Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Will the TD5 fit the Puma gearbox
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
mrwoo wrote:
I think they developed a new bellhousing to mate the Puma engine to the ZF auto box, perhaps this same bellhousing may work with the 6 speed box. Alternativly with enough demand Dave may develop a new bell housing and sell it as a package with the box, especially with GKN overdrives being in short demand.

Rich

Are you there Ashcroft, any thoughts Dave?

Hi Rich,

we have looked into this but can't see a way of doing it,

the 6 speed has an integral bellhousing so you can't just make a new bellhousing like we did with the ZF to the puma, also the bellhousing diameter is quite small and will not fit over the TD5 clutch.

many people don't understand the 6 speed is not geared higher than the 5 speed, think of it as a 5 speed but with an additional extra low 1st gear, this allows them to fit the higher 1.211 ratio LT230 on the pumas.

many people fit the 1.2 to the TD5 and the higher gears are OK but the criticism can be that 1st is too high when towing, thats why they added the extra low 1st.

PS. what did everyone say when the TD5 came out ? " we want the 300, we don't need a complicated electronic TD5", ring any bells ! Dave
Post #6272 13th Jan 2009 10:03pm
busaboy74

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Alveston Red
So what do i need to do to gear up my td5? Sometimes you have to get lost to find yourself

www.comparethemeerkat.com

2002 Defender Td5 110 CSW Overland

2005 D3 TDV6 SE (for sale)
Post #6274 13th Jan 2009 10:45pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
[quote="ashtrans"]
mrwoo wrote:

PS. what did everyone say when the TD5 came out ? " we want the 300, we don't need a complicated electronic TD5", ring any bells !

Ive said that to a few people...couldnt agree more Mike
Post #6277 13th Jan 2009 11:07pm
mrwoo

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
I'm holding on to a big piece of wood here, but my Puma has done nearly 30k without any glitches and I think the engine is fantastic. I have had 13 Land Rovers up to now Series II, IIA, 3, 300TDi but no TD5. You can find plenty of transits (TDCi) with well over 100k on them which have had very hard lives and still going strong.

One thing I will say about the TD5 that may upset a few people but it was my choice, I bought the 300 after test driving 4 TD5's, and the choice was not over the electrics or lack of either.
Post #6287 14th Jan 2009 9:39am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
ashtrans wrote:

PS. what did everyone say when the TD5 came out ? " we want the 300, we don't need a complicated electronic TD5", ring any bells !

So why have you

ashtrans wrote:

My issue is, the Puma engine its not designed for the Defender so LR have had to add electronics, ie the idle jack to make it safer to use whilst in low range. Even though they have added these electronics its still a bitch to drive if you want to go real slow.
Its a thirsty engine compared to the TD5. I ran a TD5 and a Puma to Morocco both 110s with similar kit on, the TD5 still had 1/3 tank of fuel when the Puma was empty and this happened on every fuel stop, all vehicles were filled brim full and every time the Puma shouted first for a re-fill.
Dont start me on reliability issues Evil or Very Mad turbo, fuel system, vac pump, erg ect ect Big Cry
Post #6300 14th Jan 2009 6:49pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
I agree with you Andrews. But probably the TD5 was the same at the beginning. Unfortunately we are the lab mices of this model but it is necessary to give some time to LR to fix the bugs that the Puma currently have.
Unfortunately and due future EU regulations TD5 motor cannot be an alternative unless will be modified heavily.

By the way, and touching a big tree, Mine has been very decent in the last 16.000 km.

Regards Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #6301 14th Jan 2009 7:01pm
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
busaboy74 wrote:
So what do i need to do to gear up my td5?

Hi,

we fit the disco 1.2 gear kit :

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/part_34.html

very effective, nothing to go wrong, unlike the overdrives, Dave
Post #6302 14th Jan 2009 7:12pm
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
AndrewS wrote:
ashtrans wrote:

So why have you

ashtrans wrote:

My issue is, the Puma engine its not designed for the Defender so LR have had to add electronics, ie the idle jack to make it safer to use whilst in low range. Even though they have added these electronics its still a bitch to drive if you want to go real slow.
Its a thirsty engine compared to the TD5. I ran a TD5 and a Puma to Morocco both 110s with similar kit on, the TD5 still had 1/3 tank of fuel when the Puma was empty and this happened on every fuel stop, all vehicles were filled brim full and every time the Puma shouted first for a re-fill.
Dont start me on reliability issues Evil or Very Mad turbo, fuel system, vac pump, erg ect ect Big Cry

Andrew I am 100% with you on that one Thumbs Up
Post #6303 14th Jan 2009 7:20pm
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
AndrewS wrote:

So why have you

ashtrans wrote:

Hi Andrew,

we looked at it for a few reasons,

customers were asking us if this is possible,
we have a few new take out 6 speed boxes from the auto conversions,
it would compliment the 1.2 gears on the TD5, Dave
Post #6304 14th Jan 2009 7:20pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
[quote="mse"]
ashtrans wrote:
mrwoo wrote:

Ive said that to a few people...couldnt agree more

The only thing is.....................The Td5 was a totally new motor, the tranny engine is not.

Also, the current engine is suffering from problems Ford were having with the 'old' tranny engine back in 2001!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EGR probs vacuum pumps made from chocolate etc etc.

I really do hope they sort something out soon, I couldn't really care less about Fords reputation, but LR is a different matter Sad
Post #6305 14th Jan 2009 8:17pm
Nidge

Ireland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
The Boy is that your defender on the back of a tow truck in Feb. issue of LRM. Under a heading of Complaints and breakdowns !!

See your famous now for all the wrong reasons Laughing
Post #6306 14th Jan 2009 8:43pm
Eduardo

I dont like to start a competition between TD5s and Pumas, but remember that TD5 had almost 8 year to refine the bugs, Pumas have only 1 year.

In 8 years more (if this motor continues in the production line) probably we will se the same realiability as the TD5s.

My fear is that with the LR owner change, the Puma will be discontinued due the lack/cost of motors (Ford engineering) and be replaced by Fiat or other ones in the next future, given not time to solve the issues of the current motor, given not alternative for us.

Some people said that is better to start from something already proved and modify it to suit your needs and other said that is better start from scratch. But, is a matter of taste and money (it is less exoensive to modify). We can found success and big mistakes in both ways.

Cheers Eduardo

Click image to enlarge
Post #6307 14th Jan 2009 9:07pm
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Nidge wrote:
The Boy is that your defender on the back of a tow truck in Feb. issue of LRM. Under a heading of Complaints and breakdowns !!

See your famous now for all the wrong reasons Laughing

LOL YES!!!!! It is well know that my 110 has had a lot of trouble and many many recoverys and because of this I was asked if I had some photos of it being taken away on the the truck. Interestingly the Disco 2 in the photo below it was my brothers about four or five years ago in Southern Spain. At the time I had our trusty 200tdi and I did feel quite smug Laughing Laughing Don't feel so smug now though Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post #6308 14th Jan 2009 9:09pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Eduardo wrote:
I dont like to start a competition between TD5s and Pumas, but remember that TD5 had almost 8 year to refine the bugs, Pumas have only 1 year.

In 8 years more (if this motor continues in the production line) probably we will se the same realiability as the TD5s.

My fear is that with the LR owner change, the Puma will be discontinued due the lack/cost of motors (Ford engineering) and be replaced by Fiat or other ones in the next future, given not time to solve the issues of the current motor, given not alternative for us.

Some people said that is better to start from something already proved and modify it to suit your needs and other said that is better start from scratch. But, is a matter of taste and money (it is less exoensive to modify). We can found success and big mistakes in both ways.

Cheers

The TD5 never had the issues the Puma has. Also note that at launch the TD5 was a new engine so a few problems would be expected. Can someone tell me how old the Puma is Question
Post #6309 15th Jan 2009 12:42am
Eduardo

AndrewS,

The issue of the failures in the TD5 at the beginning has been discused in other posts like
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic588.html

As I said there, 10 years ago the forums were not so spread like today and we didn't had the opportunity to know every failure that the TD5 has in the beginning like today with the Puma.

Has I said I don't like to start a competion between both models.

In my opinion currently TD5 and Puma have they pros and cons.
Give time to the time and probably we will have a good Puma like the TD5 is in the next future (if they not change the motor... I hope).

Regards Eduardo

Click image to enlarge
Post #6310 15th Jan 2009 2:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>