↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > For Sale & Wanted > [Wanted] ROLL CAGE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
BLACK LAB

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
[Wanted] ROLL CAGE
Guys, I've been thinking for ages now about adding a roll cage on my 2006 TD5 90 CSW XS.
Wondering if anybody has one for sale ? Or could maybe point me out to ones for sale that they would recommened .
I looked on ebay but I would rather have them vouched for on here by folk who know better .
Maybe someone has a good second hand one they would like to sell ?

Thanks 2006 DEFENDER 90 TD5 CSW XS
2018 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE DYNAMIC
Post #657781 17th Oct 2017 4:45am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Second hand are hard to come by. The installation of a proper cage involves a lot of destructive hole cutting and small mods to the vehicle structure to make it work as intended. Removing one would seem silly or redundant in most cases, I guess someone may have taken their vehicle for a swim and it was written off? Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #657792 17th Oct 2017 7:35am
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
Most of the ones i've seen for sale are from unfinished projects or from a change of heart (usually when someone finds out that it costs as much to fit as it does to buy it!) 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #657794 17th Oct 2017 7:49am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Fair point. When mine arrived I cut the first hole within hours to make sure I followed through Shocked Wink

It was a CHORE installing it, shudder thinking about how much the local 4x4 outfit would have charged. Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Last edited by agentmulder on 17th Oct 2017 11:14am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #657795 17th Oct 2017 7:55am
BLACK LAB

Is the front ones even hard to fit ? Whats all involved in it ? I thought they just bolted on ? 2006 DEFENDER 90 TD5 CSW XS
Post #657815 17th Oct 2017 10:18am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Yes, they are quite involved to fit, more so if you have things like rock sliders and/or RAI etc.

Here's a link to a time-lapse video from Safety Devices (which is entirely unhelpful because it is so fast) but is amusing.

If you visit http://www.safetydevices.com you can find the fitting instructions.
Post #657818 17th Oct 2017 10:23am
BLACK LAB

So looking into that ......There is quite alot of work . Not enough to put me off completely .

Does anybody think that a good solid roof rack may afford some degree of protection ? Maybe a half way house between standard and full roll cage ?

I still like the roll cage though ....Also seems like you coudl still strap stuff securely to the roll cage as well ? Is that legal or not ?

I just keep thinking I should make the vehicle a bit safer cos my young lad travels in the front of it in his car seat because he is too wee to go in the side facing rear seats ? I'm a bit concerned that the A-posts look a bit weak if we ever crashed ? Those front roll cages look ok on ebay for about £600-£700 ? Or is there better options out there ? 2006 DEFENDER 90 TD5 CSW XS
Post #657820 17th Oct 2017 10:32am
Thon

United Kingdom 
Trek Overland has a sale on at the moment, with Safety Devices cages at a discount. Still pretty expensive though.

Having been through the fitting process myself, and having lived with it for 6 months or so, I am more than happy that I fitted it. If you don't mind the looks of the external cage, I would advise that full external is the simpler way than the external front/internal rear that I have. Safety Devices were very helpful with the process, but I think there are cheaper alternatives, such as P&P.

Regarding fitting a roof rack as a substitute - don't bother. The roll strength of a Defender is pretty poor by today's standards and adding a roof rack will not help as it is the strength (or lack of) in the pillars that is the critical factor. This is my 5th and final Defender and with all of the previous 4 I wished i'd been able to afford to fit a cage. I also now have a toddler that regularly travels with me, plus my wife and the dog, so it finally pushed me over the edge to get one fitted. It was a mammoth job, but I also took the opportunity to remove and paint the (flaky) roof and re-seal every joint.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #657824 17th Oct 2017 10:54am
BLACK LAB

To be honest I quite like the rugged look of the full external roll cage - I'm not too fussed about the internal ones . 2006 DEFENDER 90 TD5 CSW XS
Post #657829 17th Oct 2017 11:15am
Thon

United Kingdom 
To each his own Thumbs Up
Post #657830 17th Oct 2017 11:24am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
And you can use the external cage as a rack yes ...

Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

And yeah, external cages look great too Laughing Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #657835 17th Oct 2017 11:38am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
As commented above, a roof rack will not make the lightest difference to the survivability, and in fact makes it more likely that the vehicle will end on its roof in an incident.
Post #657836 17th Oct 2017 12:25pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
The quotes I got for a full external for a DCPU where around £3k supply and fit from most places. However this was no interior bracing as it makes the Defender cab even smaller! Prices where around £4k+ for an internal/external one.

Though I did get a chance to speak to SD at the LRO Show, they basically said if you can use a spanner you can fit one yourself with a few mates over a weekend. So that is the plan really, though will be doing it with paid help from some mates that own a garage and many tools

@Thon that looks like a lovely cage! How did you find the fitting process?
Post #657875 17th Oct 2017 3:14pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
I had mine full external cage fitted by Safety Devices at their premises last year.
It was around 2.5k inc fitting I believe but I think they might have been doing a deal at the time.
They worked on it 3 - 4 days.

Thon - I'd be looking at getting some padding fitted to the internal cage. 
Post #657879 17th Oct 2017 3:28pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
It's all just spanner work, coupled with some panel removal and cutting, stress, trim removal, cutting, adjusting, tears, re-drilling chassis outriggers, more tears and finally a big bill when you lose the will to live.... Laughing

Honestly though, if you have the time it isn't actually difficult to do although having tools aplenty and space to work around it is very useful. Probably the mot frustrating was removing the NS outer wing, with the heater intake in the way of half of the bolts.

Having more than one person definitely recommended in offering up. Also think of the other things that you might want to consider before you fit it, such as paintwork or leaks. I can no longer remove my roof without dismantling the cage....

The big advantage of the pure external version is that there's very little disturbance of the interior trim. The internal part on mine doesn't really make it much smaller inside as the driver cab part is external. All of my load area trim had to be modified but that isn't a problem for me or the dog.
Post #657880 17th Oct 2017 3:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>