↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Insurance!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
SJM

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
22900013A wrote:
That Landrover will not cover commercials (which I presume now means *any* Defender) is absolutely shocking and they should be ashamed.

Q on this point - does this mean they do NOT offer free 7 day insurance then on a USW after collection???

I completely agree. I called my dealer as I thought this was a bit 'off' - the dealer were very good, called LR Insurance and I had a call back from them saying they will cover it. Bizarrely they quote it as if it was a 110 pick-up, so they're quoting £676, whereas it was £352 to insure the 90 Neutral

Seems a bit of a hike, although I appreciate the 110 is worth about £30k and the 90 was valued at £20k so that will make a difference. I called Adrian Flux - bext price was £1100!! Will call NFU this morning and see what they can do. I should add, I'm 40 yrs old, maximum no-claims and only one 'speeding' on the licence (which does not effect the premium).

Anyway, let's see what NFU can do... Simon
'11 Defender 110XS Utility SW
'07 Discovery 3 HSE
'58 Porsche 356A (not good off road)
'59 Lambretta (not good on or off road!)
Post #58235 10th Feb 2011 11:59am
mrandmrsh

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
SJM wrote:
22900013A wrote:
That Landrover will not cover commercials (which I presume now means *any* Defender) is absolutely shocking and they should be ashamed.

Q on this point - does this mean they do NOT offer free 7 day insurance then on a USW after collection???

I completely agree. I called my dealer as I thought this was a bit 'off' - the dealer were very good, called LR Insurance and I had a call back from them saying they will cover it. Bizarrely they quote it as if it was a 110 pick-up, so they're quoting £676, whereas it was £352 to insure the 90 Neutral

Seems a bit of a hike, although I appreciate the 110 is worth about £30k and the 90 was valued at £20k so that will make a difference. I called Adrian Flux - bext price was £1100!! Will call NFU this morning and see what they can do. I should add, I'm 40 yrs old, maximum no-claims and only one 'speeding' on the licence (which does not effect the premium).

Anyway, let's see what NFU can do...

How did you get on? I am struggling with insurance.

I am with the NFU and have been a big fan of their service up until now. I emailed them 4 weeks ago saying: -
* I have sold my 1987 110 so please take that off cover
* We will sell wife's car (insured with NFU at same Agency in her name)
* She will use my G4 D3 (currently insured in my name through same NFU agency)
* I will buy a 110 Utility XS new in my company's name and will want it insured in my company's name too
* I am considering adding either LR accessories (winch, steering guard, tow bar, RAI, dog guard, rubber mats) and a Parrot hands free
* Another option is adding non LR winch, a roll cage, RAI, tow bars, steering guards etc and the Parrot.

What I wanted was the easiest way to insure this e.g.
* does my D3 that wife uses need to be insured in her name?
* how much is a standard Utility
* how much is utility with LR bits
* will they cover Utility with all the non LR bits

I got no response so called after a week. Snotty youth tells me they are very busy and I should wait, I asked how will I know if it is still on the to do list/they have still not been arsed to look at it or if they have lost it?

Anyway, I went away for 2 weeks and came back to nothing so called again. Girl says "ohhh doubt we will cover a heavily modified car like that, what do you want to modify it like that for?" I explained it is occasional recreational use.

Got a call back saying no can do any of it and no point quoting for Utility as they are unlikely to want to cover it now I have showed my hand as a heavy off road user (which I am not!).

Am so Censored wed off with them.

So, have called a few other options.

I am 41, married to 49yo wife, living in rural location, full NCB (me and wife), clean licences held for donkeys years (me and wife) and wife has no accidents, I reversed into parked car Dec 09 caused some minor damage to their car and none to mine.

Confused.com (Gladiator insurance) quoted £817 but called almost straight away to check what kind of LR it was and upped it to £860 or something for a standard XS Utility.

More Than wanted £1283

Flux wanted £1000

Go compare best price was £2100.

Will try Footman James, NFU via a different agency and whoever else I can find later today but it seems they don't like one or more of it being £30k for the car and/or it being insured in my company's name (I need it to be a company vehicle to get VAT back and BIK lower rate).

Cheers
Craig (aka disgruntled of Yorkshire)
Post #69478 3rd May 2011 12:03pm

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Java Black
I can't find anyo9ne who can beat Swift.com !!!

just be sure your happy with their excess etc 110 Black Java Puma Utility, Kenlowe fan, bullbar, sides step, tinted windows, bluetoth, Scanguage, BAS,
Post #69486 3rd May 2011 12:53pm
SJM

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
HI Craig - sounds like you are having very similar problems to the ones I enjoyed Rolling Eyes

I managed to insure it with Land Rover Insurance themselves in the end. I forget the name of the company they outsource it to, but basically they are relatively new to having the Land Rover account, which I guess may explain some of the confusion I had with them. Initially they did not want to touch it, then they agreed to quote at some crazy price - over £1k because they kept quoting it as a "pick up" and therefore lumping it with 'commercial insurance' rates. The dealer was able to explain to them that it's just a 110 XS Station Wagon without windows in the back and arranged a team leader to call me back - guys name is James, but I can't remember his surname. He was very helpful and in the end we covered it as a 110 XS Station Wagon for normal Social Domestic & Plasure as a Private (i.e. not commercial!) vehicle. The final figure was about £650, which is still about £300 more than I paid the previous year to insure my 90 - but it was still about £400 less than the next best price I could get, and importantly for me it's official LR cover - so I get all off roading covered and they had no problems with the options added.

I worked in motor insurance for about 10 years so have a pretty realistic view of rates/ claims etc and to be honest another £300 to cover an extra £10k of car is not unreasonable. People get bothered about what % increase and compare to % increase in value of vehicle - the reality is it doesn't really work like that.

May be worth getting your dealer to call them? I tried and tried to explain to no avail - but the call from a dealer who was by then looking at losing a sale seemed to work wonders Very Happy Simon
'11 Defender 110XS Utility SW
'07 Discovery 3 HSE
'58 Porsche 356A (not good off road)
'59 Lambretta (not good on or off road!)
Post #69487 3rd May 2011 12:55pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Quote:
I worked in motor insurance for about 10 years so have a pretty realistic view of rates/ claims etc and to be honest another £300 to cover an extra £10k of car is not unreasonable. People get bothered about what % increase and compare to % increase in value of vehicle - the reality is it doesn't really work like that.

It almost sounded like were should play the Violin and feel sorry for them.

They make a killing and just rip us off - thats insurance. How does a diff guard change a vehicle's risk!

But i do admit that people are stupid with their claims now...i cant help but think thats because insurance companies are arses at paying most of the time - so its their fault. Mike
Post #69534 3rd May 2011 6:08pm
mrandmrsh

SJM wrote:
HI Craig - sounds like you are having very similar problems to the ones I enjoyed Rolling Eyes

....... in the end we covered it as a 110 XS Station Wagon for normal Social Domestic & Plasure as a Private (i.e. not commercial!) vehicle. The final figure was about £650, which is still about £300 more than I paid the previous year to insure my 90 - but it was still about £400 less than the next best price I could get, and importantly for me it's official LR cover - so I get all off roading covered and they had no problems with the options added.

My problem is I want cover for business use and want it insured in my company name as it will be registered to the company.

I am getting to the point of filing under "too hard" to be honest, I am amazed how difficult this has become.

C
Post #69640 4th May 2011 1:41pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
It can get like that - i would suggest a pause, regroup and consider how they have had it explained to them...they may just be getting the wrong message

I managed a similar problem, by doing it in 3 seperate phone calls...problem solved Mike
Post #69673 4th May 2011 7:49pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Just to add an update to this thread;

I called my insurers today (LV) to swap the insurance over from the 90 to the new 110 tomorrow.

The girl who answered could find the 2011 110 XS on her screen even though it showed on their website. She called the tech desk who confirmed the website listing and issued new documents for the rest of the current term which is until Feb next year.

Same cover, same drivers - so how much to change from a 2001 TD5 90TR worth approx £12k to a 2011 TDCi 110 XS worth £32k, both with alarms?

£24.40 refund is being sent out Shocked Go figure Laughing John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #72271 23rd May 2011 2:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
After many years with NFU it looks they've hiked my premium up which appears to me that they no longer appreciate my custom. I shall probably be looking elsewhere. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #74006 3rd Jun 2011 3:29pm
mrandmrsh

By way of an update I stuttered and dithered and didn't swap as my mind was elsewhere, splitting up with the Mrs.

Anyway, ordered a new 110 USW XS 2012 2.2 last week in black last week, am part exchanging the G4 D3. Called around for insurance and got quotes from £900 to £3000. This is for me and girlfriend (who is 43 but provisional driver), insured in company name (which complicates things a bit), clean record (one bump 3 years ago but full NCB) etc. etc.

So, £930 was their first quote. Sucked air through my teeth, moaned a bit and the agent called the NFU and discussed it with the underwriter and spoke to them and the price is now £650. Not cheap but nearly £300 for moaning a bit.

HTH
Craig
Post #124459 16th Feb 2012 4:51pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Just got the renewal sorted out with LV for £278.86 for the 110 Thumbs Up John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #124481 16th Feb 2012 6:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lukey Boy

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
My renewal was last month and I payed £425 with Admiral. I'm 34, clean licence with some upgrades including BF 265s and wheel spacers.

I rang Lancasters, Footman and James and Adrian Flux. The tyres and wheel spacers were the sticking point. None of them would offer under £700 due to being non standard.

Admiral said they were fine with mods so long as they were not "performance inhancing". Sorry K9F. 2008 110 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Post #125480 20th Feb 2012 10:14pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Another Thumbs Up for Admiral.

I got the best deal from them...because they did a No Claims transfer off my existing car (the XC70).

Quote:
Insure a second car with us and, in most cases, we'll match your No Claims Bonus on that vehicle as well.

Very few companies would allow me to use my No Claims on a 2nd car, but Admiral did - making them the cheapest... Thumbs Up £262.00 Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)

Last edited by MartinK on 21st Feb 2012 7:36am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #125531 21st Feb 2012 7:31am
chiefstoker

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
I just read this thread right through, loved the little spat between Zag and K9F Laughing

JSG. MartinK your quotes were good, what mods have you got? 2005 TD5 90 Hard Top

Beer 'n Sex 'n Chips 'n Gravy

Post #125532 21st Feb 2012 7:36am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
chiefstoker wrote:
MartinK your quotes were good, what mods have you got?

None...just a tow bar, side steps, tempcheck etc...nothing the insurer needs to know (although I did tell them I had a tow bar, and would be towing...)

I'm 48, with full NCB, clean license (fingers crossed here), and probably live in a low-crime postcode area... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #125533 21st Feb 2012 7:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>