ... 349350351>
Print this entire topic · 
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Well I saw all 3 versions when I was invited to the customer perception thingy and I liked them a lot especially the 110.

Photos and reviews and I still like them but probably cant afford them

Yesterday I was Morrison's in Solihull and a new SUV was parking up, I though I wonder what that is and then almost instantly realised it was a dirty new 110 in silver. possibly a factory car.

The thing was I couldn't be bothered to look at it any further, mainly because it just didn't stand out as anything special, or perhaps its because I'm already bored with it, either way I generally do take an interest in new or unusual cars, but didn't with this one. DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #807921 29th Dec 2019 8:00am
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industr...noured-obe 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #807940 29th Dec 2019 11:53am
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Quite a few fashion designers have been bestowed with Honours in the past but sadly IMHO it is no indication of taste!!

Victoria Beckham, Vivienne Westwood, John Galliano, Jasper Conran, Alexander McQueen.

That being said, I suppose Jasper's dad, Sir Terence, did a reasonable job on the original Disco 1 interior.
Post #807943 29th Dec 2019 12:36pm
chalky

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
zilch wrote:
Look forward to getting the P400 in June, the vehicle is more suited to the distances
that people in Australia travel as part of their off road tours, such as Cape York, the
Kimberleys, which usually involve thousand of KM’s and weeks/months of travel, not
just a weekend away, less chance of needing a chiropractor at the end of each day,
or catching trench foot when having to do river crossings Laughing . A modern Landie will
Do and go anywhere an old Defender will, and leave you that bit more relaxed 😎

No doubt my post will attract the usual flak from the traditionalists

Amen to that......

When this forum was created and called Defender2 there were those that made reference to the fact that it was a defender and not a 2, similar to the D3 forum when the D3.5 came out or the D4 as some suggest,
Whistle

I’ve also had a D5 and again that attracted negativity from everyone who had no inclination to even buy one.

I’m now driving a RRS SVR, which will no doubt upset most traditionalist defender drivers, I’ll be getting a new defender despite the fact everyone seems to hate them, as you I have served in the military and used them extensively for over 2 decades, and driven Many thousands of miles I also feel like busted concertina when exiting the medieval torture device which seems to be the yardstick which all other off road vehicles are measured by despite the fact a Suzuki Jimmy is equally as good. As for discovery and RRS, they are half a century ahead of the old defender.

A new forum would be great, that way none of you have to listen to any one else with an opinion that differs from the defender lineage, DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #807944 29th Dec 2019 12:37pm
zilch

Australia 
Thumbs Up Agree chalky, the Army did not afford you any creature comfort in terms of the company vehicle Whistle
Happy to have a modern LR product that can make it easier to cope with the extremes from below
freezing to hot climates. As for the long drives and tours in Oz the RRS copes as easy as any Defender.
No doubt I will be classified as a fanboy and / or sycophant as I have chosen a new Defender over a “icon” Laughing yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #807950 29th Dec 2019 1:41pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
RRS SVR. Dirty dirty noise... Bow down 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #807976 29th Dec 2019 6:34pm
chalky

It is an addictive noise, especially on over run, pops bangs and crackles like a distant thunderstorm and goes like a scalded cat !

It’s a brutal thing, and shouldn’t ever be able to achieve the speed that it is capable of.

As for the old company vehicle, 😂
They were gradually phased out in favour of other vehicles as their adaptability was beyond their intended use, as others on here have highlighted their extended applications on civvy street in their use as everything from a humble daily driver to a mountain rescue necessity, I can only apply my own experience to owning series 2’s, 3’s, a couple of lightweights “half tunny’s” Two 1 tunnys, and half a dozen defenders. A D3, 2 FFRR’s, a Disco Sport, a D5 and a FFRR.

All of them are fantastic in their own right, the 50th V8, the 90 Tomb Raider, the D3 was a fantastic vehicle and totally reliable for over 7 years, this new defender will either work for my needs or it won’t, I just need to drive it and all it needs to do is be driven, I don’t want a transformer or a cherry picker or a converted ambulance, I don’t need a mobile forge or a mini fire engine, it just needs to be a useful family car, it’ll go to southern Spain thro France and be driven to the North of Scotland and also be driven to Cornwall every summer. I won’t be pretending I’m in the army driving thro muddy courses at Driffield and it won’t be used in the peaks As a vehicle that needs to extract walkers off a hill behind ladybower reservoir.
I won’t be venturing down country lanes after weeks of rain to rescue damsels in distress who have driven their bmw at 40 thro a flooded lane in attempt to be first outside the school at 3:15.

I’ll leave all that to those who have the only vehicle capable of achieving such heroic feats whilst scorning any one who dares to question the iconic defender and those who have stolen the name to apply to an aluminium bodied pretender are here purely for their own entertainment ! DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #807989 29th Dec 2019 8:06pm
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
So basically any family car would do if they are your requirements?

Very few of us actually need a proper 4x4, myself included.
This is, or was an enthusiasts website for original Land Rovers, I enjoy the simplicity, usefulness and character compared to all the plastic cars on the road today, I do not have some hero ego to prove, maybe some do? Rolling Eyes

If you decide you want something else that is your decision and good luck with it.

Last edited by Mike c on 29th Dec 2019 9:20pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #807992 29th Dec 2019 8:32pm
chalky

As long as it fits my requirements yes, what family needs a mobile forge, snow plow and cherry pickers ? I know mine doesn’t.

It needs to do 70mph on the motorway and be able to carry my nearest and dearest, it usually takes 2 days to drive to Spain although I have done it in Defender ! Scotland, 3 mile down an un made Road off the main, Cornwall with a trailer and bikes, must also be big enough to use as my daily for work inc my kit,

Although it’s not in boxes and it’s not stacked all the way up to the roof there is a fair bit of it so a fiesta won’t quite fit the bill, DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #807999 29th Dec 2019 9:10pm
Slideywindows

England 
So just keep the argument going........

You are not going to change anyone's mind.

Most of us are getting bored with it (the discussion and the vehicle).
Post #808006 29th Dec 2019 9:38pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Mike c wrote:

This is, or was an enthusiasts website for original Land Rovers, I enjoy the simplicity, usefulness and character compared to all the plastic cars on the road today, I do not have some hero ego to prove, maybe some do? Rolling Eyes

If you decide you want something else that is your decision and good luck with it.

This forum was actually set up for the New Defender not as its turned out, a forum for the run out of the old model. Just look at the name of the site Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #808011 29th Dec 2019 10:09pm
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
Fair enough I therefore need to resign Thumbs Up
Post #808014 29th Dec 2019 10:17pm
chalky

And as the date got put back year on year I don’t think any one back then could have Foreseen that it would come over a decade later
Laughing

I take it you’ve ordered a couple Andrew ? DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #808019 29th Dec 2019 10:27pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Just one for the moment, if they had launched the vehicle properly with all models and engines available I would have ordered more. Not happy about the price. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #808052 30th Dec 2019 1:00pm
chalky

I’m not overjoyed by the price either, but then again the old ones especially the last few are fetching strong money, still torn between 110 and 90, I really want a 90 but I’m not sure I can wait that long...... fingers been itching since 2012 so I’m trying to hold out to see what issues the first few months reveal hoping that the first editions aren’t blighted by the usual sticky infotainment and reliability issues regards oil dilution as this crippled me work wise with the D5.

I take it your using the dealers in H ? DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #808055 30th Dec 2019 1:59pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 142 of 351 <123 ... 141142143 ... 349350351>