↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > With or without ABS/TC
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
RED-DOT

Scotland 
BMW and Audi have been fitting ABS since 1980 ish and Defender must be the only vehicle it is an option? Peoples lives against cost, no airbags, not very pedestrian friendly either and they still charge £30,000+ for them... some cheek i say? 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #72092 22nd May 2011 10:14am
NinetyTD4

Wales 2012 Defender 90 Other SW Keswick Green
We all grew up without helmets, without abs, were not frightened to climb on trees, thus had the opportunity to built a sense for danger and how to cope with that. Do we really make the right choice to switch off awareness on physics? Remember, the Golgafrinchams became extinct after getting rid of their telephone sanitizers, which stranded with ship B on earth.

Last edited by NinetyTD4 on 22nd May 2011 1:53pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #72106 22nd May 2011 12:13pm
RED-DOT

Scotland 
NURSE, NURSE!!!! 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #72110 22nd May 2011 1:24pm
NinetyTD4

RED-DOT wrote:
NURSE, NURSE!!!!

OK, I get the redhead ...
Post #72113 22nd May 2011 1:54pm
Setok

Finland 
I think the TC can be useful, but I'm not overall very convinced on ABS. In snow and gravel locking the wheels can actually make the vehicle stop quicker, as it digs down. But even on wet asphalt or ice the best way to stop is to brake to just before the point where wheels would look. We tested it in driving school the "better than nothing" option is to pump the brakes, ABS was a bit better than that (pumps faster) and the best was to feather the brake pedal.
Post #72117 22nd May 2011 2:18pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
abs and tc

abs is proven to help avoid accidents.
Post #72118 22nd May 2011 2:26pm
Setok

Finland 
T1G UP wrote:

abs is proven to help avoid accidents.

Indeed, because many people (especially if they are unfamiliar with icy conditions) will tend to press the brake pedal to the floor in an emergency, and hold it there. A recipe for disaster.
Post #72125 22nd May 2011 2:54pm
NinetyTD4

ABS does help when people do not know what to do in a critical situation - it is for fools, BUT ... even though I am frequently on car security training (twice a year) I got ABS/TC due to one and exactly one simple reason: when in 20 years I might be going to sell the car, there is no way people will accept anything without it. I am not optimistic, but expect to see the mind melting degradation continue during my life span - I confess being a cultural pessimist on that.
Post #72132 22nd May 2011 3:24pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
BigMike wrote:
This is where toyota got it right and landrover didnt. Landcruisers have CDL, front and rear fully locking diffs. LR should have introduced this years ago. There is no contest between a locker and TC. Yes, TC can be useful on gravel and rock climbs, but when there is little traction plus articulation, locking diffs win by a country mile.

I agree defenders should have the option...but of course land rover do fit locking diffs...but then again there is a good argument that they(defenders) dont need it for the majority

I think ABS shouldn't be relied on but does have a place and can play a valuable role driver skill or not...as can tc

Abs and tc is a little like airbags...better to have than to need at that last moment! Mike
Post #72183 22nd May 2011 9:26pm
Scallops

Australia 
We don't get the choice in Oz - unless one chooses a 130. If I'd had a choice, it would be none. More stuff to break down the track and pay expensive repair bills. Add to that, mine broke anyway (under warranty) yet I still managed to drive across the Gibson and Simpson deserts without it just fine. Old ones didn't have it - series didn't have it. A Defy is capable anyway, especially when the driver gets to a level of offroad experience and develops some real driving skills.

I drive a Series 1 with bar treads - on the road, you learn to drive according to conditions! Off road - it'll go anywhere my TC/ABS equipped Puma will.
Post #72198 22nd May 2011 10:36pm
mse

I agree with driver experience, but there are also places where no amount of driver expereince will help, but driver aids will.

There is also the on road element.

There are lots of things series and early Land Rovers/Defenders didnt have...doesnt make them better and newer ones wrong. Thumbs Up Mike
Post #72210 22nd May 2011 11:32pm
Scallops

Australia 
I don't disagree with you, mse - but when the time comes to replace the ABS sensors down the track, we might all think differently. Without doubt, I've seen TC cut it plenty on some tough muddy tracks, and I was glad to have it, but I could have managed to negotiate any track where it has come on by adapting my driving style or using some offroad technique, such as dropping tyre pressures further. As for on road, I've never had TC or ABS cut in - maybe it's my driving style - it has been said that I drive like I'm taking Miss Daisy to church.
Post #72212 22nd May 2011 11:49pm
mse

Its the modulator block that would worry me...its a cool £1.5k i understand new Mike
Post #72287 23rd May 2011 6:02pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
The wifes Freelander 2 with abs & tc is superb in the snow - much better than my 100" with Detroit true trac & rear locker plus mud terrains - but on Ickle there is no tc/abs and am happy - old adage 'parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems' and I drive accordingly. Thumbs Up
Post #72360 23rd May 2011 9:31pm
mse

ickle wrote:
The wifes Freelander 2 with abs & tc is superb in the snow - much better than my 100" with Detroit true trac & rear locker plus mud terrains - but on Ickle there is no tc/abs and am happy - old adage 'parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems' and I drive accordingly. Thumbs Up

Freelanders are great in Snow and Wet grass type environments Mike
Post #72390 23rd May 2011 10:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>