↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Double cab Canopies
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
david110

Scotland 2015 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Double cab Canopies
Evening looking to get a new canopy for my new double cab, I had the truckman on my last car which I should never have sold with the car Big Cry What canopies do you guys have and what are your general thoughts as there are a couple out there. Any photos would be good.

Thanks
David
Post #66011 2nd Apr 2011 10:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martyn

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 PU Keswick Green
Personally, I think to replace the original canvas (well canvas looking) tilt with a hard jobby is utter sacrilege of the highest order, though, I appreciate the double cab keeps loads separate from the cab but not in a very secure way Rolling Eyes

Truckman's are made about 2 miles up the road from here (Brierley Hill) - extortionately expensive. Only other ones I've seen are Ifor Williams jobbies with options of mesh, solid or solid/window access hatches. About 350 notes Sheep

http://www.iwt.co.uk/products/canopies/can...ab=details
Post #66013 2nd Apr 2011 11:52pm
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
Heres my Gamic top, better quality than the IFOR fits the rear of the cab much better. Slight butchery needed to the galvo tray that the canvas sits in but fits tight. Rear door also has gas struts as opposed to a prop.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #66016 3rd Apr 2011 7:13am
double cab happy

England 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Java Black
been covered before, some pics of mine not quite finished but you get the idea,

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic3418.html?highlight=
Post #66039 3rd Apr 2011 3:21pm
david110

canopy?
Hello how water tight is your canopy?
Thanks
David

[quote="willy eckerslike"]Heres my Gamic top, better quality than the IFOR fits the rear of the cab much better. Slight butchery needed to the galvo tray that the canvas sits in but fits tight. Rear door also has gas struts as opposed to a prop.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

[img:870:650]http://www.defender2.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/10628/normal_IMG_0135a.
Post #66093 4th Apr 2011 12:21am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
willy eckerslike

Pretty good as it butts up to the cab well, the top seal is under the gutter, I think with a bit of effort it could be watertight. the rear door could do with a strip of neoprene to stop water being sucked in.
I should point out that you will need to cut down the holes for the tilt type top in order to let the canopy sit all the way down. There are of course better canopies that are custom fitted. But for cheap and cheerful I think the Gamic is good. Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #66098 4th Apr 2011 7:56am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Might also be worth considering the Camelbac by Nene. Look HERE

Or Trojan backs by Trekoverland look HERE

HTH

Brendan
Post #66105 4th Apr 2011 8:55am
willy eckerslike

I looked at a Camelbac, never looked again, you could pull the back door open when it was locked due to the flimsy nature it just bellowed out and the latches came free. It was one year old and the paint was bubbling and the internal corner braces had all but corroded through. I suppose it could have been a one off. The Trojan is much better built altogether. I think you pays your money and takes your choice Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #66106 4th Apr 2011 9:08am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I have an IW with the solid back on mine, it is somewhat agricultural but does the job and was extremely good value. It fits well, and keeps most of the wet out. It is a little bit taller (perhaps 2" by the looks of it) than the Gamic top pictured above. The seal to the back of the cab appears to be completely satisfactory.

The rear flap is secured with two antiluces (as on all IW tops) and is held open by a very rudimentary prop. One day I may get round to fitting a single handle arrangement (as used on LR lift-up flaps) and gas struts, which would be an easy mod), but I am in no rush.

Why did I choose an IW? Firstly because it represents extremely good value for money, secondly I needed something made of metal that a wolfdog can't eat its way out of, and thirdly I actually like to look, I think that the "industrial" look suits a Defender.

Be aware that if you have a "Sonic" spare wheel carrier you will need to be a bit creative and modify it slightly if you fit any canopy with a full width flap, since otherwise the flap will foul the spare wheel. Locking the wheel carrier in the shut position will have the effect of locking the flap.
Post #66112 4th Apr 2011 9:34am
leeds

United Kingdom 
That is interesting Willy. I have only had a cursory look at the various backs. Never had time/need to look at them closely.

One point about forum is to gather as much information/facts/opinions as possible

Brendan
Post #66114 4th Apr 2011 9:43am
david110

blackwolf wrote:
I have an IW with the solid back on mine, it is somewhat agricultural but does the job and was extremely good value. It fits well, and keeps most of the wet out. It is a little bit taller (perhaps 2" by the looks of it) than the Gamic top pictured above. The seal to the back of the cab appears to be completely satisfactory.

The rear flap is secured with two antiluces (as on all IW tops) and is held open by a very rudimentary prop. One day I may get round to fitting a single handle arrangement (as used on LR lift-up flaps) and gas struts, which would be an easy mod), but I am in no rush.

Why did I choose an IW? Firstly because it represents extremely good value for money, secondly I needed something made of metal that a wolfdog can't eat its way out of, and thirdly I actually like to look, I think that the "industrial" look suits a Defender.

Be aware that if you have a "Sonic" spare wheel carrier you will need to be a bit creative and modify it slightly if you fit any canopy with a full width flap, since otherwise the flap will foul the spare wheel. Locking the wheel carrier in the shut position will have the effect of locking the flap.

Thanks Blackwolf I have just found an Ifor Williams dealer less than 20 miles Im going to go up and see them, do you think they could be painted ok at a paint shop?

Thanks
David
Post #66227 4th Apr 2011 11:39pm
pbob

Australia 
Mine is a cut and shut 1969 series 11 SWB hardtop. Resprayed, gas struts waterproof etc. It really works well and no work to do on the tub.
Post #66232 5th Apr 2011 3:53am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
david110 wrote:

Thanks Blackwolf I have just found an Ifor Williams dealer less than 20 miles Im going to go up and see them, do you think they could be painted ok at a paint shop?

Thanks
David

I don't see any reason why a good paintshop should have any trouble painting one. The top is, of course, aluminium, but provided that the paintshop knows how to paint ally there should be no problems.

Due to the £400 price tag of a new top for a double cab (plus the fairly long lead time on delivery) I initially thought I'd buy a 90 canopy, which come up often on eBay, and cut it down (it is 3" longer than the DC top). I duly found a very good one locally and paid a massive £20 for it, but it had a meshgate and I wanted a solid flap. Before making any mods to the 90 canopy I went to see my local IW dealer, who offered to get a solid flap to fit the 90 top but it would cost about £250, a complete brand new DC top with solid flap being £400. However, he then offered me a £200 part exchange on the 90 top, meaning that the brand new DC top only cost me £200, less than the price of the flap on its own!

So, if you can find a good cheap 90 canopy to part-ex, you may get a good deal!
Post #66244 5th Apr 2011 9:34am
RED-DOT

Scotland 
Was deer stalking on Skye and there was a really good IW 90 canopy lying behind a forestry gate.. god knows how it got there. Maybe stolen and waiting to cool off? 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #66245 5th Apr 2011 9:38am
pbob

Australia 
My series 11A came with a tropical roof, so I left that on the canopy as well! Very Happy (I'd put a pic on but can't work out how to.)
Post #66253 5th Apr 2011 10:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>