↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Suspension - A softer ride required
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Cowpat

United Kingdom 
Suspension - A softer ride required
Had the Puma now for a month or so and really love it. Got the BAS remap and it's brill. Very Happy

The next job is to sort out the suspension. The ride is not that great as i'm sure a lot of you will agree.
My Defender is an 90 xs running the standard tyre/wheel set up. I was wondering whether any of you have fitted Koni or Bilstein shocks. Do they make a sigificant improvement? Or does anyone have a better solution?

Thoughts gratefully received.

Cowpat 1986 Defender 90 County V8
1997 Overfinch Defender 90 570HSI - Pass anything apart from a petrol pump!
2011 Defender 90 TDCI xs
Best 4x4 by Far!
Post #71304 17th May 2011 12:37pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
I have iron man "B" springs and OME shocks on my 90. The ride is superb and it handles fairly heavy loads equally well without being too stiff when unladen.

Springs from west coast 4x4 and shocks from gwyn lewis.
Post #71313 17th May 2011 1:03pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
i use standard road springs, replaced the HDs on the back and Koni Heavy Tracks all round

it has truly transformed the ride and comfort. BM52
Post #71398 17th May 2011 9:21pm
szracer

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Shocks will make the biggest difference to the ride, followed by springs (particularly rear).

Then if you're feeling really flush, beefed up anti-roll bars.

Fitted Bilsteins on my 110 and the ride is transformed - Much more supple.

The fact that the OEM LAnd Rover shocks are £30-ish each RETAIL, gives you an idea of how much they cost to make! They're truly shi*e! 
2010 110 XS USW (the slow one)
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ (the fast one)
2005 Ducati ST3
1954 Sunbeam S8
Post #71401 17th May 2011 9:24pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Bilsteins Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Standard stuff is Censored but there is the ODD one that likes it Wink NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #71403 17th May 2011 9:28pm
johnszs

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Alveston Red
koni heavy trakcs Thumbs Up extreme 4x4 are the cheapest and very helpful speak to roz(where i purchased mine from), although paddock will price match if you jump through this, then that etc Evil or Very Mad 2004 TD5 Defender 90 xs station wagon
Post #71407 17th May 2011 9:47pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
szracer wrote:
Shocks will make the biggest difference to the ride, followed by springs (particularly rear).

Then if you're feeling really flush, beefed up anti-roll bars.

Fitted Bilsteins on my 110 and the ride is transformed - Much more supple.

The fact that the OEM LAnd Rover shocks are £30-ish each RETAIL, gives you an idea of how much they cost to make! They're truly shi*e!

Actually on a landrover its springs that make the biggest difference rather than shocks.
Post #71409 17th May 2011 9:52pm
Alive Tuning

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Since taking delivery of my brand new 110 XS a few weeks ago, I've had some lowered dual rate springs made, paired with standard spec Bilstein dampers all round. I also have a few options of rear anti-roll bar to test, to get the balance just right. The ride is lovely compared to standard, and towing ability & load capacity is unaffected.

Our Td5 90 uses custom made lowered progressive rate springs, with shortened and re-valved Bilstein dampers. The springs give a beautiful smooth ride, but the dampers and roll bars fitted were deliberately agressive to give pin sharp handling. It doesn't have to be that way though, as having tested Defender suspension to the extreme, we can tailor a spring/damper/roll bar package that will transform the way a Defender drives.

One thing that is more difficult to change, is the bobbing that comes from the short wheel base of the 90. This is why a 110 gives a much nicer ride, and 130's even more so.

Best Regards,

Gary.
Post #71415 17th May 2011 10:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Alive Tuning wrote:
Since taking delivery of my brand new 110 XS a few weeks ago, I've had some lowered dual rate springs made, paired with standard spec Bilstein dampers all round. I also have a few options of rear anti-roll bar to test, to get the balance just right. The ride is lovely compared to standard, and towing ability & load capacity is unaffected.

Our Td5 90 uses custom made lowered progressive rate springs, with shortened and re-valved Bilstein dampers. The springs give a beautiful smooth ride, but the dampers and roll bars fitted were deliberately agressive to give pin sharp handling. It doesn't have to be that way though, as having tested Defender suspension to the extreme, we can tailor a spring/damper/roll bar package that will transform the way a Defender drives.

One thing that is more difficult to change, is the bobbing that comes from the short wheel base of the 90. This is why a 110 gives a much nicer ride, and 130's even more so.

Best Regards,

Gary.

Hi,

anorak question Rolling Eyes .....i found that the tyre pressures made a big difference as well. i have BFG ATs on as 'fit and forget' tyres which deal with all my needs and fairly low mileage. i have 30 at the front and 38 at the rear. What tyres and pressures do you use?

ARB - i'm interested in a possible upgrade. Mine feels like it needs the rear more than the front......but i am no expert! Can you advise costs please.

90 vs 110 re ride. Yep, i see what you mean but i chose the 90 for overall convenience etc, just 2 of us in for 95%+ time.

Cheers BM52
Post #71426 17th May 2011 10:44pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Alive Tuning wrote:

Best Regards,

Gary.

Gary

are you aware of what kind of "valving" figures are std shoxs?

thanks

MK Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #71445 18th May 2011 3:39am
nickhodgson

As far as I know (I have a puma and some 300tdis, a 90, 2x110s and a 130) Land Rover Genuine shocks are actually quite good. Additionally it is easy to get and change the rubbers and washers when they wear out. On a set of OMEs I had I could not get new rubbers/washers.

Also the Puma 110 runs in gas shocks as standard and I have replaced these with the TD5/300tdi oil shocks and have improved my ride - made it softer and less skittish on rough roads. I still think the rear springs are too hard for my normal loading but have not got round to sorting it out.

If you want to see the change in ride put a good load (300kgs) in the back of your car and go for a spin. If that gives you a good ride then you can decide what to do.

I agree that aftermarket shocks (some times sold as OEM) from woodhead and armstrong are not so good.

Shocks and springs work well if you match them to the weight you carry most of the time. On a normally loaded standard car going for anything with HD in the label will not give you a better ride.

I run my 90 on 28 front and 30 rear using either 265/75/16s or 7.50/16s.
Post #71471 18th May 2011 10:07am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
I run 265's at 35 rear, 30 front. this is after a lot of experimentation with pressures.

if carrying heavy load I'll up the rear to 40 and the front to 32
Post #71490 18th May 2011 1:32pm
Cowpat

United Kingdom 
Does anybody know what the JE Engineering kit is made up of? Apart from the shocks who do they use for their springs. The overall price fitted is massive! 1986 Defender 90 County V8
2011 Defender 90 TDCI xs
Best 4x4 by Far!
Post #71495 18th May 2011 2:01pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Looking at the kit its geared towards sporty handling as opposed to offroad driving. the AR bars are enormous. I guess it depends on what you do with your vehicle, but I wouldn't have that kit, not suitable for me at a all.
Post #71500 18th May 2011 2:57pm
Cowpat

United Kingdom 
BigMike,

Yeah, your right. I don't want the AR bars. I just wondered what the springs were. I'm taking your advice and checking out the OME Shocks.

Cheers 1986 Defender 90 County V8
2011 Defender 90 TDCI xs
Best 4x4 by Far!
Post #71501 18th May 2011 2:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>