↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > LPG kit recommendations?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
skwdenyer

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Alpine White
LPG kit recommendations?
Hi there. Long-time lurker, finally got my long-broken 1987 V8 110 CSW back on the road, now need to keep the momentum up with a "rolling restoration." So after a little help.

I have an old (looks to be pre-2000 say) OVML kit on my beast. Tank (which was oddly fitted under the rear seat, with seat supports cut and welded to raise the seat to fit) has corroded. Everything about the kit is tired.

So I'm thinking of starting again. The beast is running on twin SUs, which themselves really could do with replacing, so I'd ideally be looking at a kit that will allow me to start on gas. I've had a new petrol tank fitted (for MOT, perhaps should have thought things through earlier, but hadn't clocked at that point that the LPG tank was rusted so heavily), so I'm looking at siting on a torpedo tank on one of the rear arches (I've got to forego one of the rearmost bench seats to satisfy my insurers, who won't quote sensibly on a vehicle with >7 seats, so I don't mind siting a tank there).

What are others' experiences with the different kits, components, approaches, mixers (plate between carb and manifold vs inline mixers vs other approaches), and so on?

Thanks!
Post #639155 23rd Jul 2017 2:52pm
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
I would suggest getting in touch with RPI if the carbs need doing as well. They seem to be pretty good on V8 stuff (although the only product of theirs I've used is an ignition amp) Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #639217 23rd Jul 2017 6:18pm
skwdenyer

The current carbs came from RPI.

RPI are not cheap, and I know their capabilities, but I'd like to get some other options to consider first.

Thank you
Post #639219 23rd Jul 2017 6:20pm
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
Please look carefully at our posts in the insurance section.
It was proving expensive on quotes for mine which currently has 9 seats. However one company refused to cover me at all when I said the front centre seat had been removed. Seat removal was an automatic no for quotes. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #639239 23rd Jul 2017 7:44pm
skwdenyer

Ramsay wrote:
Please look carefully at our posts in the insurance section.
It was proving expensive on quotes for mine which currently has 9 seats. However one company refused to cover me at all when I said the front centre seat had been removed. Seat removal was an automatic no for quotes.

Thanks. In my case, my broker - HIC - could not get a decent quote for me last time around (3 years ago or so - the beast has been off the road since then) for a 9 seater, but removing 1 rear bench (and I have no centre seat) got things sorted. Was about £280 3 years ago (with a declared LPG conversion) (I'm in London E1, so not usually cheap...). This time around it was £440 or so (which equates to about 16% pa uplift, which was a little ouch but seems to track what the overall market has been doing over the same period according to this:

https://www.confused.com/car-insurance/price-index

My suspicion is that it might be easier to do the 9/12 seater (no belts in the back, so I could declare it as 12) thing in a "better" area of the UK, where more companies are willing to quote at all![/url]
Post #639354 24th Jul 2017 9:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1